Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Madness is Friday night.
    Hope someone can attend and give us a glance at what the team looks like.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Please don't remind us.

I hope that Trav is gone.
    So you're rooting for a failed season? Steele is the coach this year and the only way he's gone is if we have a bad year.
    dayton will lose by 40 and we will loot tonight.
    -Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    So you're rooting for a failed season? Steele is the coach this year and the only way he's gone is if we have a bad year.
    I read his comment as he hopes “that version of Travis” is gone. Which I think we’d all agree on. Nobody wants to have a failed season, but if it does, then Travis should be gone

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by Smails View Post
    Sorry, I meant - I hope THAT Trav is gone (emphasis on THAT) - meaning, the Trav that makes excuses, mean mugs, and avoids the obvious.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post
    I read his comment as he hopes “that version of Travis” is gone. Which I think we’d all agree on. Nobody wants to have a failed season, but if it does, then Travis should be gone
    Yes. This.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Also, lets dig a little deeper into the "why" we got these results. I figure there are 2 options.

1) We weren't necessarily trying to shoot 3's, but had to settle for contested attempts that caused our actual shooting % to be lower than it should have been based on the reputation of these guys as shooters.

2) These attempts came out of a designed offense, and they weren't necessarily contented, but they didn't fall. In as sense, good shooters having an "off day", expect it lasted for 4 months.

And the more important point I was trying to make in my analysis is that it seems our surge in 3 pt attempts may be related to our noticeable reduction in Free Throw Attempts. I submit that we left more points on the line last year (last 3 years) than we could have scored if we shot 3's at remarkably high rate. Freemantle took 78 3's in what, 21 games? I like the the 35.3% he shoots, but I rather see him brining the lunchpail and work inside. An emphasis on taking 3's will result in less attempts at the rim. Thats whats been killing us....
    In year 1 & 2 of the last three years, teams packed it inside(except for Georgetown) because we couldn't shoot from outside. That was a smart move by the other teams. Thus Xavier shot more from outside regardless of being contested because they were just a very very bad 3pt shooting team. Let's not forget that.
    Balls of Steele!!

So MM shows some fun. Johnson beat Kunkel in 3 point shooting. Odom won dunk contest. Oh and Freemantle is on crutches.
    Last edited by xukeith; 10-22-2021 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I dont want to be the first to say it, but Odom needs considerable work on his game to be a guy that we can build around and hope leads out team in minutes played. His lack of outside shot will make it very difficult for him to get into the lane and finish. Lets say you were the opposing coach and had access to his game film. Would you respect his shot and play him tight on the perimeter? I wouldnt. I dare him to shoot. And I'd give myself as much of an advantage as I could when it comes to stopping the drive.

I like pretty much everything about him and dont see many weaknesses aside from shooting the 3. he kind of reminds me of Westbrook. Freak athlete for sure, but he can be defended due to his lack of deep shooting.

I think Jones can be an all time great XU player. Josh Hart.
    Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    Odom is our best defender and at a key position. As long as he stays disciplined to NOT take what the defense gives him, he should be on the court.
    I'm thinking we give him the ole Semaj/Sumner treatment, the kid is too athletic to be settling for threes, he is explosive and can get to the rim, if they sag off, stay disciplined and just run the offense. Ideally, I'd love to see the Semaj jump he had where he went from 25% to 38% while doubling his 3-point attempts, so hopefully Odom is working on his shot, but Sumner did the reverse Semaj by cutting his 3-point attempts in half and was still extremely effective for that team. Odom's athletic, use that god given body.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Madness is Friday night.
    Hope someone can attend and give us a glance at what the team looks like.
    Just now home after the Musketeer Madness event. Here's the scoop.

Top observation is that Nate Johnson is 100% healthy and looks next level good. Just think, it was revealed few months back that he was playing injured all last year, but now is good to go and it shows. Hit 17 of 25 to win the 3 PT contest and hit 2 more in the scrimmage. As we know, a rock solid physical defender.

ZFree is hobbled. In a large walking boot AND on crutches. Can't see how he will be ready anytime soon. Not good because we have Ohio State and probably Memphis on the horizon.

Jack Nunge (Iowa transfer) did not play but did get on the floor for warm ups. He is a huge individual and seemed to be progressing nicely on the rehab. Almost game ready.

Jerome Hunter (Indiana transfer) is just WoW! Long, athletic, physical. Will be a matchup nightmare for most 3's. Seemed silky smooth with everything out there.

Dieonte Miles is ready for prime time. With 2 years of S&C under his belt, he is very imposing. A complete athletic freak for a guy his size. I was very impressed with how he attacked the basket with no hesitation and could very well be the quickest rim runner in conference.

Dwon Odom JUMPED OVER the 6'7" Hunter and finished with a violent one handed tomahawk dunk, to make the dunk contest a no brainer. That was simply incredible and easily the high decibel mark for the night. Odom is destined for greatness!

Ben Stanley is now healthy and looked fantastic. Looks to be the strongest guy on the team....just a rock with an absolute chiseled physique. Scored 8 straight at one point. Finished with 10 angry points.

Kunk was in the moment and just oozes confidence..... I mean JP type confidence. This kid is just a flat out gamer.

Paul Scruggs was the best player in the building.

X definitely comes as advertised. Extremely deep and athletic at every position. If Travis Steele manages to screw this up somehow, Head Coaching at this level is not in his future.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Just now home after the Musketeer Madness event. Here's the scoop.

Top observation is that Nate Johnson is 100% healthy and looks next level good. Just think, it was revealed few months back that he was playing injured all last year, but now is good to go and it shows. Hit 17 of 25 to win the 3 PT contest and hit 2 more in the scrimmage. As we know, a rock solid physical defender.

ZFree is hobbled. In a large walking boot AND on crutches. Can't see how he will be ready anytime soon. Not good because we have Ohio State and probably Memphis on the horizon.

Jack Nunge (Iowa transfer) did not play but did get on the floor for warm ups. He is a huge individual and seemed to be progressing nicely on the rehab. Almost game ready.

Jerome Hunter (Indiana transfer) is just WoW! Long, athletic, physical. Will be a matchup nightmare for most 3's. Seemed silky smooth with everything out there.

Dieonte Miles is ready for prime time. With 2 years of S&C under his belt, he is very imposing. A complete athletic freak for a guy his size. I was very impressed with how he attacked the basket with no hesitation and could very well be the quickest rim runner in conference.

Dwon Odom JUMPED OVER the 6'7" Hunter and finished with a violent one handed tomahawk dunk, to make the dunk contest a no brainer. That was simply incredible and easily the high decibel mark for the night. Odom is destined for greatness!

Ben Stanley is now healthy and looked fantastic. Looks to be the strongest guy on the team....just a rock with an absolute chiseled physique. Scored 8 straight at one point. Finished with 10 angry points.

Kunk was in the moment and just oozes confidence..... I mean JP type confidence. This kid is just a flat out gamer.

Paul Scruggs was the best player in the building.

X definitely comes as advertised. Extremely deep and athletic at every position. If Travis Steele manages to screw this up somehow, Head Coaching at this level is not in his future.
    Great to hear and thanks for the recap!