Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Doesn’t McDermott have some similar choke jobs to Mack in the tournament? I just remember thinking the team with his son was going to do great and they lost pretty early
    Yes. I think McDermott is the 2nd best coach in the BE, which doesnt say a whole lot for the BE coaches. A lot of mediocre (terrible tourney results with some really good teams) after Jay Wright.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    How is this for a narrative:

Regardless of how the season turns out, and I am assuming that it is not going to turn out well by our standards, Steele is let go.

Sean Miller is brought back as the HC. Think about that as you will, but it is the redemption Trail for Sean Miller. It comes with the caveat that he will not leave Xavier for a minimum of 10 years, assuming good health and positive results on his part. Frankly, I’m not sure we would even need a contract to lock him up for the long term. I believe he would relish the chance to do it all over again.

From there, he becomes the coach that takes the Buick all the way to the F4.
    Dream scenario. I have heard Miller back to X though will never happen.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Yes. I think McDermott is the 2nd best coach in the BE, which doesnt say a whole lot for the BE coaches. A lot of mediocre (terrible tourney results with some really good teams) after Jay Wright.
    You could say the same thing about a lot of coaches at a lot of schools in several different conferences. If you’re going to judge a coach purely on their results in March you’re going to be disappointed by the vast majority of them. There’s so much more than just the head coach that effects March Maddness results.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    You could say the same thing about a lot of coaches at a lot of schools in several different conferences. If you’re going to judge a coach purely on their results in March you’re going to be disappointed by the vast majority of them. There’s so much more than just the head coach that effects March Maddness results.
    I agree they can't be only judged by that, however, when you have some really good teams a number of times and consistently flame out in March it's going to put a damper on your resume. It would be ok if you went on a run with other teams of yours occasionally who were as good (see Chris Mack) but when you never do that its a problem. Like or not these guys ultimately get judged on their results in March. The current BE coaches are severely lacking in that area outside of Wright.