Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    There are people that seem to think that we should settle for nothing less than PERFECTION out of this team. A team made up of young men and led by coaches that are not that much older than some of them. Nothing short of perfection will make them happy, so they spend their whole lives unhappy. I totally understand the desire for perfection, but totally do not understand the reluctance to accept anything short of it. To refuse to be happy with anything short of it.
    Vince Lombardi had a saying that he wanted his players to try to reach perfection…with the knowledge that they never would….in hopes that by reaching for perfection they might attain exceptional. I see the same thing over on the UC Football board. Seems ironic to me that at a time of year when we celebrate Thanksgiving, that there are people that don’t seem to grasp that despite all the flaws that there is a lot to be thankful for.

Some people are only happy when they have something to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Either that or they’re happy trying to bring others down with them. Think most of us have been to work meetings and there are those who will complain about everything. Especially with management and the direction of the company. As they do this, they are trying to find allies which brings them some kind of weird happiness. Misery loves company I guess.

Oh well, back to basketball…

Sophomore
    my wife started watching games(no knowledge at all)when both girls at X the Wisconsin year so saw a 2 seed, elite 8 and 1 seed. Last 3 have been below those special times and last year when she asked "why is this happening" , "why are we losing" i told her "the other team wants to win too". We forget that sometimes

For me it’s exhaustion with Steele. Chucking threes and not much of an inside game. That said, they have been trying to change the last couple of games and that VaTech win was a must for March. Really want to see these guys put it together and it can be frustrating to see the team fall back into bad habits.

Good and very necessary win! Let’s go X! Who’s up next!?!
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Hopefully get everyone healthy this week.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by stammina0721 View Post
    You people really are insufferable. We know the deficiencies be happy with beating a will be NCAA tournament team as a nice resume win. Sorry it couldn't be the perfect game assholes
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    There are people that seem to think that we should settle for nothing less than PERFECTION out of this team. A team made up of young men and led by coaches that are not that much older than some of them. Nothing short of perfection will make them happy, so they spend their whole lives unhappy. I totally understand the desire for perfection, but totally do not understand the reluctance to accept anything short of it. To refuse to be happy with anything short of it.
    Vince Lombardi had a saying that he wanted his players to try to reach perfectionÂ…with the knowledge that they never wouldÂ….in hopes that by reaching for perfection they might attain exceptional. I see the same thing over on the UC Football board. Seems ironic to me that at a time of year when we celebrate Thanksgiving, that there are people that donÂ’t seem to grasp that despite all the flaws that there is a lot to be thankful for.

I don’t really see anyone who isn’t happy we beat VT? I’m thankful for a ton in my life, I will admit Steel coaching Xavier basketball isn’t very high on the list. I also wish Xavier basketball would return to playing in the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tournament. I’m sure the university does too, it’s great for Xavier when basketball is good.

This team def has the pieces to be very, very good. I highly doubt anyone wants Steele to fail, that would be pretty depressing. I also think if he misses the tournament with this team, he probably shouldn’t be coaching here next year. Is that unfair?

X has missed the tournament 3 years in a row, that’s a far cry from perfection. At what point are we allowed to stop accepting that from a coach who is paid to achieve better results?

Quote Originally Posted by kxblue View Post
    I don’t really see anyone who isn’t happy we beat VT? I’m thankful for a ton in my life, I will admit Steel coaching Xavier basketball isn’t very high on the list. I also wish Xavier basketball would return to playing in the 2nd weekend of the ncaa tournament. I’m sure the university does too, it’s great for Xavier when basketball is good.

This team def has the pieces to be very, very good. I highly doubt anyone wants Steele to fail, that would be pretty depressing. I also think if he misses the tournament with this team, he probably shouldn’t be coaching here next year. Is that unfair?

X has missed the tournament 3 years in a row, that’s a far cry from perfection. At what point are we allowed to stop accepting that from a coach who is paid to achieve better results?
    I agree with everything you’re saying. No argument. The problem isn’t that people want the team to play consistently well and to be successful. Nor is the team above criticism, nor is the coaching staff. The problem that annoys many of us is the consistent bitching and moaning over every little deficiency that comes up before, during, and after every single game. Even when they win easily some people find something to complain about. Like, “so and so didn’t get any playing time”, or “so and so missed all their free throws”. Wow, we can’t all see those things? Even more annoying is the complaining that comes up when the team pulls out a win that they probably shouldn’t have. Like in the VT game. X was an underdog even before the players got sick. They could play that game with those lineups 10 times and X might win twice. Yet they won! Instead of concentrating on what went wrong, why not just this time concentrate on what went right!? What they did well? There will be plenty of times where X loses this season and where the reasons for those loses will be discussed and complained about ad nauseam. But it seems that virtually every thread on here becomes a bash Steele thread at some point, even after a good and unexpected win. We get it. This season is probably a make or break season for Steele ( however since none of us are the ones that make that decision it’s not really up to what we think, is it?) and we ALL want to see the program back at the heights it was before. All I’m saying is to not to forget to enjoy the journey as much as we can and to not dwell so much on the destination that one fails to realize and celebrate the small victories and steps along the way.

Junior
    Well, I try to remind myself every season is different. After losing to what I thought was a bad loss in Iowa state, I had to remind myself it’s a long season and we will have tough games. It’s just hard when we’ve seen same issues from past 3 years, that’s the frustrating part. Beating VT on short turn around without two starters and their 6th man was a great bounce back though- I don’t care how that win looks….that’s solid.

Supporting Member
    Pretty sure we are all happy that x won this game. The worry is for the rest of the season, specifically big East conference play because the offense is essentially the same offense it has been for the last three seasons and that’s not been a formula that gets the team into the tourney. In other words, we have some serious scars over the last three years of watching mediocre basketball. my opinion, this team needs to come out every game with a concerted effort to pound the paint and be physical at the beginnng of the game, like they did against Ohio state, which then opens up the other facets of the offense.

I’m very interested to see how the team looks if and when free is completely healthy and ready to roll.

Another musing, Oklahoma state is probably going to be really tough for x on Sunday…they are long, athletic, and play outstanding defense. Not a great matchup on a Sunday afternoon, but a win would be absolutely gigantic for the resume since I believe it’s the only true road game in the non con
    Last edited by Xville; 11-29-2021 at 07:35 AM.