Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    #BidensAmerica

Oh, but no mean tweets though!!! It’s going so well.
    Can we honestly not just have a discussion about an issue in this thread without you coming in with an almost completely unrelated blanket political attack? There is a whole thread for that, to which you are (or course) a prolific contributor. You offered no commentary on the issue, and nothing of any value to this thread.

This was the most civil, interesting, and informative thread about a politically-adjacent issue that I have seen on this board in years. We made it 4 days. Thanks.
    Eat Donuts!

Not covid related but seems to hit the theme here. One of the best education I got while at X was working as a part time restaurant manager. Took a flier on hiring this young black man originally from Birmingham who had a past record for selling drugs.

Hired him at minimum wage as a dishwasher. Never in my life did I see someone take so much pride and enjoyment from doing a job like that. After a short period of time, decided to move him to line cook. Unfortunately he couldn’t read or write and ingredients for menu items were written out.

Simple solve, we took pictures of the items and hung them on wall in front his station. For lack of a better term, this young man was a kitchen stud. Promoted him to food prep which was highest paid position in the kitchen and this done within a year to year and half timeframe. Think he was making between $13-15 an hour which was not bad for the late 80’s and for the type of restaurant.

One day he came into my office in tears. Asked him what was wrong and he stated his wife’s family called the police on him for selling drugs. He swore up and down he was not. So asked him why would they do this? He said they just got into a fight because his wages were bringing down the monthly benefits they were getting from the state.

Long story short, I truly believe people want to succeed and be self sufficient no matter the job and we can do a little to help them get there.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Not covid related but seems to hit the theme here. One of the best education I got while at X was working as a part time restaurant manager. Took a flier on hiring this young black man originally from Birmingham who had a past record for selling drugs.

Hired him at minimum wage as a dishwasher. Never in my life did I see someone take so much pride and enjoyment from doing a job like that. After a short period of time, decided to move him to line cook. Unfortunately he couldn’t read or write and ingredients for menu items were written out.

Simple solve, we took pictures of the items and hung them on wall in front his station. For lack of a better term, this young man was a kitchen stud. Promoted him to food prep which was highest paid position in the kitchen and this done within a year to year and half timeframe. Think he was making between $13-15 an hour which was not bad for the late 80’s and for the type of restaurant.

One day he came into my office in tears. Asked him what was wrong and he stated his wife’s family called the police on him for selling drugs. He swore up and down he was not. So asked him why would they do this? He said they just got into a fight because his wages were bringing down the monthly benefits they were getting from the state.

Long story short, I truly believe people want to succeed and be self sufficient no matter the job and we can do a little to help them get there.
    Wow! Thank you for sharing that. I wish I was shocked, but I have no reason to be surprised in the least. The system is very broken.

It may not be Covid related, but it is certainly related.