Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Olympic High Jumpers Share Gold Medal

DISCLOSURE: I haven't been watching the Olympics. I haven't watched for several decades. I don't really care. If this is how they want to run their shop, then good for them! I'm not even shopping there. It's got nothing to do with me.

Having said that, I understand that this is a very feel-good story, and the sentiments are amazing. What I had no idea about was that this was even a thing. Like...I didn't know that it was within the rules that it could even be done. As feel-good as it is, I also admit that it strikes me as being very strange. If Game 7 of the World Series went into extra innings (something else I don't watch) or the Super Bowl went into overtime (something else I don't watch), or if the National Championship game in basketball went into overtime (that I occasionally watch), I just don't think the powers that be would declare both teams the winners if both teams asked if that would be okay. I don't know what they'd do, to be honest. They'd probably be in complete and utter shock at being asked such an outrageously stupid question, but once they had gathered themselves and were able to answer the question the answer would undoubtedly be an emphatic 'NO!!!!!' It is, after all, A COMPETITION!!

But, if that's what they wanted, then good for them, I guess. Like I said, it's not my barbecue.

https://time.com/6086388/high-jump-gold-medal-tie/
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

weak.

They should give both of them a Silver medal.

All-Conference
    Why the rules are set up to even allow it is an even bigger question. Not to mention the biggest stage.

It's almost like putting a guy who struck out in the ninth a free pass to second base in the 10th.

Oh...wait....
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    DISCLOSURE: I haven't been watching the Olympics. I haven't watched for several decades. I don't really care. If this is how they want to run their shop, then good for them! I'm not even shopping there. It's got nothing to do with me.

Having said that, I understand that this is a very feel-good story, and the sentiments are amazing. What I had no idea about was that this was even a thing. Like...I didn't know that it was within the rules that it could even be done. As feel-good as it is, I also admit that it strikes me as being very strange. If Game 7 of the World Series went into extra innings (something else I don't watch) or the Super Bowl went into overtime (something else I don't watch), or if the National Championship game in basketball went into overtime (that I occasionally watch), I just don't think the powers that be would declare both teams the winners if both teams asked if that would be okay. I don't know what they'd do, to be honest. They'd probably be in complete and utter shock at being asked such an outrageously stupid question, but once they had gathered themselves and were able to answer the question the answer would undoubtedly be an emphatic 'NO!!!!!' It is, after all, A COMPETITION!!

But, if that's what they wanted, then good for them, I guess. Like I said, it's not my barbecue.

https://time.com/6086388/high-jump-gold-medal-tie/
    I saw a video of it today, they were gonna go to a jump off, and the Qatar guy asked if they could both get gold instead, the rules guy said "yup if you both agree" and he looked at the Italian guy, and who basically jumped into his arms and had an emotional moment. So I guess it is what they wanted, that being said, I don't know if I would do that in their position, obviously I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to represent your country at the olympics and have a shot at gold, but I think the competitor in me. would want to leave no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by GIMMFD View Post
    I saw a video of it today, they were gonna go to a jump off, and the Qatar guy asked if they could both get gold instead, the rules guy said "yup if you both agree" and he looked at the Italian guy, and who basically jumped into his arms and had an emotional moment. So I guess it is what they wanted, that being said, I don't know if I would do that in their position, obviously I can't even begin to imagine what it's like to represent your country at the olympics and have a shot at gold, but I think the competitor in me. would want to leave no doubt.
    I’m just kind of astounded that there is a rule in place that allows competitors to both be declared winners if they both decide they’d rather not compete. It seems very odd. But….whatever. The Olympics can do their own thing and if this is what they want then okay.
    Last edited by xubrew; 08-02-2021 at 04:53 PM.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    I’m just kind of astounded that there is a rule in place that allows competitors to both be declared winners if they both decide they’d rather not compete. It seems very odd. But….whatever. The Olympics can do their own thing and if this is what they want then okay.
    I have petitioned the Olympic Committee requesting a Participation Award since I was so heavily and emotionally invested in this event.

Does the bronze medal winner get a silver now? LOL. J/K
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Weird reminds me of the 1941 Indianapolis 500. Mauri Rose took over for Floyd Davis during the race who was in 17th place (because Davis was sucking wind and Rose’s car broke down on lap 60). Rose ended up winning and now they both get credit for winning the race. Obviously I wasn’t at the race, but got a signed picture of Davis from my Dad’s work event (late 70’s) and didn’t know who the hell he was.

Oh well, at least I got a “Dear Noteggs” autograph picture for my basement from a 500 winner.

I think it was a business decision. Doubt this would not have gone well in the USA. But in their home countries, it will probably be lucrative. The guy from Qatar has 1 of 2 gold medals for the entire country and the guy from Italy has 1 of 5 golds for his country. I would expect the future speaking and appearance fees in their home countries would be worth substantially more with a gold vs silver and no one is going to remember it was shared down the road.

These Olympic athletes have a strange life. They compete year round to sparse attention and then once every 4 years they compete with literally everything (current and future) on the line. I don’t blame them for cashing in. Might only get one chance.