Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I nominate Kunkel as tribute.
    Haha! To the altar atop the temple of misplaced rage!
    Official XUHoops Resident Legal Scholar.
    (Do not take this seriously)

There's no chance Kunkel can be as awful as Carter. Carter being gone is my favorite thing about this year's roster.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    There's no chance Kunkel can be as awful as Carter. Carter being gone is my favorite thing about this year's roster.
    Agreed. Kunkel is fine.. just as long as he isn’t starting every game and playing 25+ minutes

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Agreed. Kunkel is fine.. just as long as he isn’t starting every game and playing 25+ minutes
    But what if he’s First Team All-Practice?

Disclaimer: To non regular readers of this board we are not disparaging any player (except Go, he’s incorrigible). We are making fun of ourselves and how we misplace “bad feelings” about losses.
    Last edited by Strange Brew; 10-15-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Hey, these guys are pros now. We can disparage to our heart's content! I'm sure Jason Carter is a very nice person and will sell the hell out of some insurance someday!

Supporting Member
    Didn’t know where to put this but just saw on the ticker that wilchers brother just committed to unc. Guess they were never a package deal

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Hey, these guys are pros now. We can disparage to our heart's content! I'm sure Jason Carter is a very nice person and will sell the hell out of some insurance someday!
    What’s wrong with insurance Danny, I own a two polices?

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Really good interview from John Fanta on the upcoming X season. With Travis the first 20 minutes (ok some of your typical coach speak), then with Baum and the Musketeer Report dude Rick the last 28.

https://twitter.com/john_fanta/statu...881651719?s=10
    Here is the direct link on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RcCXhZ...ature=youtu.be

This is definitely a must see!
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

[QUOTE=MHettel;709498]
    Quote Originally Posted by xufan2020 View Post

HMMM. So for 3 years we ran a scheme that resulted in taking more 3's than we had taken in 32 years, and we missed more than we ever had before. And we weren't taking as many 2's as before, but we were making those. And were were not really getting to the line at the same rate as the prior 29 years. And we were losing. Three years of this.

And by the way, I didn't say that scheme sucked. I said it was the wrong scheme for the players we had. Which is most certainly was as evidenced by the lousy results.

Now, I'm in favor of an up tempo scheme that would exploit our depth. If this roster is NOT built for that, then you will need to explain to me what it IS built for.....really good 5 on 5 scrimmages in practice?

here is what I know: a) for YEARS we lived off of getting to the FT line and we had our best success ever. b) our current coach implemented a scheme that didnt match his personnel and we had poor results c) the coach demonstrated that he was committed to this scheme in spite of the results. d) Our current roster doesn't really look that much different than last year, aside from considerably more depth.

So will Travis stick to this scheme that he's NEVER been successful with? Using essentially the same players? Or will he design a scheme BASED on the players? I don't need to see any more than a handful of games to know where Travis stands. If we stick to this scheme we may have some success. But that doesn't mean we've maximized the POTENTIAL success of this team.

I need 5 games to know. Thats it. I need to see the lineups and rotations, and just get a sense for whether we attack the rim or not. And this is ALL about Offense. Defense doesn't matter*. If we are not efficient offensively (points per possession as an example), we're gonna be mediocre at best. (* if you are winning games with a great defense to make up for an inefficient offense, then you are doomed).

this is all about whether the coach has enough awareness to assess how things are working and make the necessary adjustments or large scale changes. We (finally) saw Steele insert Hankins into the starting lineup 3 years ago, but it was just a little too late. it was the right decision (to his credit), but just not soon enough.

Last year, he benched (didnt start) Carter in the second to last game after back to back games where he played a total of 42 minutes and scored zero points on 0-4 shooting and had 9 rebounds. And in the game where he was benched he scored zero points in nine minutes with 1 rebound. THEN HE STARTS HIM AGAIN and he plays 35 minutes and goes 3-11 with 9 points and 5 rebounds. Season OVER. Like WHAT THE HELL? Carter made 8 threes last year and 18.2% from distance. He went 10 games in a row down the stretch where he didnt make a 3 (0-13). Our record was 5-5 down the stretch and Carter was playing 23 minutes a game. This is what I'm talking about. He may have loved the "little things" that Carter did, but we were 4 on5 on offense, and essentially a .500 team with Carter out there. We all saw it. Why didnt the guy in charge?

If he cant make adjustments, then Steele is over his head as a HC. he seems like a genuinely good dude and great recruiter. But only 80 minutes matter each week.
    As for SteeleÂ’s first two years, the roster was shallow of offensive talent (partly his fault for the transfers he ultimately chose to bring in, but alas his hands were pretty tied from Mack having completely whiffed on an entire recruiting class). ItÂ’s hard to implement the scheme you talked about when you donÂ’t even have the shooters to keep the defense honest (two years of Quentin Goodin and Naji Marshall on the perimeter). Could Steele have done something different with those teams? Yes, IÂ’m not totally absolving him. Watching some of the long shots Quentin and Naji would hoist up made my blood boil, as IÂ’m sure it with many others.
    Now as for last years team, I have some stats for you:
    11 games: 76.7 ppg | 46% FG | 35% 3FG
    9 games: 69.7 ppg | 43% FG% | 29% 3FG
    Can you guess which stats belong to the Xavier team before there was a month long period where they only played one game, and which stats belong to the Xavier team that played after that middle of the season interruption?
    Btw I didnÂ’t even include that 101 point game vs Oakland in the first line of statistics. You say Steele does scheme well with the personnel he has, I say letÂ’s see what this yearÂ’s team does without brutally long covid pauses that interrupt the entire flow of the team.

I suppose Xavier could go 5-0 to start the season, which would include a win over OSU, but if theyÂ’re not getting to the foul line as much as youÂ’d like, you would determine Steele isnÂ’t evolving as a coach? IÂ’m personally interested to see, you know, how the season ends.. which is where SteeleÂ’s teams have not played well the last couple seasons.

Your last couple paragraphs are absolutely true and very well written. Agree 100%. This year is definitely SteeleÂ’s make or break. He cannot make the same mistakes with lineups that have cost us games the last couple years. Only thing I would say to you is, donÂ’t worry if the style of offense isnÂ’t what you think it should be. I think this team has shown it can shoot well, and will have an improvement in that facet this year (better than any team SteeleÂ’s coached). We will see

Sophomore
    I don't know why but each of the past 2 seasons X (and Steele) had 2 starters (Q and Carter) who were serviceable for 10 games and literally seemed to forget how to play the last 10. I heard about shoulder with Q and ankle(with Carter) but no confirmation. Tandy started the last few games for Q in 19-20 and Wilcher only 1 game in 2021. Last year with Nate and Stanley out there maybe was not a replacement(although I don't see how Griffin or even Ramsey could have been worse). I was befuddled both years as it was clear we were not getting starter's production from starters. This year with so many players we may have an opposite problem. Good luck X. I still say Gillespie MSG flop cost us 20 w and NCAA in 19 and Baldwin dagger cost us 20 and NCAA in 20(no tournament) . Last year not even close (despite the last 4 in dream until the end.) Let's pray