View Poll Results: Do you agree to get rid of the small hoops schools so the NCAA can make more money?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

1 6.25%
  • STFU THUGGS

15 93.75%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Coaches really are a different breed aren't they. The guy is like 68 years old isn't he? Why in the world is he still coaching? He's got to have $20MM + in the bank, and he lives in West Virginia. There's of course there are other examples like Boeheim at Syracuse, Izzo at MSU and of course Pitino (WTF)... I'd live off the interest and dividends and enjoy life somewhere within a stones throw of a boat, but coaches really don't operate that way I guess. So that statement about the NCAA tournament probably shouldn't be a surprise. Wonder if the idea came to him when he was coaching at Walsh, Akron or UC... some how I doubt it.
    I have complete faith in coach Steele and Co.

Quote Originally Posted by surfxu View Post
    Coaches really are a different breed aren't they. The guy is like 68 years old isn't he? Why in the world is he still coaching? He's got to have $20MM + in the bank, and he lives in West Virginia. There's of course there are other examples like Boeheim at Syracuse, Izzo at MSU and of course Pitino (WTF)... I'd live off the interest and dividends and enjoy life somewhere within a stones throw of a boat, but coaches really don't operate that way I guess. So that statement about the NCAA tournament probably shouldn't be a surprise. Wonder if the idea came to him when he was coaching at Walsh, Akron or UC... some how I doubt it.
    Meh, Huggs is at the twilight stage, speculation around WVU is that he's gonna try to give it a shot to get a natty for the next couple years (decent roster, don't think there's a chance in hell though), he's from the state, played at WVU, and generally likes being around WVU. Think he'll end up being in the athletic department in some capacity once he retires. He also strikes me as the type of guy that'd be bored in retirement, and needs to coach to have something to do. Regardless, I think this is an awful take as well. It completely craps on the allure of the NCAA Tournament. It's why March is fun, he probably thinks this due to the uptick in transfers, that's the only sense I can make out of it.

Must still be upset about losing to Stephen F. Austin in the first round in 2016.

Okay, this officially has my attention....

There is a Special Convention next month regarding a possible "new division" in the NCAA. This press statement really doesn't say anything, but the fact that their is a special convention, and the fact that many within the P5 have said they either want their own division and/or want to leave the NCAA entirely is at least worth taking note of. This has been a threat for almost 30 years, and probably longer. It's been a threat for so long that it's hard to take it seriously whenever it comes up. But...this I'm taking kind of seriously. I hope it doesn't happen. I don't think it will. But, the main reason I don't think it will is simply because I'm so used to it not happening. That doesn't mean that it never will. It may play out the way Huggins has suggested. They may leave. If they do, then it will totally ruin college sports for me. I don't think I'll really even care anymore. If teams outside the P5 are shut out of the basketball tournament, or have their paths to the tournament narrowed to the point to where it becomes the way football is where there is such a disadvantage that they have no practical chance, then I won't want to watch it anymore. Screw that.

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources...n-for-division
    Last edited by xubrew; 10-28-2021 at 10:06 AM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Imagine a scenario where they're shutting Gonzaga out of the Tournament. That somewhere between ludicrous and hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Imagine a scenario where they're shutting Gonzaga out of the Tournament. That somewhere between ludicrous and hilarious.
    Yes. It is. And they'd be shutting out Villanova who has won two national championships in recent years. And, maybe that's why they're suddenly in such a hurry to get more control and get their own division or leave the NCAA entirely. They don't want to be equalled or outperformed by non-P5 "outsiders."

I'm not trying to sound alarm bells (well, I guess I am because I want people to be alarmed and to see how bad this is for the sport), but the Crosstown Shootout, if it were to continue, would be essentially a D1 v D2 game (or whatever they'd end up calling the divisions).

I can't believe that any such move wouldn't include the Big East. I mean, otherwise you're keeping UConn's women out of the Tournament, which is completely insane.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I can't believe that any such move wouldn't include the Big East. I mean, otherwise you're keeping UConn's women out of the Tournament, which is completely insane.
    I seriously doubt they have any plans at all to include the Big East. Why would they?? The Big East isn't included now. The Big East doesn't have autonomy now the way the P5 conferences do. (or Autonomy Five if you refer to them the way the NCAA does).

This isn't about the non P5 leagues not being good enough. It's about the P5 wanting to grow their power and control, even if it means leaving everyone else behind so they can do their own thing and have complete control over it. Their whole goal is to be exclusive, not inclusive. For that reason alone I see them not including anyone else that isn't already included. The whole point is to keep everyone else down.

I understand that, but I assume they will also want to preserve the legitimacy of their sport so that people will actually watch.

I don't think the ones within the P5 who are pushing for them to leave look at anyone who isn't autonomous as having any legitimacy, nor do they want them to gain legitimacy. That's why they're wanting to leave.