Page 28 of 51 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    If you are "in" the Saudi tour, will the PGA bar you from participating in its tour? And does that include the 3 majors on US soil?
    Yes, the PGA just announced a ban for those players.

However, it is my understanding that the PGA does not govern the majors and these players are expecting to be able to play in all the majors. The PGA will surely try and sway the majors (or whoever runs them) to ban them but the PGA doesnt have that power.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...olf-tournament

The article above states LIV had ongoing discussions with Kokrak. Not sure if that means no longer ongoing or still ongoing?
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 06-09-2022 at 10:50 AM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    I for one would like to see Kokrak go. Make a ton of money and would be one of the bigger draws. On the pgatour he gets zero coverage unless he's winning. Fox or someone will pick this league up now that DJ and Phil committed

I realize the Saudis have lots of money, but what is the end game financially? This Tour seems to be destined to lose $100's of millions every year. I would think even the Saudis have their financial limits.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes, the PGA just announced a ban for those players.

However, it is my understanding that the PGA does not govern the majors and these players are expecting to be able to play in all the majors. The PGA will surely try and sway the majors (or whoever runs them) to ban them but the PGA doesnt have that power.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...olf-tournament

The article above states LIV had ongoing discussions with Kokrak. Not sure if that means no longer ongoing or still ongoing?
    I guess past major champions can probably play future majors if those governing body says it’s ok. Wondering about those suspended who got invitations based off of past tour performance.

Here’s the suspension letter from PGA.

https://twitter.com/eamonlynch/statu...eVu_okXzTT_Ctw

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Another thing to consider would be eligibility for the Presidents' Cup and Ryder Cup. Qualifying for that will undoubtedly be easier given that the golfers who defected to the LIV Tour will no longer be eligible.

As for the exact schedule, there are 3 events that overlap during the summer:

RBC Canadian Open/London

John Deere Classic/Portland

Rocket Mortgage Classic/Trump National-Bedminster

The remaining 5 events take place after The Tour Championship - they won't even attract casual fans once foosball gets underway.

When just one isnt enough X-band '01's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xuwillie View Post
    I for one would like to see Kokrak go. Make a ton of money and would be one of the bigger draws. On the pgatour he gets zero coverage unless he's winning. Fox or someone will pick this league up now that DJ and Phil committed
    I doubt he'd be a bigger draw there even though he's not someone known to a casual golf fan.

As for TV rights, keep in mind Fox bombed out after they relinquished the rights to the US Open and let it go back to NBC.

Dustin Johnson, who assumedly (that word is not in Xavierhoops spell check) can still play in all the majors, is laughing somewhere, trying to count up to $125 million.
    The PGA letter sounds good, and it's true the game is built on years of work from many parties.
    But it's also a lot like the NCAA before the walls came crashing down.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by XU 87 View Post
    I realize the Saudis have lots of money, but what is the end game financially? This Tour seems to be destined to lose $100's of millions every year. I would think even the Saudis have their financial limits.
    Sportswashing is real and this feels like that sort of situation to me.

We keep hearing about the guaranteed money, and the numbers are staggering. It does make me wonder about other revenue stream like endorsements. What percentage of their total income comes from endorsements? Would those endorsements continue on a smaller stage playing fewer tournaments? Or can they be dropped? What is the net financial gain, other than an easier schedule and less pressure? Losing sponsorships has to hurt.

I can’t blame somebody for accepting $125 million for a lighter workload. That is their decision, and I wish it was MINE! I’m just wondering how all the other numbers work.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    We keep hearing about the guaranteed money, and the numbers are staggering. It does make me wonder about other revenue stream like endorsements. What percentage of their total income comes from endorsements? Would those endorsements continue on a smaller stage playing fewer tournaments? Or can they be dropped? What is the net financial gain, other than an easier schedule and less pressure? Losing sponsorships has to hurt.

I can’t blame somebody for accepting $125 million for a lighter workload. That is their decision, and I wish it was MINE! I’m just wondering how all the other numbers work.
    I can kind of blame someone for joining a league that is owned by a country with centuries of human rights abuses and largely responsible for 9/11.