Page 39 of 51 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    But you're ok with the pga tour accepting billions of dollars from the Saudis? And having a tour stop there just last year! And you agree that the pga does not give appearance fees. That is so outdated when you look at sports today. They are finally making some changes but would they have if Liv didn't come around
    Not only does tennis, the next best sports comparison, give appearance fees, I'm pretty sure you get paid if you lose in the 1st round.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    But you're ok with the pga tour accepting billions of dollars from the Saudis? And having a tour stop there just last year! And you agree that the pga does not give appearance fees. That is so outdated when you look at sports today. They are finally making some changes but would they have if Liv didn't come around
    In regards to appearance fees, no the tour itself doesn’t, but sponsors do. I’d like to see where the tour accepts billions from the saudis? The tour stop was the dp.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for the millionaires that are on the tour? Is that what you are getting at? You do realize the tour is run by the players, right? They are the ones making the rules.

I guess im trying to understand what you are defending or why you feel strongly in a positive manner about the liv tour? Is it because you believe the tour has been oppressive to the players, or do you think players should just be able to do what they want?

I’m not against players doing what they want to do, but they need to make the choice; either the tour (and all of the things that go along with being a tour member such as world golf rankings etc) or not, and yeah I don’t like the liv tour because it’s supporting a horrible country with a horrible human rights record. Whether the government or any other business makes money from the saudis shouldn’t in my view justify the liv tour being ok.

I also have zero interest in watching liv and probably never will. I watch golf tournaments not only for specific players but because of the courses they play that have that historical aspect to it and the tradition etc.
    Last edited by Xville; 08-11-2022 at 04:57 PM.

Cameron Smith “reportedly” heading to the LIV with six other Fed Ex Cup playoff participants.
    The PGA has serious problems.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/liv-g...n-smith-report
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Cameron Smith “reportedly” heading to the LIV with six other Fed Ex Cup playoff participants.
    The PGA has serious problems.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/liv-g...n-smith-report
    6 of the top 30 or 6 of the top 125 ?
    Who knows, we'll see.

Supporting Member
    the tour is going to be just fine. Woods and Mcilroy brokered a meeting with most of the top 30 being present this past week....Hideki and Cam Smith are gone. The ones who were there: Woods, Mcilroy, Scheffler, Cantlay, Spieth, xander, finau, thomas, rahm, morikawa, hovland, zalatoris, fowler, kisner, cam young, fitzpatrick etc etc

Many things were discussed and you can read it for yourself, but basically the tour is going to have a whole lot of no cut top 60 tournaments with big paydays and some other what sounds like top golf type events. Basically sounds like the LIV tour... I don't like how this is going to further fracture the pga tour, and honestly outside of the majors, I'm probably going to be watching a whole lot less golf.

Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    6 of the top 30 or 6 of the top 125 ?
    Who knows, we'll see.
    6 of the 30 competing in the Tour Championship
    Mama always told me, stupid is as stupid does. @danagardens

Supporting Member
    really doesn't matter if its top 30 or top 300...the only ones leaving that remotely move the needle are Smith and Hideki. Hideki is probably way more of the needle mover due to Japan.

I don't think this really hurts the tour (most of the ones that move the needle are staying, and there is going to be plenty of money) but what I do feel is that this is going to hurt golf overall because it's going to be very fractured.

The OWGR has to give points to LIV tour events at this point. Otherwise WGR are a joke. Also, I think this has the potential to make boring old golf majors much more interesting when PGA Tour guys face off against their LIV Tour rivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    the tour is going to be just fine. Woods and Mcilroy brokered a meeting with most of the top 30 being present this past week....Hideki and Cam Smith are gone. The ones who were there: Woods, Mcilroy, Scheffler, Cantlay, Spieth, xander, finau, thomas, rahm, morikawa, hovland, zalatoris, fowler, kisner, cam young, fitzpatrick etc etc

Many things were discussed and you can read it for yourself, but basically the tour is going to have a whole lot of no cut top 60 tournaments with big paydays and some other what sounds like top golf type events. Basically sounds like the LIV tour... I don't like how this is going to further fracture the pga tour, and honestly outside of the majors, I'm probably going to be watching a whole lot less golf.
    Sooooo. This is basically proving what many players, and this writer, have been saying for years. That the Tour has been screwing the players over and they’ve deserved much more. It’s about time. For years many of the top players in the world have been undercompensated and those guys who were in the worlds top 300, but below the top 125, have been getting by on a shoestring trying to Monday qualify or play mini tours to make ends meet. PGA golf had no guaranteed contracts.
    At some point there WILL be a reconciliation similar to the AFL NFL merger many years ago. And I would guess that The Royal & Ancient and European Tour will help broker it.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    Sooooo. This is basically proving what many players, and this writer, have been saying for years. That the Tour has been screwing the players over and they’ve deserved much more. It’s about time. For years many of the top players in the world have been undercompensated and those guys who were in the worlds top 300, but below the top 125, have been getting by on a shoestring trying to Monday qualify or play mini tours to make ends meet. PGA golf had no guaranteed contracts.
    At some point there WILL be a reconciliation similar to the AFL NFL merger many years ago. And I would guess that The Royal & Ancient and European Tour will help broker it.
    None of what LIV has done or has been proposed by the pga tour is going to change that, so I don't know what you are getting at. In fact, what the tour is considering is going to make it an even bigger divide between the haves and the have nots.

I think you are kidding yourself if you think there is going to be some kind of merger between LIV and the Tour.