Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biles

All-Conference

Biles

Interested to hear people’s takes today on her. I don’t want to diminish mental health because obviously that is a serious thing. Are we as a society teaching people not to face adversity and just blame mental health?

I think I get biles’ take here better than Osaka’s whinnies about the big bad media asking questions, but interested to hear takes here

Supporting Member
    I haven't looked deep into it, but I believe there was a rule change this year that they no longer drop the lowest score on your team for each event. Meaning that if she just tried to push through it, it could have caused more damage to her team by posting poor scores.

Biles has performed consistently on the biggest stages for almost a decade now. I am not sure what the underlying issue was today, but I think she has earned the benefit of the doubt.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

The coverage of Biles for the rest of these games is going to be nausea inducing.

An ultra talented gymnast that I was hoping to see kick the crap out of the competition. I wonder if all the endless GOAT talk got to her? I cringed every time the media said it. Wait for the games to be over damn it!
    Veritas vos Liberabit

I’m confused

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I’m confused
    Right. We noticed that about 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by xeus View Post
    Right. We noticed that about 15 years ago.
    How long did it take you to figure me out?

I saw a documentary on HBO hosted by Phelps that examined the depression issues Olympic athletes suffer, including gold medal winners. It was well over half the athletes with many suicides. They sacrifice so much of their lives to train, bypassing normal life experiences, and when it’s over they don’t know what to do. Sad.
    It's time for a bourbon on the rocks!

She has earned the benefit of the doubt, but I also question…..why now? I’ll wait until I know a whole lot more before I make any further comment, but even then I don’t plan to pass any judgment. Gymnastics is not my thing, but I can appreciate the talent and dedication it takes to be at the top top level in any sport. Mainly because I never was, even though I tried to be.

As for the athletes that suffer depression after their Olympic career is over…I totally get it. It’s is very very hard for many to come to the realization that you’re getting old and can no longer do the things you used to be able to do. Very hard to deal with it. Combine that with having to find a new focus in your life, and it’s easy to see why depression can set in. It’s a problem for people when they retire, or for some couples when the kids grow up and move away, or for people when they leave the military.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    She has earned the benefit of the doubt, but I also question…..why now? I’ll wait until I know a whole lot more before I make any further comment, but even then I don’t plan to pass any judgment. Gymnastics is not my thing, but I can appreciate the talent and dedication it takes to be at the top top level in any sport. Mainly because I never was, even though I tried to be.

As for the athletes that suffer depression after their Olympic career is over…I totally get it. It’s is very very hard for many to come to the realization that you’re getting old and can no longer do the things you used to be able to do. Very hard to deal with it. Combine that with having to find a new focus in your life, and it’s easy to see why depression can set in. It’s a problem for people when they retire, or for some couples when the kids grow up and move away, or for people when they leave the military.
    Now throw in that the added issue of those who you trusted most to reach your goals allowed you to be (or at least were reckless in not protecting you from being) sexually abused by a man that will spend the rest of his life in jail before a long residency in the pits of hell.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack