Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Season at a Glance

Cincy paper with a current state of the union piece: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ns/5987394001/

Encouraging to read this caption: Dieonte Miles emerges.

Steele mentioned strong guard play: "And our guard play has been tremendous. Really, really good with Paul, Colby, Dwon, AK (Adam Kunkel), all those guys have been great, and Nate has returned to form really well, he's more athletic than he was last year." However, no mention of KyKy. Damn shame about that kid. I hope he can properly focus himself on what he needs to do to contribute at this level.

Our B1G transfers received high praise.

Freemantle is in a boot. Week to week and won't be rushed back.

Freshman Elijah Tucker to redshirt.

Overall, an encouraging assessment, but with the obvious statement being stated - - Steele has the talent, now he needs to win at a level that gets X back to the NCAAT.
    X A V I E R

Thanks for the link. It seems every year it gets harder and harder to keep up with all the pieces on our roster. I’m all for freedom for the players (especially when the coaches who recruited you can ditch you at any point in time), but this transfer stuff can make your head spin.

As for Steele, I understand those who have concerns. I know I do. But I also know that with every job I ever had, I continued to get better as time went by and I grew into the job. Here’s to hoping Steele can put some of those reservations to rest this season with a nice run in March!

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    Thanks for the link. It seems every year it gets harder and harder to keep up with all the pieces on our roster. I’m all for freedom for the players (especially when the coaches who recruited you can ditch you at any point in time), but this transfer stuff can make your head spin.

As for Steele, I understand those who have concerns. I know I do. But I also know that with every job I ever had, I continued to get better as time went by and I grew into the job. Here’s to hoping Steele can put some of those reservations to rest this season with a nice run in March!
    Here. Here.
    X A V I E R

All-Conference
    This is mostly tongue in cheek but it Sounds like Steele is in midseason form…praise for his boy kunkel…nothing I want more than his instant offense 27 percent from 3, followed by no mention of kyky. In all seriousness, Why kyky ever came back I have no clue, even if all he got were some mid major offers.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    This is mostly tongue in cheek but it Sounds like Steele is in midseason form…praise for his boy kunkel…nothing I want more than his instant offense 27 percent from 3, followed by no mention of kyky. In all seriousness, Why kyky ever came back I have no clue, even if all he got were some mid major offers.
    Wow, in midseason form yourself......LOL

We all know this is year for Steele to show what he can/can't do. Looking forward to seeing Miles contribute for sure.

As in the last 3 years, we have the talent (more so this year IMHO), but do we have the coach that can put it together? We shall see......

Currently residing in Section 105, Row J, after 17 years in Section 104, Row I
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    No mention of Stanley either. We need both Kyky and Ben to be playing, not sitting, this year.
    Xavier always goes to the NCAA tournament...Projecting anything less than that this season feels like folly--Eamonn Brennan, ESPN (Summer Shootaround, 2012)

There is no reason for this team to be anything but really, really, really good. Hopefully they stay healthy this year, but this should be a big year. I've got plenty of concerns about Steele given the way the first three years have gone, but it's such a great sign that guys like Scruggs and Johnson wanted to come back for a fifth year. And even that KyKy eventually felt comfortable coming back. Can't wait to get going.

This should be a much more different team. Hunter, Miles, Nunge and Freemantle will be a nice added frontcourt challenge for other teams.
    Teh difference between a good year and a great year probably depends on Nunge/Miles/Hunter contributing offensively and defensively each game. I bet as February and March come around, we will see Freemantle, and 2 other bigs get minutes.

I don't think I will rely on Scruggs to carry this team on his back. He is a good leader but not a great go to guy (see Butler game last season).

I would love to see Jones and Freemantle be go to scorers when game is on the line.

I could care less about Tandy. His ship has come and gone.

All-Conference
    Steele basically says the same thing every pre-season. I see better than I hear.

I will say that I am very optimistic about this season. They have alot of talent. But Steele has to put it all together. We might be good enough for it not to matter.

It won't be a fun messageboard if we are sitting on the bubble in late February. No excuses this year.

Not nearly as concerned about the offense. We have enough firepower. How well these players guard on the perimeter and how well they defend in the paint is going to tell us how good this team can be. Will Miles, Nance and even Feee show they can defend and rebound well this year? Let’s hope so.

One encouraging thought about this team: We have a number of players who are not afraid to step up and be “the guy” at the end of a game (and teammates who trust those players). We have seen Odom, Jones, Johnson, Scruggs, Freemantle and even Kunkel step into that role last season.
    Last edited by IM4X; 10-13-2021 at 11:23 AM.