Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    So...I think we agree. Just to recap the overall points...

-In order for Gonzaga to seriously consider joining the Big East, they'd have to get more media revenue than what they are getting now.

-In order for the Big East to supply them with that, they'd almost have to give them a bigger share. I guess that wouldn't be necessary if Fox agreed to give all 12 schools more than $9 million a year, but I seriously doubt they'll do that. I feel pretty confident in saying with absolute certainty Fox won't do that.

-The Big East likely would not want to give Gonzaga a bigger share, nor should they want to give them a bigger share. And therefore....

-Gonzaga probably won't join.
    pretty much.

But where are you getting this 9M number for Gonzaga? Are you saying that is their current WCC share? I cant see how that's possible. WCC is strictly West Coast viewership. Hard to believe their entire deal would be worth 9M.

I'd be in favor of a scenario where TV revenue is split among conference members for "in-conference" games, while OOC games have to still be on Fox, but can be separately negotiated with just the team. Have your cake and eat it too, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    pretty much.

But where are you getting this 9M number for Gonzaga? Are you saying that is their current WCC share? I cant see how that's possible. WCC is strictly West Coast viewership. Hard to believe their entire deal would be worth 9M.

I'd be in favor of a scenario where TV revenue is split among conference members for "in-conference" games, while OOC games have to still be on Fox, but can be separately negotiated with just the team. Have your cake and eat it too, yeah?
    Not the answer you're looking for, but a friend of mine who works for one of the major networks told me that's what it was. I just took it at face value. But, then again, that was a couple years ago when the WCC signed their new/current deal with ESPN and CBS, so it may have changed, or the person that told me may have just been flat out wrong to begin with. It could also be what you said where they get to keep all of the media revenue from their OOC games and not have to share it with the rest of the league. Gonzaga had the option of going to the Mountain West and laid out what they wanted in order to stay, which included a (much) bigger share of the TV money, a (much) bigger share of the NCAA Tournament money, fewer conference games so they could schedule more OOC games, and I'm sure I'm leaving a few things out.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

In a conference like the WCC I have no problem with a team like Gonzaga getting more of the $$ share for revenue. I'm not willing to make that same sort of argument in the Big East. That's a non-starter to me.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    In a conference like the WCC I have no problem with a team like Gonzaga getting more of the $$ share for revenue. I'm not willing to make that same sort of argument in the Big East. That's a non-starter to me.
    I agree, the WCC is about like the old MCC now that BYU is leaving. The WCC might agree to something like that but if Gonzaga wants that same deal in the BE, I'd tell em to shove it

if Gonzaga could demand an unequal share, what do you give Nova who has actually won two National Titles in the past seven years?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

From my understanding, NCAA tournament credits typically go to the league to be dispersed. If a team leaves the league, they leave their credits behind.

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    From my understanding, NCAA tournament credits typically go to the league to be dispersed. If a team leaves the league, they leave their credits behind.
    That's true. However we are talking about TV money here. Apparently Gonzaga has a favorable deal where they get a majority of the TV revenue from the WCC deal. I'd be opposed to such an arrangement in the Big East.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

That's true. However we are talking about TV money here. Apparently Gonzaga has a favorable deal where they get a majority of the TV revenue from the WCC deal. I'd be opposed to such an arrangement in the Big East.
    Little slow today (and most other days), lol. Thanks for clarifying

I would too, and I think the rest of the Big East would as well.

But, just to clarify, if the Big East were to court Gonzaga, I don't think the Zags would demand more money than the other 11 schools for the sake of feeling like they deserve more than everyone else. I simply think they'd want to be cashing checks that are as big (or bigger) than the ones they're cashing now and have the scheduling freedom for OOC games that they have now. Simple as that. If a move to the Big East doesn't supply them with that, then I don't think they'll want to move.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I would too, and I think the rest of the Big East would as well.

But, just to clarify, if the Big East were to court Gonzaga, I don't think the Zags would demand more money than the other 11 schools for the sake of feeling like they deserve more than everyone else. I simply think they'd want to be cashing checks that are as big (or bigger) than the ones they're cashing now and have the scheduling freedom for OOC games that they have now. Simple as that. If a move to the Big East doesn't supply them with that, then I don't think they'll want to move.
    Totally agree.

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook