Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to move on

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    That’s a bit illogical but that’s OK. Point remains why wouldn’t you want to be Villanova west (or Gonzaga east).
    Hasn't he noticed that Nova has a couple 250 pounders he uses in the paint.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    That’s a bit illogical but that’s OK. Point remains why wouldn’t you want to be Villanova west (or Gonzaga east).
    My point is if Steele is trying to be Villanova west, he’s doing a really bad job at it. And quite frankly, the copy is never as good as the original. Xavier had a system and a brand for a long time, and it was working. He could have made a tweak here and there that fit his vision but kept in line with what Xavier has been.
    Last edited by Xville; 01-20-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    My point is if Steele is trying to be Villanova west, he’s doing a really bad job at it. And quite frankly, the copy is never as good as the original. Xavier had a system and a brand for a long time, and it was working. He could have made a tweak here and there that fit his vision but kept in line with what Xavier has been.
    Xville, you do bitch about everything Steele related. If he made a tweak here or there, you'd bitch about not making big changes. About same old same old and expecting different results. You and MOR both hate on Steele every chance you get. It's old.
    Balls of Steele!!

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Both Hankins and Tyrique were Mack guys - yes, Steele was a coach, but he recruits to the wants of the head coach.

Steele has yet to recruit or transfer in a power forward that has been a force in the paint.

It's obvious by roster construction and recruiting pipeline how he wants to play.
    https://hartonhoops.wordpress.com/20...-zach-hankins/

Newly appointed Xavier head coach Travis Steele knew that he needed to add depth in Xavier’s frontcourt so he struck quickly, landing 6-foot-11 center Zach Hankins. Playing for Division II Ferris State, Hankins averaged 15.1 points and 9.7 rebounds on his way to winning National Player of the Year and a Division II championship.

On the matter of questioning decisioning Re line-ups:

"This has been a pattern the last three games," said Steele. "You look at Villanova, look at Creighton, and this DePaul game – you can't dig yourself a hole in this league."

When asked about the slow starts, Steele said, "I gotta look maybe at lineups too, you know, we gotta dive into the analytical numbers a little bit deeper.

"... You gotta put 40 minutes together in this league. You cannot allow teams to win a four-minute war 17-6. That just can't happen. It doesn't happen to good teams. So we gotta get that fixed, we're addressing it."
    X A V I E R

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Hasn't he noticed that Nova has a couple 250 pounders he uses in the paint.
    Also I think that most of Gonzaga's better teams have featured at least one legit big guy who can bang.
    Eat Donuts!

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    What do you feel like the brand was? I think under Sean it was Strong D, rebounding, development. (Toughness). And Mack was more of an offensive guy, who everyone complained couldn’t develop guys. Constant arguments on “has anyone actually improved from day one”. And that was what the brand was with Sean and A-10 teams. Development and toughness. That wasn’t the case with Mack at all. Certainly both had similar cockiness about them.

I guess I just see two different styles and brands though. I guess both brands at least was a constant tournament threat.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    https://hartonhoops.wordpress.com/20...-zach-hankins/

Newly appointed Xavier head coach Travis Steele knew that he needed to add depth in Xavier’s frontcourt so he struck quickly, landing 6-foot-11 center Zach Hankins. Playing for Division II Ferris State, Hankins averaged 15.1 points and 9.7 rebounds on his way to winning National Player of the Year and a Division II championship.
    He was an original Mack recruit. Mack left for Louisville and he questioned committing to X - Steele sealed the deal.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    What do you feel like the brand was? I think under Sean it was Strong D, rebounding, development. (Toughness). And Mack was more of an offensive guy, who everyone complained couldn’t develop guys. Constant arguments on “has anyone actually improved from day one”. And that was what the brand was with Sean and A-10 teams. Development and toughness. That wasn’t the case with Mack at all. Certainly both had similar cockiness about them.

I guess I just see two different styles and brands though. I guess both brands at least was a constant tournament threat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post

I guess brand may have been the wrong word. When I think of Xavier from Marta thru mack I think power forward u and toughness at all spots. I understand the game has changed and everyone wants to shoot the 3 but I think in the big East you absolutely have to have a few beefy guys that will get dirty, rebound and intimidate.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    He was an original Mack recruit. Mack left for Louisville and he questioned committing to X - Steele sealed the deal.
    So he's Steele's recruit?

I'm not understanding. Steele recruited him as an assistant for Mack, is that correct?

And then Mack left, and Steele had no obligation to continue the recruitment of Zach. But he did. Which meant he decided to recruit him on his own.

And further, like just one month prior to his commitment, wasn't Hankins an active player for Ferris State? So as an active player who had not declared his intention to Transfer, wouldn't it have been impermissible for ANYONE to recruit him?

You are obviously hell bent on trying to prove that Steele cant (or doesnt want to) recruit a physical big man, but the facts are crystal clear here.

Travis gets credit for bringing in Hankins. He misused him for half a year, but he did bring him in.