Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Except THIS year most probably.
    They're getting in. Well, maybe Kelly leaving keeps them out.

Not sure how a New England Irish is going to play down on the bayou, but I’ve little doubt but the would take it. It’s all about money and a new challenge. ND had a top 5 recruiting class coming. They have fantastic faculties and a fan base that can’t be beat. BUT his salary was actually LESS than what Fick is making at UC and South Bend certainly isn’t the garden spot of the Midwest. ND not being in a conference where they have that extra game every year is a hindrance to ND making the national championship playoff too.
    I agree with everything you said except the pay thing and Brian Kelly at ND. He makes around $7 million at ND from what I have heard. I know what you see and it’s the same thing for Mike Bray. He has been at ND for like 100 years and supposedly makes like $1.6 million. Jay Wright at Villanova makes more that people think as well. Private schools do not have to report all income like the public schools do or it’s just harder to really know exactly what they are making at private schools. But Brian Kelly was making a lot more than $2.7 million to coach ND, with the money that program generates. Now he will be making $14 million a year.

Sophomore
    College Football coaching contracts are insane. Lincoln Riley’s contact over 100 million plus unlimited access to USCs jet for business and personal. Mel Tucker’s extension at Michigan State. Brian Kelly’s new yearly salary. Fickell to Norte Dame?

A big ol' kick in the nads to ND.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    A big ol' kick in the nads to ND.
    ND is now a stepping stone job?

I can’t remember any coach ever leaving ND voluntarily for another college job. Maybe it’s happened, but the only time I can think it has happened has been when the coach was fired.

I want a coach to leave at halftime of his current team's last game. For the hire to be announced after kickoff, and for the coach to just leave the stadium in the middle of the game. That would make me happy!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Making 2 times as much as he did at notre dame and the chance to get the fuck out of never going to win a national championship Indiana? Gee tough choice.
    Meh.. ND was in the playoffs and/or National Championship game 3 out of the 10 years that Kelly coached there and they are definitely in the conversation this year for the playoff. Kinda silly to say never when you are getting directly in the mix every 3 years or so.

This was all about the cash...and the ability to recruit a different kind of athlete
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

ND is now a stepping stone job?

I can’t remember any coach ever leaving ND voluntarily for another college job. Maybe it’s happened, but the only time I can think it has happened has been when the coach was fired.
    Probably true but LSU had to offer him $14 million a year to leave ND. No one turns that down. It’s just stupid money for a college football coach.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Meh.. ND was in the playoffs and/or National Championship game 3 out of the 10 years that Kelly coached there and they are definitely in the conversation this year for the playoff. Kinda silly to say never when you are getting directly in the mix every 3 years or so.

This was all about the cash...and the ability to recruit a different kind of athlete
    They get into the playoff or previously the bcs but once there, they are always exposed. Never going to win a national championship there, they recruit at a good level (ironically their best class since probably the early 90s is coming in next year,) not at the level to win a championship, just as you pointed out.

I mean come on all these guys are ego driven, its gotta be killing Kelly that he has realized he can't get it done there.

With that said, thats of course not the only reason...the green and the ability to get the hell out of South Bend im sure are other major factors.
    Last edited by Xville; 11-30-2021 at 07:42 AM.

LSU won it all less than two years years ago, and in the time between then and now there was a pandemic.

Now, I understand that's just the way things are, and it's becoming more and more like that, but pretty much everything about that just strikes me as silly. The whole thing. The amount of money that schools will give a coach, how coaches will just jump from one ship to another before the season is even over, and how 21 months after winning a national championship, a school will fire a coach that they've given gobs of money to, and will still have to pay a gobs of money to, in order to replace him with another coach whom which they will also give gobs of money to.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White