Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I guess I’m just not as trusting. If it was that easy any former pro could get top 10 recruits? I’m know he’s got some charisma (and maybe some active boosters?), but Memphis as a city and as a school do not seem like top destinations. Didn’t they get some top recruits before Penny arrived? I could obviously be wrong, but it just seems to smell a little funny. But we will probably never know….
    Obviously.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    Obviously.
    Am I the ONLY one who finds this fishy? Maybe I’m influenced by my impression of Memphis, a place I have admittedly never been. When my wife was on the Board at St Jude Children’s Hospital she interviewed for the head of the fundraising arm (as opposed to the medical side). She learned they were having a horrible time finding anyone qualified who was willing to live in Memphis. A friend who was raised in Tennessee has theories on that, but that’s for another time and place.

Not to long ago I met one of the top guys at FedEx and his wife. That was right here in Atlanta, where they live. I think he has a place in Memphis, but wouldn’t live there full time.

Memphis does not have Mark Few or the track record of Gonzaga, but they sure seem to attract some top flight talent….for some reason. I’m sure Penny is a great guy, but….it just feels odd to me. If Arizona and the like are playing games with bags of cash, why not Memphis?

I know, I offer nothing of substance to back that up, it’s just a gut feeling.

Historically Memphis is a very good program with a lot of support from the city. They've certainly had their periods of struggling, but I'm not sure Memphis being successful at recruiting with a hall of fame alum coaching should be considered fishy.

OK, I’ll just be glad these top 5 kinda guys aren’t going to Duke and UK the way they usually do.

In the past, a lot of the 5* talent going to Memphis was home grown. Hardaway was an AAU coach before taking the Memphis job, so several the players in his first year or so where alumni from his AAU team out of that area. It helps to have a pro player of his status to attract talent, especially in a talent rich area of the country. It was no surprise to me that SJU, when Mullins was there, got some NY kids it might otherwise not have. It’s no surprise to me that GTown, with Ewing, is getting some highly regarded bigs. Memphis has some past history of excellent teams reaching back several decades, so I’m not at all surprised that the combination of a Hall of Fame player, who is an alumni of the school, and is from the area, combined with a talent rich area and a school with a history of being a top 20 program, is getting 5* players to attend. It also wouldn’t surprise me if there was some money involved somewhere too.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    In the past, a lot of the 5* talent going to Memphis was home grown. Hardaway was an AAU coach before taking the Memphis job, so several the players in his first year or so where alumni from his AAU team out of that area. It helps to have a pro player of his status to attract talent, especially in a talent rich area of the country. It was no surprise to me that SJU, when Mullins was there, got some NY kids it might otherwise not have. It’s no surprise to me that GTown, with Ewing, is getting some highly regarded bigs. Memphis has some past history of excellent teams reaching back several decades, so I’m not at all surprised that the combination of a Hall of Fame player, who is an alumni of the school, and is from the area, combined with a talent rich area and a school with a history of being a top 20 program, is getting 5* players to attend. It also wouldn’t surprise me if there was some money involved somewhere too.
    He is not in the HOF.

Quote Originally Posted by profson View Post
    He is not in the HOF.
    Memphis and Orlando Magic halls

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Memphis and Orlando Magic halls
    ...and undoubtedly his HS HOF too.

Junior
    I may be wrong, but I think going clear back to Dana Kirk starting in 1980 Memphis has always had a shady reputation. No classes, money, pd relatives, vacated NCAA apperances. Hell, Derrick Rose is almost illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I may be wrong, but I think going clear back to Dana Kirk starting in 1980 Memphis has always had a shady reputation. No classes, money, pd relatives, vacated NCAA apperances. Hell, Derrick Rose is almost illiterate.
    I can’t cite any specifics, but that is my impression of the program. I don’t know why and couldn’t back it up, but it’s just my gut feel.