Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast
    Hall of Famer
    I had forgotten too and so I read up on it to remind myself….from the fbi investigation that was over 4 years ago. So stupid this stuff takes that long.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I had forgotten too and so I read up on it to remind myself….from the fbi investigation that was over 4 years ago. So stupid this stuff takes that long.
    They were actually issued a ban last year, and they appealed it late in the year. Because it was under appeal, the ban was lifted pending the decision. The decision is in, and they are banned again.

So..it only really took them THREE years!! That's much more swift!!!
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

It's the busiest day of the year!! It's not even close, really. There are 184 games today involving D1 teams. Unfortunately, it looks as though only 181 of them will be on TV or have video streams available. I can't help but feel like we are being cheated!!!!

Hall of Famer
    College basketball has a huge opportunity to actually do something right and get people interested in the sport before March, but they continually fail like they have today on opening day. There are two whole games tonight (and that may be a stretch) that anyone out of respective fan bases or degenerative gamblers give a crap about. This big East wrap around thing could be really cool, but instead it involves a bunch of games that no one cares about against inferior competition.

Anyways, just my two cents…

Went to the Wofford home opener tonight. They also had 63 pts...in the first half.
    64% from behind the arc, with wonderful (real) plays to take advantage of mismatches, and rotation for open looks (many inside/out).
    Was a pleasure to watch.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Man, Emoni Bates & Jalen Duren both look like the real deal, and Banchero was pretty legit today too, good start for the top prospects in the country in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Went to the Wofford home opener tonight. They also had 63 pts...in the first half.
    64% from behind the arc, with wonderful (real) plays to take advantage of mismatches, and rotation for open looks (many inside/out).
    Was a pleasure to watch.
    I'm jealous!
    Must be in the front row

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    College basketball has a huge opportunity to actually do something right and get people interested in the sport before March, but they continually fail like they have today on opening day. There are two whole games tonight (and that may be a stretch) that anyone out of respective fan bases or degenerative gamblers give a crap about. This big East wrap around thing could be really cool, but instead it involves a bunch of games that no one cares about against inferior competition.

Anyways, just my two cents…
    I actually think it's better than it used to be. It's still not as good as I wish it were, but in the first 72 hours we have two games that feature two top ten teams. That seemingly never used to happen.

The problem is that while college basketball is popular all over the country, the individual teams are not. Very few games during the regular season are of legit national interest. On any given night tens of millions of people are watching college basketball, but they're watching about fifty different games. I mean, if you think about it, do any games during the regular season really interest anyone other than the respective fanbases and degenerate gamblers?? I mean even on this site, we do this thread every year, and there are times that I feel like I'm the only person posting in it. It usually doesn't concern Xavier, which is the only team the vast majority of people on here really care about, and the only team that they're going to make it a point to watch.
    Last edited by xubrew; 11-10-2021 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    The problem is that while college basketball is popular all over the country, the individual teams are not..
    Is that really a "problem?" With 350+ teams, the interest will be on your own team. If TV has made more of those games watchable by their respective fan bases in some fashion, that seems to be a good thing.
    Would be hard to do something like the NFL with 32 teams, who can dominate regionally on Sunday, put on a national game Sunday and Monday night, because teams only play once a week and only two teams are playing on Monday night.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Is that really a "problem?" With 350+ teams, the interest will be on your own team. If TV has made more of those games watchable by their respective fan bases in some fashion, that seems to be a good thing.
    Would be hard to do something like the NFL with 32 teams, who can dominate regionally on Sunday, put on a national game Sunday and Monday night, because teams only play once a week and only two teams are playing on Monday night.
    In my opinion it's not a problem at all. Poor choice of words, perhaps. The SITUATION, then...

I suppose it's a problem if you're a TV executive that's looking for regular season games that will draw ten million viewers. That simply will not happen. But, that's not my job title, so I don't care. I actually kind of like it the way that it is. There were 184 games yesterday. 181 were either on TV or had video streams available. I for one think that is fantastic!! But, like you alluded to, with that many options, forget about any regular season games every getting big national ratings.
    Last edited by xubrew; 11-10-2021 at 11:12 AM.