Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterBailey84 View Post
    Goes to show just how meaningless November is in college basketball as well.
    I can see why people would say that, but I really don't agree. I think one of the things that's great about college basketball in November is that it is so important.

If you want to make the NCAA Tournament, you need to play in and win games that are hard to win. Big wins in November pretty much count the same as big wins at any other time of the year. If you're in a league like the Big East, and you have those opportunities all season long, then you still shouldn't just mail it in in November, but if you do, you still have chances. But if you're...say...Saint Bonaventure, or Colorado State, or Drake, or even Gonzaga, this part of the season is HUGE! Teams like that take the floor knowing they have to win these big games NOW because they don't get these kinds of chances to do it later on. If they don't win now, then one of the games they do win better be that last conference tournament game, because that's the only way they're making it.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

All-Conference
    We are currently #1 in the RPI!!!

Yes I know it's too early to mean anything.

This is the 7th time Steele has had a team in the top 25 of the AP Poll. All of the rankings were in Nov/Dec.

2018-2019: 0 weeks

2019-2020: 5 weeks

10/21/19 #19
    11/11/19 #21
    11/18/19 #18
    11/25/19 #25
    12/09/19 #23

2020-2021: 1 week

12/21/20 #22

2021-2022: 1 week (so far)

11/22/21 #25

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I can see why people would say that, but I really don't agree. I think one of the things that's great about college basketball in November is that it is so important.

If you want to make the NCAA Tournament, you need to play in and win games that are hard to win. Big wins in November pretty much count the same as big wins at any other time of the year. If you're in a league like the Big East, and you have those opportunities all season long, then you still shouldn't just mail it in in November, but if you do, you still have chances. But if you're...say...Saint Bonaventure, or Colorado State, or Drake, or even Gonzaga, this part of the season is HUGE! Teams like that take the floor knowing they have to win these big games NOW because they don't get these kinds of chances to do it later on. If they don't win now, then one of the games they do win better be that last conference tournament game, because that's the only way they're making it.
    Agreed, that and also even though we aren't really that great in the Thanksgiving tournaments they are fun as hell to watch, a lot of good basketball going on during feast week, I mean hell we got #1 vs #2 tonight. Even if they don't end up as the top two teams, it makes for an interesting watch.

IMO, the Cyclones and Bearcats are must win games to assure a favorable OOC come selection Sunday. A win vs Memphis would nicely negate stubbing our toe in those 2 contests, but that now appears to be a high bar.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    IMO, the Cyclones and Bearcats are must win games to assure a favorable OOC come selection Sunday. A win vs Memphis would nicely negate stubbing our toe in those 2 contests, but that now appears to be a high bar.
    I think I agree with Iowa state just based on the complete rebuilding job they are having to go thru…will know more tonight once we see them live. From what I see of uc so far, I think they may win a lot of games in the American. Wes Miller has them playing really well…they almost beat Arkansas last night who should finish in the top 3 in a good sec.

Of course with that said, we never want to lose to uc :)
    Last edited by Xville; 11-24-2021 at 04:26 PM.

New Polls out

Iowa State #19 in the AP, #23 in the coaches

X is #32 in AP, #35 in the coaches

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Based on results to date, that's fair for Iowa State. I'll still take the under on them making the Tournament.

Freshman
    You lose to #19 on a neutral court and you drop from #25 to #32…………seems a bit harsh.

Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    You lose to #19 on a neutral court and you drop from #25 to #32…………seems a bit harsh.
    Short a first team all big east player and one of the key guys off the bench in Kunkel.

The pollers don't care.......