Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Covid - The Job Market

Thought a separate thread would be interesting on this topic. Not concerned about the WHY as much as what's happening in different areas of the country and within the Cincinnati area.

Talked to a guy today who said that the Chipotle in his neighborhood is only open from 1pm to 8pm.

I take my dad out to lunch every Tuesday and there are many places that are not open that used to be.

What's up with manufacturing? Feels like we are in Russia where you have to wait 6 months to get what you want. And from what I can tell, things are only going to get worse. Anything with a computer chip is going to be back logged.

Last I heard is that chlorine and paper products are going to be in high demand again as there are going to be shortages.

Things are opening back up but boy is it a lot slower than I would have thought.

What is happening in your neck of the woods? In your Industry?
    Balls of Steele!!

My son took a new job about 6 months ago, but he’s NEVER been to the office or met anyone in person. My wife hired a new assistant and went to the local office about a month later just to take her a gift and welcome her in person. The only time either of them has been to the office in recent memory.

My wife used to travel at least part of 3 weeks a month, usually to NYC. She hasn’t been there in over a year. I hope it NEVER goes back to the way it used to be. They spent a fortune on airfare, taxis, meals and Manhattan hotel rooms. Everything is still getting done, and probably more efficiently. Why go back to the old way? A trip here and there should be plenty.

I went to a restaurant this week and the usual bartender was working the patio. I asked why, and she said all the bartenders had to take one day a week serving because they just can’t hire enough people.

Hats off to you for the regular lunches with your dad!

I’m the Controller for a local manufacturing company. We currently have something like 18 open positions in the plant. We have trouble getting people to show up for the interviews they’ve already agreed to. We also have them just not show up on what’s supposed to be their first day. The pay is not bad, $15+ depending on experience. Unlike a lot of manufacturing facilities , the plant is climate controlled so the work environment is comfortable year round.

My wife tried to stop at a Frisch’s for lunch the other day. They were only doing drive thru and carry out. They didn’t have enough servers show up to open the dining room.

The extra $300 per week in unemployment from the Feds is making it too easy for some people to stay home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I left my previous job because 70% of our revenue came from an in person conference with 45k attendees. Last year's cancellation policy paid for FY20, but that was out the window for future years.

My current role is consulting for non profit organizations and I have actually been on site with one of my clients 1-2 times a week.

My wife works for a large consulting company that is doing so well that they are trying to burn through cash so they don't have to report record earnings and live up to record profits going forward. Tough problem to have.

On the flip side, we are tabling an addition to our home until early next year in hopes that the price of lumber comes back to reality. Rumor has it that there is a shortage and it's 3X what it was.

Our daughter-in-law used to do group sales for the large Omni hotel in downtown Atlanta attached to the Convention Center. She was very good at it and actually earned more than our CPA son. She made the first cut on furloughs but that only lasted so long and she had to find a new line of work. It’s going to be a long time before you get 600 ophthalmologists coming to town for conventions. Fortunately, they lived up to the 25% employee discount for their “public wedding” at the Omni Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC last weekend.

Speaking of weddings, there is a HUGE backlog of people who maybe did a little church thing (like we did) but put off the public ceremony until things improved. At any given time they had 6-8 invitations on their refrigerator as all there friends we getting married. All those plans were wiped out! Grove Park Inn had 6 weddings the weekend we were there.

We considered redoing our master bath a couple years ago but did some other projects instead. We will start that project next month, but the price has almost doubles using the same contractor.

I think you are hitting on a number of issues, MADXSTER. Some of them have to do with the labor market (restaurant/factory worker shortages for example), while others have to do with disruptions in the global supply chain (semiconductor shortages).

For the labor-driven shortages, I think that the enhanced unemployment is absolutely a major factor. Many people also have 2 income households with kids no longer in school all day for 5 days a week. If one of those parents has the opportunity to stay home for as much as (or even close to) what they were earning, they are likely going to do so.

A lot of shortages have to do with reliance on foreign producers for key products - this should be addressed going forward, IMHO, to ensure that the US has adequate productive capacity for key goods and can scale if needed (what if we have a significant conflict with China, for example). This is a problem that is 40 years in the making, it just took a crisis to expose it.
    Eat Donuts!

I was going to replace the wood on our existing deck last year and put it off due to the price increase in lumber. Looks like I'll be putting it off again.
    Balls of Steele!!

Supply chain for many industries is struggggglllliing. Imported products are even worse. Some shipments are being bought out from under us at the ports, and no one wants to work in a factory right now. There is a nationwide driver shortage which has affected most every consumer good in the market. Companies can sell, take orders for products, and IF they have inventory, they can't ship the items because no one will load it or drive the load.

This summer they are saying the driver shortage will get worse. Drivers for tanker trucks are so desperately needed, it will likely affect the ability to buy gasoline at some point. I currently work for a company that distributes food and dry goods to the restaurant industry. Every single supplier is having issues, and most distributors are as well.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Speaking of drivers....Uber is investing $250 Mil to get drivers back on the road. NOW would be the time if you wanted to make a little extra driving for a ride share company. Because of as lack of drivers a ride to The Battery (where the Braves play) that used to cost me about $7 for the 3 mile, 8 minute ride has recently been going for $19-$34. And that is IF you can get a driver. For the first time ever I got a response that said “No Drivers Available” several times, including once that resulted in me hiking home 3 miles.

Hell, for $34 every 8 minutes I would consider cruising around chatting with folks!

If you used to drive for Uber for some extra cash, NOW is when you might want to look at going back!

Stain was just ahead of the curve.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.