Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yeah, I don't get why people keep saying this. Someone said that to me last night.

Also with playoff expansion coming, even if it did have a negative effect, it wouldn't matter anymore.
    Because ND is missing out on the opportunity to use the last week to make a case for their inclusion. They have to hope that a lot of schools ahead of them lose this week, while they sit idle. However, you’re probably correct regarding playoff expansion, but even that might not always be the case. Let’s say that ND was 10-2 this year, was ranked 9th, and it was an 8 team playoff. A team ranked behind them (say an Iowa) that upset a higher ranked team in a conference championship might have a great chance of leapfrogging them, while they sat idle.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 11-30-2021 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Because ND is missing out on the opportunity to use the last week to make a case for their inclusion. They have to hope that a lot of schools ahead of them lose this week, while they sit idle. However, you’re probably correct regarding playoff expansion, but even that might not always be the case. Let’s say that ND was 10-2 this year, was ranked 9th, and it was an 8 team playoff. A team ranked behind them (say an Iowa) that upset a higher ranked team in a conference championship might have a great chance of leapfrogging them, while they sat idle.
    I get this argument but most of the P5 schools in contention play an FCS school so I don’t really consider them to play an extra game.
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    I get this argument but most of the P5 schools in contention play an FCS school so I don’t really consider them to play an extra game.
    This is championship week, so I don’t get your point. OKST plays Baylor, Cinn plays Houston, Georgia-Alabama, Iowa-Michigan, Oregon-Utah. Notre Dame is sitting idle and con not do anything to impress the committee. Let’s say that Alabama beats Georgia. That means both of them are in. If Michigan beats Iowa, they are in. That leaves Cincinnati and OKST fighting it out for the last spot. If both of them win then ND has no chance of leapfrogging either. Even if both lose, than Baylor might actually leapfrog everyone. It’s a long shot for,sure, but they still have a better chance of making it than ND.

But let’s say that ND was playing Clemson or Pittsburg or NC State for ACC championship. They would have a chance to impress the committee and leapfrog 1-2 teams and make it into the playoff. The committee is not rewarding teams for the overall season, they are trying to pick the CURRENT top 4 teams. They are not as concerned about early season loses as some might think. In fact, they aren’t even as concerned about head to head results as others might be…hence the fact that Michigan is ranked ahead of a Michigan State team that they lost to. And the idea that Notre Dame could well end up rated ahead of a Cincinnati team that they have lost to early in the season. It is truly an INVITATIONAL tournament as it’s currently set up, and that’s likely to continue.

This is championship week, so I don’t get your point. OKST plays Baylor, Cinn plays Houston, Georgia-Alabama, Iowa-Michigan, Oregon-Utah. Notre Dame is sitting idle and con not do anything to impress the committee. Let’s say that Alabama beats Georgia. That means both of them are in. If Michigan beats Iowa, they are in. That leaves Cincinnati and OKST fighting it out for the last spot. If both of them win then ND has no chance of leapfrogging either. Even if both lose, than Baylor might actually leapfrog everyone. It’s a long shot for,sure, but they still have a better chance of making it than ND.

But let’s say that ND was playing Clemson or Pittsburg or NC State for ACC championship. They would have a chance to impress the committee and leapfrog 1-2 teams and make it into the playoff. The committee is not rewarding teams for the overall season, they are trying to pick the CURRENT top 4 teams. They are not as concerned about early season loses as some might think. In fact, they aren’t even as concerned about head to head results as others might be…hence the fact that Michigan is ranked ahead of a Michigan State team that they lost to. And the idea that Notre Dame could well end up rated ahead of a Cincinnati team that they have lost to early in the season. It is truly an INVITATIONAL tournament as it’s currently set up, and that’s likely to continue.
    That’s a good point. I was reacting to the we have to play an extra game crowd. But you’re right. The committee really only seems to look at the last 6 weeks of the season and I kind of like it.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    1. The playoff is going to 12 or 16 from what I understand, shouldn't ever be an issue for ND anytime they are good.

2. A lot of times it is a benefit that ND doesnt have to risk playing again.

3. This year is unique in that ND lost to a team who is undefeated who the CFP really doesnt want to let in. If ND would have had 1 loss (not to UC) and UC had a different solid win (lets say at OSU) I think 1 loss ND would be ahead of UC without question. I thin OK State will jump UC if they beat Baylor Saturday. UC needs to root for a Georgia blowout of bama. ND is just a uniquely tough spot that their 1 loss is to undefeated UC.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Baylor in no way has a better shot at making it in over ND. That is why I dont agree with your assertion that ND not playing in a champ game hurts them. No team currently ranked below ND will jump ND after this weekend. Only possibility is teams ahead of ND lose and ND jumps those teams that lose.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Baylor in no way has a better shot at making it in over ND. That is why I dont agree with your assertion that ND not playing in a champ game hurts them. No team currently ranked below ND will jump ND after this weekend. Only possibility is teams ahead of ND lose and ND jumps those teams that lose.
    It would be fun (for Irish fans) to see ND sneak in and pull out 1 win without Kelly. It would make for a pretty good college story for a program to get its first BCS win after the coach bails for big $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
    It would be fun (for Irish fans) to see ND sneak in and pull out 1 win without Kelly. It would make for a pretty good college story for a program to get its first BCS win after the coach bails for big $$$.
    Yeah that would be.

You wonder how much, if at all, Kelly leaving is a hinderance on ND's chances to make it.

Probably doesnt matter though. If bama gets crushed and UC loses OK State and ND are both in, there is no one else to put in right? What will be really interesting is if UC, OK State, and bama all lose.

Yeah that would be.

You wonder how much, if at all, Kelly leaving is a hinderance on ND's chances to make it.

Probably doesnt matter though. If bama gets crushed and UC loses OK State and ND are both in, there is no one else to put in right? What will be really interesting is if UC, OK State, and bama all lose.
    I could see a GA, OSU, ND, Bama or the other OSU in that scenario. Side effect, Clifton burns.

There are several different scenarios where ND gets it. But they all rely on the teams ahead of them losing. ND has absolutely no chance of getting in if those teams win. None. They aren’t going to leapfrog any team ahead of them with those teams winning. Oklahoma State leapfrogged them this week with a 3 point win over a 10th ranked Oklahoma. Even though ND beat an unranked Stanford by 31, they didn’t move up and got leapfrogged. IF they were playing a ranked team out of the ACC for the conference championship and won big this week they would have a chance of leapfrogging a winning OKST or UC team that struggled. That’s why not having that extra game this week hurts them.