Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to move on

Maybe the NIL rules save schools some money then. The car dealer will make the direct payment.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Yes, they do. There was a time I could believe Cal cheated his way to Kentucky and at that point didn’t need To anymore. Playing and for cal essentially was a ticket to the NBA so no need to cheat. Could it be that way for Gonzaga? Nova? Sure. But I don’t think that’s the case anymore- all teams cheat.

I also don’t care too much, It’s not obvious. If you think a top 75 program is clean- you are lying to yourself. I even thought I remember low level mid major teams were paying for kids to commit. I wouldn’t be surprised at high level D2 teams either. I think the NCAA exists to make it appear teams are following rules

And you of course have proof of this, right? Otherwise it’s just your belief and nothing more. You’re making some really serious accusations against a lot of people here….administrators, coaches, players, parents….virtually everyone in any way associated with college basketball. You’re even indirectly pointing the figure at high school coaches, because I’ll guarantee you that if there is money exchanging hands the HS coaches will hear about it. You are basing this on what? Some stories that you’ve read about some cheating that has gone on? Some opinions that others have espoused? Or do you have personal firsthand knowledge of this happening to someone you know? What really gets me about these type of blanket statements is that you are basically accusing each and every student athlete of being dirty. Of either profiting directly, or at the very least staying quiet about the cheating they see going on. In addition, by calling for the hiring of someone that is a known cheater of the highest level, you are condoning it! “Everyone is doing it”, so X needs to step up their game and do more of it too? Is X winning basketball games that important to you that you want to see them cheat to do so? I seriously hope that is not the case, but for some of the people here I really wonder if that’s really not where they are at. Far be it for me to lecture anyone on virtue and ethics, Lord knows that I’ve made my fair share of mistakes and more. But if it means that much to anyone that they will condone cheating, I’d suggest getting a different hobby. Go play more golf, everyone i know cheats on the golf course. Me included.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    And you of course have proof of this, right? Otherwise it’s just your belief and nothing more. You’re making some really serious accusations against a lot of people here….administrators, coaches, players, parents….virtually everyone in any way associated with college basketball. You’re even indirectly pointing the figure at high school coaches, because I’ll guarantee you that if there is money exchanging hands the HS coaches will hear about it. You are basing this on what? Some stories that you’ve read about some cheating that has gone on? Some opinions that others have espoused? Or do you have personal firsthand knowledge of this happening to someone you know? What really gets me about these type of blanket statements is that you are basically accusing each and every student athlete of being dirty. Of either profiting directly, or at the very least staying quiet about the cheating they see going on. In addition, by calling for the hiring of someone that is a known cheater of the highest level, you are condoning it! “Everyone is doing it”, so X needs to step up their game and do more of it too? Is X winning basketball games that important to you that you want to see them cheat to do so? I seriously hope that is not the case, but for some of the people here I really wonder if that’s really not where they are at. Far be it for me to lecture anyone on virtue and ethics, Lord knows that I’ve made my fair share of mistakes and more. But if it means that much to anyone that they will condone cheating, I’d suggest getting a different hobby. Go play more golf, everyone i know cheats on the golf course. Me included.
    Not that I condone it nor do I have first hand knowledge that it goes on everywhere but when you see low level schools get busted for cheating, it’s kind of a stretch to believe that not everyone is doing it..major schools are just better hiding it, or at least some of them are.

I’ll just say I have heard plenty of stories from a few former players and people with knowledge of the situation from schools in ky and Ohio…not to the level of what was going on at Louisville, but still not clean. I just find it hard to believe that all these kids aren’t getting something at this level of basketball.
    Last edited by Xville; 11-26-2021 at 07:13 AM.

I think that there is a difference between "cheating" and "breaking some rules". For example.....the coach at UC got in some trouble for paying the co-pay for a player to see a mental health professional. Is that cheating? Or is it he broke a (stupid) rule? I'd contend that while both are wrong, he wasn't really "cheating" to get a competitive advantage. Technically, as an alumnus of Xavier it would be against the rules for me to buy any current student-athlete, or a HS student that is being actively recruited by Xavier, as much as a coke. Even if they were known to me all of their lives and were family friends. Yet I did exactly that thing for a friend mine after I had graduated, and while he was a scholarship athlete at X. We didn't know any better at the time. The NCAA has a lot of stupid rules like that, and I have no doubt that many are broken on a daily basis. But I don't look at something like that as cheating. I've seen coaches reach into their own pockets to buy a poor kid some clothes, or gas money for their car so that they could get home on a break. I've no doubt that things like that go on almost everywhere, probably even at the lowest level of NCAA schools. But there is a clear difference (to me) between doing things like that (which are against NCAA regs) and sending thousands of dollars to agents to have kids steered to your school. Virtually every high-level school has a person or an office whose sole job is to make sure that they are following NCAA regulations, Xavier included. Administrators, coaches, staff, players, etc. all go through education on what is and is not within the rules of the NCAA. Even then, rules do get broken. Often it is a case of interpretation of the rules being a different matter of opinion, or of a rule not being known by either a coach or a student-athlete. But Arizona, with Miller being the Head Coach bearing the responsibility, went far beyond just misinterpreting some rules, or trying to help out a player in a moment of need. Xavier needs to stay away from him and anyone that was a part of the whole mess there, or anywhere else where that type of thing went on.

Supporting Member
    Xavier needs to stay away from him and anyone that was a part of the whole mess there, or anywhere else where that type of thing went on.
    Yes. Engaging in shady conduct or activity just because "everybody else is doing it" isn't a compelling argument.

As my Mom used to say............"so if everybody is jumping off a cliff, you're going to go jump off a cliff too?"

Who? What? When? Where? and How?

All else is hot air. Move on.

Think it depends on what people consider cheating to be honest. Are stipends for food on holiday tournaments, that the players eat meals with the team so get to pocket a few hundred dollars and spend it on whatever considered cheating (this happens at WVU, I have a friend who played there)?? Is supplying players with new shoes, a playstation or something of that nature considered cheating (this happens even at Miami of Ohio, where I had another friend who played there recently), or are we just talking about straight up paying players only cash?

The former happens at every single school, the latter may not be as much. I consider the former "stretching the rules" which I believe every single school does, the latter, I don't think happens at every school.

Junior
    Something involving cash? I don't care.
    Texting players during a silent period? Also meh.
    Slimy things such as drugs, prostitution, sexual abuse, etc? Don't want that in the program.
    zip em up

Well now, I wonder what some people have to say about moving on after that VT game? I’m no Steele apologist by any means, but I do think that we need to wait and see how the season plays out before making any decisions.

Well now, I wonder what some people have to say about moving on after that VT game? I’m no Steele apologist by any means, but I do think that we need to wait and see how the season plays out before making any decisions.
    That game really didn’t change my opinion of Steele at all. He should be coaching for his job this season, and I’m not sure if just making the NCAA tournament (which is far from a given) should be enough.
    Eat Donuts!