Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 LastLast
    Sophomore
    we were bad on offense except for Nunge. On defense we were killed by a one on one player making and taking his own shots. We should have played him to drive left and dare him to go right but we probably thought he would get cold but of course he did not and the dead ball 3 proved it was his night.Also at leas 2 cross court picks for layups. Scruggs is going to have to make quicker decisions as no one is going to let him easily get to his spot which of course means we need Nate and others to hit shots off double and hard to imagine Jerome H doing it(he is not bad at other aspects but they ALL need a tighter handle). Worst play of night was that seeming dead ball that was last basket of 8-0 run to start second half..Odom and Scruggs seemed to thing ball not in play. Even when Paul is off I hope for a better floor game and a little better contest of Brockington(or other big east 2 guards). Almost wonder if Paul is mentally fatigued after 5 years..he has been a key so long he actually put us ahead against FSU by 2 pos with a minute to go in 2018! Most other 5th yr players (Gillespie, etc) were role players their first year or two.
    Last edited by whopper; 11-24-2021 at 09:30 PM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Scruggs was shown in a closeup near the end of the game, when he was sitting on the bench. He definitely looked like he wasn’t feeling well to me. Considering what he is capable of and how badly he played, I wonder if he is also sick but tried to tough it out?

Hunter….PLEASE stop shooting 3’s !!!! You can’t make them!
    I’m sure he felt like dog crap after that performance. Look, he does this all the time— great one game, bleh the next. It is what he is, and we all know this. We keep waiting for him to become the alpha, and he just isn’t. He’s a terrific talent with some sort of basketball personality disorder.

As for Hunter, I sure wish we had ISU’s Hunter tonight instead. I joked about this earlier, but doesn’t it seem apparent he came to X because he was told he could shoot as many 3s as he wants? Sometimes Steele strikes me as that sort of used car salesman.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Waiting for the Steele defenders excusing this loss because Freemantle and Kunkel were out.

At .195 FG%, Jerome Hunter is below the Mendoza Line. Let that sink in.

But don't worry Xavier fans, because MCL does not flinch at going 3-21 from three.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Waiting for the Steele defenders excusing this loss because Freemantle and Kunkel were out.
    I won't use that to defend the coach.
    But I sure am looking forward to having them back in the lineup.
    I think we'll be better for it.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Sophomore
    I will say if Scruggs has a below average game (instead of 1-14 say 5-14 and 2-5 from 3) and 2 FT(instead of 0) and Brockington does not have a career (12-19 and 4-5 from 3 ) like 10-19 2-5 from 3 we actually win the game. To have those 2 events happen in the same game is an unfortunate coincidence. He got no FT and deserved 2 or 4 and if that happens they play him less close and maybe basket opens up. Lets hope this an is anamoly. Hunter needs to play with Nate and Kunkel to have a 3 point target so he can drive and dish. Nate was OK, Dwon good, Nunge great, Deointe OK but you can't have that type of disparity at one position

All-Conference
    This team is obviously more efficient with Nunge in the game. We he gets touches, good things happen. His presence allows our best players to do their thing.

When he's not in the game, it's the same ole same ole. Jacking 3s, defenses dictating our offense, and the wrong guys taking the wrong shots.

For the love of God, when Free comes back, play these two together - ALOT! And please don't plant Free on the 3 point line for the majority of the game.

Steele continues to want this team to be a perimeter first team, when it's obvious our best basketball is played inside out. He can't help himself - the second we get into trouble, it's lineups and decisions that fall back to trying to be Villanova.

We have 2 7-footers - why can't they play at the same time?

Junior
    What's with X and Holiday Tournaments ? How many times have we come out looking like a 3rd grade CYO team, no matter who the coach ? They said on tv that Nunge has 2 more seasons left, if so, that's something to look forward to. How can we be totally locked in, even Steele, for OSU, and look totally clueless 7 days later ? The OSU game proved they are capable, it's up to the whole team to play that way every game. I'm old, I want them to succeed this year, not fire Steele and start over. But if that's what it takes, I'll deal with it. BTW, could someone sprain a couple of Hunter's fingers so that he can't shoot ? And Miles has 5 fouls to give , so how about a couple of opponents driving the lane get clotheslined. As I remember that's what Nova did to Sumner.
    Last edited by JTG; 11-25-2021 at 08:48 AM.

All-Conference
    Hunter has legit turned into a Jason Carter clone. Hunter is a better player, but his impact is currently exactly the same.

If you continue to plant Hunter on the perimeter in a 4 or 5 out concept, your offensive efficiency is screwed. We don't have the personnel for defenses to care.

This is apparently extremely obvious to our opponent's coach - why isn't it obvious to Steele? 3rd on the team in FG attempts, 20 3-point FG attempts - what are we doing!!!!!!! It's like we lifted Carter and just replaced him with Carter!!

For the love of God, he's shooting 10% from 3 - 10%!!!!
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-25-2021 at 08:53 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Hunter has legit turned into a Jason Carter clone. Hunter is a better player, but his impact is currently exactly the same.

If you continue to plant Hunter on the perimeter in a 4 or 5 out concept, your offensive efficiency is screwed. We don't have the personnel for defenses to care.

This is apparently extremely obvious to our opponent's coach - why isn't it obvious to Steele? 3rd on the team in FG attempts, 20 3-point FG attempts - what are we doing!!!!!!! It's like we lifted Carter and just replaced him with Carter!!

For the love of God, he's shooting 10% from 3 - 10%!!!!
    and the 3pt of Hunter have been largely uncontested.not end of shot clock heaves. There is a school of thought that says it is good to get them up, no turnover and chance of offensive rebound, but not at this percentage. He is not being played there like they would not guard Tyrique there.

Sophomore
    Johnson and Kunkel have missed some open 3s, but they typically are good shots and look very close to going in at least. Hunter fires at will and you rarely even have hope of it going in. It's not like he's just a hair off, guy is clanging them hard. He does not look much like a shooter. Although I do think he's still a better fit in our lineup than JC, just stop chucking so much.