Page 27 of 30 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to move on

Quote Originally Posted by MADXSTER View Post
    Xville, you do bitch about everything Steele related. If he made a tweak here or there, you'd bitch about not making big changes. About same old same old and expecting different results. You and MOR both hate on Steele every chance you get. It's old.
    Honest accurate critique is different than “hating”. And please point out this year where, especially after losses, where I have come on here to trash him.
    I’ve stated clearly that He’s getting better. The first three years were a waste of talent.
    You really don’t want me to bring up the last 2 years BE Tournament games Xavier played in do you?
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Honest accurate critique is different than “hating”. And please point out this year where, especially after losses, where I have come on here to trash him.
    I’ve stated clearly that He’s getting better. The first three years were a waste of talent.
    You really don’t want me to bring up the last 2 years BE Tournament games Xavier played in do you?
    As long as he continues to get better, I’m on board. I think he was a bit over his skis initially, but we are ranked, and he’s improving. That’s what you hope for. Making a change for the sake of change offers no guarantees. I like our stability, and I want him to get every chance possible. I realize it’s been disappointing early, but it’s also been the strangest two years of my life. Not an excuse, just a fact.

I like the path of patience and remaining hopeful, until it’s absolutely clear we will not get back to where we expect Xavier basketball to be. I really like the recruiting, and that’s much of the battle. Keep getting better in practice and on game days. It’s only natural to get better at your job as time goes by. The rest of this season will be telling.

Sophomore
    I'm psyched about this season and about next year's freshmen. I don't know that I'm sold on Steele as some super-recruiter though (which is used a lot to justify having patience with him learning on the job). That Freemantle-Tandy class was very highly rated, but it looks worse every year. We may have only one solid starter out of that class. Jones and Odom seem destined for big things. Miles...

I have not heard anything encouraging about Tucker (who was rated fairly high for being such a longshot project) and Edwards can't see the floor at all (and we bring back all our bigs), so this year feels lost.

I will say that college basketball recruiting IS different now with the portal, and Nunge is a home run and Kunkel is a very good pickup. Even Hunter (I was surprised we took him) has been a solid role player and has potential. Steele has done well with transfers.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post

You are obviously hell bent on trying to prove that Steele cant (or doesnt want to) recruit a physical big man, but the facts are crystal clear here.
    Well we have a different definition of "crystal clear" then. I'm not trying to "prove" anything - it seems pretty obvious to anyone watching he's not bringing in power forwards. That's all the proof needed. Just look at next year's class - good class, but same type of players. He's done that every year he's been here.

We are severely lacking at the PF position - like I said, you can overcome that with depth and great shooting. We have one, but not the other. It will be the difference between potentially winning the Big East or meddling in the middle.
    Last edited by drudy23; 01-21-2022 at 08:04 AM.

Supporting Member
    It would be really beneficial for next year if Edwards could put on another 10-15 pounds and be that beefy guy. I have no idea what the staff’s plans are for him but just a thought.

Free, nunge and hunter will all have 2 years left after this year, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Well we have a different definition of "crystal clear" then. I'm not trying to "prove" anything - it seems pretty obvious to anyone watching he's not bringing in power forwards. That's all the proof needed. Just look at next year's class - good class, but same type of players. He's done that every year he's been here.

We are severely lacking at the PF position - like I said, you can overcome that with depth and great shooting. We have one, but not the other. It will be the difference between potentially winning the Big East or meddling in the middle.
    For the 2022 recruiting class for X, maybe Claude (6'4 pg/sg) is a common type of recruit X and Steele has landed. Craft and Ward are different as far as rankings and size/talent.
    In 4 years, he has brought in shooting guards(lots have not panned out).

Ward and Craft have height and athleticism and have been offered by better programs than X. Top 60 talent is not too common here at X. And when all 3 recruits are top 85, it is exciting.
    Only recruits somewhat similar to Ward and Craft would be Colby Jones, Dontarius James, and Keonte Kennedy. (6'5-6'7) . I hope this length AND talent leads to superior defense and shooting (Craft as legit scorer, Ward defender, Claude who knows)
    Last edited by xukeith; 01-21-2022 at 08:24 AM.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    For the 2022 recruiting class for X, maybe Claude (6'4 pg/sg) is a common type of recruit X and Steele have landed. But no way do Craft and Ward remind fans of recruits which have been brought in by Steele.

Ward and Craft have height and athleticism and have been offered by better programs for X. Top 60 talent is not too common here at X.
    Only recruits somewhat similar to Ward and Craft would be Colby Jones, Dontarius James, and Keonte Kennedy. (6'5-6'7) . I hope this length AND talent leads to superior defense and shouting (Craft as legit scorer, Ward defender, Claude who knows)
    Similar in terms of perimeter oriented guys. If he recruits a SF, it's a perimeter oriented guy. Once again, we have no post players in this class. Are we no longer into developing big men?

Who is the last PF he recruited and developed into a contributor? Hankins was a C, if you buy Steele recruited him.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    For the 2022 recruiting class for X, maybe Claude (6'4 pg/sg) is a common type of recruit X and Steele has landed. Craft and Ward are different as far as rankings and size/talent.

Ward and Craft have height and athleticism and have been offered by better programs than X. Top 60 talent is not too common here at X. And when all 3 recruits are top 85, it is exciting.
    Only recruits somewhat similar to Ward and Craft would be Colby Jones, Dontarius James, and Keonte Kennedy. (6'5-6'7) . I hope this length AND talent leads to superior defense and shooting (Craft as legit scorer, Ward defender, Claude who knows)
    It is for sure a great class on paper and it is exciting. Definitely pumped to see these guys in action and watch them develop. Maybe I’m just screaming out into the void and it’s not going to happen, but I’d think if you want a complete team, you would get a guy or two here and there like an Eric Dixon or whatever big beefy dude is out there. I understand those are few and far between, but it seems Steele doesn’t even attempt to get those guys which to me is a bit odd considering the league x plays in.

Similar in terms of perimeter oriented guys. If he recruits a SF, it's a perimeter oriented guy. Once again, we have no post players in this class. Are we no longer into developing big men?

Who is the last PF he recruited and developed into a contributor? Hankins was a C, if you buy Steele recruited him.
    If Jack Nunge leaves early (He’s in grad school now) we are screwed next year.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Recruited? Several

Landed? Projects

Developed….0

Have to ask….does that show a need for a different big man coach and/or conditioning and strength coach? Does that mean that there needs to be a different emphasis on recruiting bigs that are not just projects? Does it mean playing a different style? A little of all of those things?

I did notice that according to VerbalCommits that X just dropped two scholarship offers on a couple of 6’10” players for the 2023 class, on Wednesday and Thursday. Also Claude mentioned that one of the things that he liked about X was that they were going to have a couple of experienced bigs there for the next couple of years. So maybe, just maybe, Steele has realized that he needs to put a little more emphasis on getting those kinds of players and that he can’t just recruit good wings/guards and hope that a big project will work out. You can’t count on getting a Nunge out of the transfer ranks every year.

I’m hopeful that is the case, but I’m in the “show me” school now. I’ll wait and see, but I’m not willing to wait much longer.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-21-2022 at 08:42 AM.