Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    I think they deserve it if Oregon deserved it prior to Saturday. The American is actually better than the Pac-12 this year. No hyperbole. Look at what the Pac-12 did in the non-conference. Embarrassing. I think UC is as good as everyone not named Georgia or Ohio State, so why not. Let UC have their day in the sun playing Ohio State or Georgia on NYE.

Granted, I may be a bit biased by the $10 I have on UC at 80-1 to win the national championship.

Quote Originally Posted by American X View Post
    Unpopular opinion - just put UC in the playoff, for the sake of the legitimacy of the playoff and the sport of college football. Live up to the contention that the playoff is open to every team & conference and not just an invitational for a select handful of teams & conferences.

I wish it was a UCF or BYU crashing the playoff, but it just happens to be UC this year. For the long-term health of the sport, let a team outside of the usual suspects in for once.
    Perhaps an even more unpopular opinion...

This is all stupid.

If UC gets left out then it isn't fair. If UC gets in then it isn't fair. This is not a playoff. It's an invitational dressed up to look like a playoff, and it often is not open to everyone. No other sport in the world does this. No other level of college football does this. A committee decides who gets in, and there is no part of it that isn't subjective. That's just idiotic. That's every bit as idiotic as saying "well, instead of keeping score, let's just have the two teams play and then we'll have a committee decide who won."

A 16 team playoff with 10 conference tie-ins is the only way to do it. It's not so much that it's a great idea as it is that it's the only practical way that makes sense. No one should be left out due to an assumption that they're not good enough. In no other college sport does that happen. In no other sport in the world that I can think of does that happen. San Marino's soccer team stinks, but they have a defined path to the World Cup. As does Fordham's basketball team to the NCAA Tournament, as do the Bengals to the Super Bowl, as does a 6th division soccer club to the Champions League. FBS college football is the only sport in the world where teams are left out simply because a committee decides they aren't good enough. I know the NCAA Tournament has a committee, but the difference is that every team still has an objectively defined path to the tournament via the automatic bid.

UC belongs in the semifinals....if they win the AAC, and then win a game in the Round of 16, and then win a game in the Quarterfinals. They shouldn't just be put there. Nor should they just be left out. This is all dumb and it really does ruin the sport.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Would a 16 team playoff add to many games to a college schedule for the last 2?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Would a 16 team playoff add to many games to a college schedule for the last 2?
    I don't think so. People have raised this concern, and while I don't want to just totally dismiss it, I just don't think it would matter. The FCS just played a full season after finishing a full season just a few months earlier.

The FCS has a 24 team playoff and that's not too many games. Neither is a 16 team playoff for D2 or a 32 team playoff for D3. I believe most high school playoffs are 32 team fields.

Now, to be fair, the players at FCS, D2, and D3 aren't quite as big and fast, so the routine collisions aren't quite as rough, but the most anyone would play is 17 games.

But...I do understand the argument. Playing a football game at the FBS level is kind of like being in a car accident. Most people who are in a typical car accident aren't seriously hurt, but a few are, and most people are at least a little bit banged up. When you're in one of those every week, it does start to take a toll.
    Last edited by xubrew; 11-22-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    A 16 team playoff with 10 conference tie-ins is the only way to do it.
    That would dilute the regular season. A committee selecting four teams may not be the most objective or fair, but it creates scenarios with elimination games week in and week out. College football is unique in naming its champion different from every sport on the globe and I like that about it.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

I’d like to see an 8 team playoff. The Power 5 conference champs and 3 wildcards chosen from all the other conferences. Yes, you could have a situation where an undefeated team loses in an upset in a conference championship game and misses out on going to the playoffs, but don’t we already have that? I think that it would increase the interest in conference championship games across the board. Not just in a situation where you have an undefeated Group of 6 team playing for a conference championship, but even for a league like the ACC this year.

That would dilute the regular season. A committee selecting four teams may not be the most objective or fair, but it creates scenarios with elimination games week in and week out. College football is unique in naming its champion different from every sport on the globe and I like that about it.
    I couldn't disagree more.

Under the current format, the regular season means nothing for half the teams. THAT dilutes the regular season. By the end of the second week there are probably only 30 teams left that would have a chance of finishing in the top four by winning all their remaining games.

Just imagine this week. All of the rivalry games, and all of the games that impact who gets into the conference championships. That would be the complete opposite of a diluted regular season. Instead we get maybe three games that have any sort of playoff implications, and no games where there are playoff implications for both teams. What we have now is what I would call a diluted regular season.

You risk college football becoming like college basketball when people only care and it only matters for about a month. The college football season is short enough. I don't want to shrink its relevancy down to a few weeks.
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I’d like to see an 8 team playoff. The Power 5 conference champs and 3 wildcards chosen from all the other conferences. Yes, you could have a situation where an undefeated team loses in an upset in a conference championship game and misses out on going to the playoffs, but don’t we already have that? I think that it would increase the interest in conference championship games across the board. Not just in a situation where you have an undefeated Group of 6 team playing for a conference championship, but even for a league like the ACC this year.
    This is where I’m at..keeps the regular season important, and you can even have an automatic spot for the highest group of five team if that’s what they want to do. I’d also advocate for the 2-3 wildcard teams to be selected not by a committee but by the old bcs system…it had the human element to it, but also had the computers which made it less subjective than the process it is today.

Supporting Member
    Unpopular opinion - just put UC in the playoff, for the sake of the legitimacy of the playoff and the sport of college football. Live up to the contention that the playoff is open to every team & conference and not just an invitational for a select handful of teams & conferences.

I wish it was a UCF or BYU crashing the playoff, but it just happens to be UC this year. For the long-term health of the sport, let a team outside of the usual suspects in for once.
    I still think UC ends up screwed. It will be interesting to see what happens if OK St. beat OK this weekend, could put them in a spot to jump UC if they then beat another top 10 team in Baylor (I am not positive of the tie breakers, I assume head to head jumps OK right?)?
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack