Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Agree - but thatÂ’s really, really hard to do against a zone off the dribble when you canÂ’t shoot.

ThatÂ’s why KyKy and Kunkel are best answers against a zone. Both are capable shooters, which is an obvious plus in making shots, but it also assures defenses have to guard them, which allows the gaps to develop. Every defender is going to give Dwon 5 feet of space when he has the ball on the perimeter.
    Drudy - I think you're too tough on Odom. He's not a terrible shooter. He is a terrible spot up shooter, particularly from beyond the arc. He is very good off the dribble and has an important role to play even against a zone. He can split a zone, take the shot from the high post or paint or dish. That is his game and he's good at it. He is a liability if we need to count on him in the way we rely on Nate Johnson. As for his decision making, I disagree with you on that as well. He has made some bad calls as have his teammates but I don't see anything he did as egregious. He showed last year that he can win games for us. I'm sure that hasn't changed. He displays a warrior mentality that I love and which this team badly needs.

We are passing judgement after one game on some of these players after one game. Let's give them a few more opportunities. As far as Nate goes, we need to get him into the game early and look for him. I think one of our goals in the first few minutes of every game should be to look for Scruggs and Johnson. They seem to need to have the ball early in the game to become involved. Not so with Jones. He does enough things well that he will have plenty of opportunities to score---from his defense, rebounding, or work at the offensive end. Many of our players (in fact, many players in general) need to see the ball on offense to become fully engaged at both ends. We should make sure that our best players and scorers get the ball early in the game. Then, players need to understand, with clarity, what role they must play for this team to succeed. Weds, night, it seems, everyone had the green light. That seems counterproductive and the team looked rushed and confused on the court.

Our strategy for individual players should be to put them into situations where they can use their strengths. The opposing team will want to push them into situations that are relative weaknesses for them. So, ball discipline is important. I like parts of Hunter's game---his defense, rebounding + free throw shooting. But, we should not have him standing in the corner, on offense, waiting for the ball to swing around so he can launch a three. Same argument with Nunge. He's 6'11". I'm glad he can shoot the three but we need him in the paint. Kunkel is a capable spot up shooter (I think). Odom is not. Tandy has some of both and we need his skills.

We displayed a stand around offense the other night. That is a fairly easy offense to defend. Our coach should address that tomorrow night. I hope he does.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Which makes it that kuch harder to drive and actually be a threat to score or make an assist. The defense basically is baiting someone to drive into the teeth of the zone, where their shot gets blocked or their pass gets stolen. Thus the increasing popularity of a floater shot from 10 ft or so. But besides Scruggs, who on the Xavier squad has that shot?

As I’ve said before (and been attacked as being “negative”), this roster has a lot of holes in it, including a big hole in the middle. I watched Seton Hall last night. Their inside game will destroy the X defense and X will really struggle to score against them in any way other than by being hot from outside the arc. Steels emphasis on getting guards/shooters and lack of ability to recruit a real inside presence is going to continue to haunt this team. Even with Freemantle, there is no real balance to this team. It’s too reliant on shooters offensively and doesn’t have the players that can either score or defend in the paint.
    I agree with a lot of this and it is an indictment on Steele. I know Nunge is still battling health issues, but he looks like what I would expect out of someone coming from the Iowa frontcourt and that’s not a positive one. We need bangers, Steele said as much but this is the guy we got? Steele says a lot of the right things, and then we see what’s on the court.

I think miles still has potential, but it is frustrating that this is his third year and he still looks pretty damn skinny and he still doesn’t seem to have any post moves.there were also several times that he made very fundamental mistakes, like his spacing, and his base. Again, that is an indictment on coaching.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post

We are passing judgement after one game on some of these players after one game. Let's give them a few more opportunities.

I feel this. Odom was a terrific player for us as a freshman last year, he was terrific in the exhibition, I still think he'll have a good year and a great career here. Nunge I still have high expectations for, and am willing to give him a pass while he's getting back in shape. It's also the first time the team played in front of a packed Cintas in a real game for two years, so they seemed a little tight in that regard.

The Freemantle injury sucks, because I do think it really limits what we can do. I'll reserve most of my judgement until December when we're at full strength. That being said, we have enough talent (IMO) to beat the teams we should, so if we start dropping games to sub-100 teams on our home floor, that would change a lot.

I think we'll see a much better overall effort Friday.

Sophomore
    My biggest takeaway from this thread is that the majority of you appear to be Xavier basketball fans (obviously), but not really college hoops' fans. Iowa was the most fun team in America to watch last year, but clearly many of you didn't watch them once because you didn't know how to pronounce Jack's name, nor did you know what to expect from his game. He is a finesse, pick and pop, big man. That isn't going to change.

Love Baum's comments about Xavier's lack of physicality, but yet all people tell me is how great Matt Jennings is. Pffft. Chris Rounds > Matt Jennings and it isn't even close.

Same stuff, same terrible shot selection, same low basketball IQ, same lack of inside out / paint touch basketball, same defensive softness. Heck, we have the same players as last year, by and large, why expect different results?

Uber disappointing, and while it is "only one game", there was a lot of systemic issues on Tuesday night that had nothing to do with a bad shooting night, or "just an off night".

Hope Greg and Dr. H are patient people, and I can't wait to see what the Buckeyes do with Niagra on Friday. Give me the Buckeyes -20 or so. Another bad sign.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post
    My biggest takeaway from this thread is that the majority of you appear to be Xavier basketball fans (obviously), but not really college hoops' fans. Iowa was the most fun team in America to watch last year, but clearly many of you didn't watch them once because you didn't know how to pronounce Jack's name, nor did you know what to expect from his game. He is a finesse, pick and pop, big man. That isn't going to change.
    If that's the case, then we're in trouble.

Like I've said for his entire tenure as HC - Steele cannot get out of his own way when it comes to stretch big men. He's in love with them to a fault, and he's going to go down with the ship because of it.

We're going to rely on our success from 3 point land, and we're not a very good 3 point shooting team - awesome.
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-11-2021 at 10:32 AM.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    Drudy - I think you're too tough on Odom. He's not a terrible shooter. He is a terrible spot up shooter, particularly from beyond the arc. He is very good off the dribble and has an important role to play even against a zone. He can split a zone, take the shot from the high post or paint or dish. That is his game and he's good at it. He is a liability if we need to count on him in the way we rely on Nate Johnson. As for his decision making, I disagree with you on that as well. He has made some bad calls as have his teammates but I don't see anything he did as egregious. He showed last year that he can win games for us. I'm sure that hasn't changed. He displays a warrior mentality that I love and which this team badly needs.

We are passing judgement after one game on some of these players after one game. Let's give them a few more opportunities. As far as Nate goes, we need to get him into the game early and look for him. I think one of our goals in the first few minutes of every game should be to look for Scruggs and Johnson. They seem to need to have the ball early in the game to become involved. Not so with Jones. He does enough things well that he will have plenty of opportunities to score---from his defense, rebounding, or work at the offensive end. Many of our players (in fact, many players in general) need to see the ball on offense to become fully engaged at both ends. We should make sure that our best players and scorers get the ball early in the game. Then, players need to understand, with clarity, what role they must play for this team to succeed. Weds, night, it seems, everyone had the green light. That seems counterproductive and the team looked rushed and confused on the court.

Our strategy for individual players should be to put them into situations where they can use their strengths. The opposing team will want to push them into situations that are relative weaknesses for them. So, ball discipline is important. I like parts of Hunter's game---his defense, rebounding + free throw shooting. But, we should not have him standing in the corner, on offense, waiting for the ball to swing around so he can launch a three. Same argument with Nunge. He's 6'11". I'm glad he can shoot the three but we need him in the paint. Kunkel is a capable spot up shooter (I think). Odom is not. Tandy has some of both and we need his skills.

We displayed a stand around offense the other night. That is a fairly easy offense to defend. Our coach should address that tomorrow night. I hope he does.
    As I've said, he's very important to this team, and his strengths and upside is obvious. He's amazing 1:1 and in the open court.

But when you're THAT deficient from the perimeter, teams don't have to guard you. It's great he can get to the rim with his explosion, but that's almost impossible to do if teams are sagging off of you or packing in with a zone.

In slow-down games like the one we just played, I'd opt for KyKy or Kunkel in those slow-paced, methodical games. That's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post

Love Baum's comments about Xavier's lack of physicality, but yet all people tell me is how great Matt Jennings is. Pffft. Chris Rounds > Matt Jennings and it isn't even close.

Same stuff, same terrible shot selection, same low basketball IQ, same lack of inside out / paint touch basketball, same defensive softness. Heck, we have the same players as last year, by and large, why expect different results?

Uber disappointing, and while it is "only one game", there was a lot of systemic issues on Tuesday night that had nothing to do with a bad shooting night, or "just an off night".

Hope Greg and Dr. H are patient people, and I can't wait to see what the Buckeyes do with Niagra on Friday. Give me the Buckeyes -20 or so. Another bad sign.
    Matt Jennings is no longer Xavier’s strength coach but other than that you have some good points that most of us see. Xavier has some talent but also a ton of role players and lack those guys that get pissed and nasty and take over like we have seen in the past. I don’t know if Xavier has anyone on the team with that personality. Maybe the two guys that are coming in next year will bring that toughness, refuse to lose attitude.

I think Xavier is a much better shooting team then we saw Tuesday but still way too many threes. Need to attack the basket and at times kick it out for open looks. If not they will continue to shoot poorly because they are not creating good open looks. Good open looks will lead to a higher percentage from 3. Hope to see a different team tomorrow.

All-Conference
    I just looked up Nunje's stats at Iowa:

Career 43.5% from the field (on 310 attempts)
    51.6% from 2 (192 attempts)
    30.5% from 3 (on 118 attempts)
    38% of his shots are 3's

Comparison from last year's percentage of shot attempts from 3 point land:
    Freemantle - 30%
    Scruggs - 36.5%
    Carter - 38.6%

It seems BigMoeMusketeer is right - Steele has one-upped us and moved to the STRETCH 5. This should tell you all you need to know about what he thinks of the importance of the paint in Big East play. He shoots a higher percentage of his shots from 3 than Scruggs and Fremantle, and is right there with Carter - and he shoots the 3 with 30% (in)accuracy - so he will fit right in.
    Last edited by drudy23; 11-11-2021 at 12:07 PM.

When was that home game versus Oklahoma where X absolutely dismantled them? 2 years ago? Anyway, that was a thing of beauty containing all the things we're calling for. The team and the coaching staff all need to watch that tape and see how it can be.
    Veritas vos Liberabit

First post in awhile.

Can this be Travis Steele’s last year coaching the team we love?
    I really don’t like watching games these last 4 years.
    He has to go.

Jack up 3s, no sets, one on one basketball.

I agree that Travis can’t get out of his own way. Time to go.
    After this team does not make the tourney I hope Xavier administration thinks the same.