Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    The non-conference schedule is just about set (just need to sort out the opponents for the pre-season NIT):

https://goxavier.com/news/2021/7/7/m...-schedule.aspx

Tue 11/9 Niagara
    Fri 11/12 Kent State
    Thu 11/18 Ohio State (Gavitt Tipoff Games)
    Sun 11/21 Norfolk State
    Wed 11/24 NIT at Barclays Center (Memphis, Virginia Tech, Iowa State)
    Fri 11/26 NIT at Barclays Center (Memphis, Virginia Tech, Iowa State)
    Wed 12/1 Central Michigan
    Sun 12/5 at Oklahoma State (BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle)
    Wed 12/8 Ball State
    Sat 12/11 Cincinnati (Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout)
    Wed 12/15 Morehead State

Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Excellent article on Cesar Edwards in the Cincy paper.

I truly hope Travis is successful this season. He certainly knows how to put the pieces together.
    He reminds me a lot of Dawson Garcia. Not only physically but in his game as well.

Speaking of- Garcia landed in Chapel Hill.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by usfldan View Post
    The non-conference schedule is just about set (just need to sort out the opponents for the pre-season NIT):

https://goxavier.com/news/2021/7/7/m...-schedule.aspx

Tue 11/9 Niagara
    Fri 11/12 Kent State
    Thu 11/18 Ohio State (Gavitt Tipoff Games)
    Sun 11/21 Norfolk State
    Wed 11/24 NIT at Barclays Center (Memphis, Virginia Tech, Iowa State)
    Fri 11/26 NIT at Barclays Center (Memphis, Virginia Tech, Iowa State)
    Wed 12/1 Central Michigan
    Sun 12/5 at Oklahoma State (BIG EAST-Big 12 Battle)
    Wed 12/8 Ball State
    Sat 12/11 Cincinnati (Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout)
    Wed 12/15 Morehead State
    That is looking pretty okay to me.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    That is looking pretty okay to me.
    I have no idea how difficult scheduling good teams can be, especially with the challenges of COVID. Scheduling might be a more difficult task than I now realize. But, most of us on this board believe there is a lot of talent on this year's team---with lots of returnees who played together last season. Given that, I would like to see us play higher quality teams, on the precipice of B.E. play, than Ball State and Morehead State. Meaning no disrespect to either team, I think X better prepared for play in a tough conference by scheduling tougher opponents in non-conference segment of schedule. Its not like we expect to see only a five to six player rotation. We think we have lots of talent. Let's find out.

That is why I said pretty okay rather than great. UC, OSU (both of them!), and the NIT games are decent with other games against MEH teams to work on things before the BE. X now has to weigh the non-con differently since it was the only real opportunity to play major teams before A-10 Conference play. Had to do some damage then. Now, things are very different. Which is why 4/5 games against decent teams in the non-con works and is pretty okay.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by xudash View Post
    Excellent article on Cesar Edwards in the Cincy paper.

I truly hope Travis is successful this season. He certainly knows how to put the pieces together.
    Travis seems to know how to GATHER the pieces. He is yet to put the pieces together in any meaningful way.

Quote Originally Posted by xucub View Post
    Travis seems to know how to GATHER the pieces. He is yet to put the pieces together in any meaningful way.
    Well said. He really doesn’t have any excuses this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

Quote Originally Posted by xucub View Post
    That's exactly what I thought when I read 'dash's post. If he truly figures out how to put the pieces together, watch out.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpin_Jamal_Forever View Post
    I have no idea how difficult scheduling good teams can be, especially with the challenges of COVID. Scheduling might be a more difficult task than I now realize. But, most of us on this board believe there is a lot of talent on this year's team---with lots of returnees who played together last season. Given that, I would like to see us play higher quality teams, on the precipice of B.E. play, than Ball State and Morehead State. Meaning no disrespect to either team, I think X better prepared for play in a tough conference by scheduling tougher opponents in non-conference segment of schedule. Its not like we expect to see only a five to six player rotation. We think we have lots of talent. Let's find out.
    Mario has appeared on a few different podcasts to discuss the difficulties of scheduling and it is really interesting.

I am sure I will get some of this wrong, but the math works out as follows:

29 games + Multi team event (with 2 games) or 28 + MTE (with 3 games)
    Big East = 20 games

8-9 games left to schedule
    UC is always one
    Big East/Big 12 challenge-
    Big East/ Big 10 Challenge-

That leaves you with 5-6 games.

Cintas Center doesn't pay for itself, so you need to have a certain number of home games to maximize profits.

Any team A-10 and above are going to demand a home and home series, or a neutral site. This will take one game away from Cintas, so need to schedule those opposite of Crosstown shootout. Further, any of these teams probably are in the same type of scheduling bind as us, so finding a match even when you have availability isn't easy.

After that you are looking for buy games that will finish high in their own conference, but will also help pad the win total

So while I always want to see us play better competition, the opportunities aren't always easy to come by.
    "If our season was based on A-10 awards, there’d be a lot of empty space up in the rafters of the Cintas Center." - Chris Mack

Quote Originally Posted by muskiefan82 View Post
    That is why I said pretty okay rather than great. UC, OSU (both of them!), and the NIT games are decent with other games against MEH teams to work on things before the BE. X now has to weigh the non-con differently since it was the only real opportunity to play major teams before A-10 Conference play. Had to do some damage then. Now, things are very different. Which is why 4/5 games against decent teams in the non-con works and is pretty okay.
    I'll give the non-conference schedule a solid "B." Reasons:
    1. While X has many returning players, several are injured/banged up; need games to integrate their skills, & find out readiness for BE play.
    2. Other players will by vying for playing time; a few "easier" opponents will give Travis & Company chances to evaluate & make choices on rotation(s).
    3. In the post-covid world X probably had some difficulty in scheduling; I like the before Christmas mix.