Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Final4 View Post
    How soon before we see all these woke individuals/organizations who have been arguing to pay players begin backpedaling, in comedic fashion, stating that they didn’t fully understand all the consequences.
    man, they will never see it! They dont want to see it. The want to point out all the "problems" and never offer a workable solution. And then, look the other way when it spirals out of control.

What happens if a player enters into an external agreement to be compensated based on their NIL and they then do something that reflects poorly on the university? Can the University sue the player for painting them in a negative light by their actions since the player is using their affiliation with the school to be compensated? If the player wears any of the trademarked or copyrighted materiel from the university in anything they do externally, is the university to receive compensation from the player for the use of THEIR NIL? Just random thoughts I was having...
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    What happens if a player enters into an external agreement to be compensated based on their NIL and they then do something that reflects poorly on the university? Can the University sue the player for painting them in a negative light
    They certainly could refuse to renew their scholarship. Scholarships before and after NIL are not 4 year guarantees.

the player is using their affiliation with the school to be compensated?
    Much like professional athletes in commercials, they will not be permitted to use their affiliation without the school's permission. It will be on the consumer to make that connection on their own.

If the player wears any of the trademarked or copyrighted materiel from the university in anything they do externally, is the university to receive compensation from the player for the use of THEIR NIL?
    Yes, or there likely will be a trademark issue with the entity paying the player.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Thank you for those answers! Another one. Since a player can now use their NIL for compensation, can the university use that same player to advertise for the university and/or team and then compensate that same person for being in the ad? That might be problematic......

Thank you for those answers! Another one. Since a player can now use their NIL for compensation, can the university use that same player to advertise for the university and/or team and then compensate that same person for being in the ad? That might be problematic......
    Doesn't the university already do that (use the players for advertising the university brand) and reimburse the player with a scholarship?
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    Doesn't the university already do that (use the players for advertising the university brand) and reimburse the player with a scholarship?
    That clearly is not enough.....LOL

Supporting Member
    I am not quite sure of these restrictions, but there is some waiver in licensing of their NIL that the university has as we frequently see players on billboards and promo material for the school and athletics. However, and please someone give me an example if you can think of one, I do not know if I have ever seen a player appear in a 3rd party ad on behalf of the school.

In this new wild west, I am curious if it could be arranged with a joint licensure for the University trademark and for the player's likeness. I have to think yes as the Coaches do that now (and I bet the coaches are being compensated for appearing in the ad).

Selfishly, I am hoping a deal can be worked out to bring back the NCAA video games for football and basketball. However, without some sort of player's association I am not sure how EA can get that done except reaching deals with every individual player.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by STL_XUfan View Post

Selfishly, I am hoping a deal can be worked out to bring back the NCAA video games for football and basketball. However, without some sort of player's association I am not sure how EA can get that done except reaching deals with every individual player.
    This is coming next and soon I imagine.

Would think Skyline has to be coming up with something for both Xavier and UC players for the shootout. If not they are missing the boat.
    Balls of Steele!!

No, schools cannot "hire" their athletes and pay them.