Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bengals 2021

Bengals 2021

Draft is tonight and the bungles are most likely going to take Ja'Marr Chase out of LSU. I'm not Team Chase. I don't hate the guy (I think he will be good) but we need an OL to protect Burrow. We also need a defensive line to get to the other team's QB. The bungles still haven't learned that games and Super Bowl titles are won in the trenches. If Mahomes had a better OL, they win that Super Bowl last year. Conversely, the Bucs saw what a great defensive line can do for you. The Chiefs have all kinds of weapons but those weapons can't be properly utilized if your QB is constantly running for his life. Even if that QB is Patrick Mahomes. The same applies to the bungles.

I get it - the draft is apparently deep at the OL position. So the theory is take Chase in the first round and go OL in the second. However, I'd argue that the bungles should go OL in round 1 AND round 2. Do people really believe Spain is the answer at guard? Riley Reif is only on a one year contract. What if somebody gets hurt? Jonah Williams has missed a lot of games so far in his two seasons. It's imperative that we fix the line and provide depth at the position. If Burrow can stay upright, the bungles will win games.

I haven't even talked about the defensive line. It was terrible last year WITH Lawson. All the bungles did was replace the departures with additions. Nothing was upgraded or improved this offseason. Hendrickson isn't any better than Lawson. The bungles need to draft help for the defensive line.

But yeah, watch the bungles take Chase tonight. Then get ready to watch Burrow run for his life and get ready for another 10 to 13 loss season.

Thoughts?

I can see taking Chase as a deep threat for Burrows. But you're right that he can't get the ball if the O line is shit like the the last so many years.
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by XUOWNSUC View Post
    But yeah, watch the bungles take Chase tonight. Then get ready to watch Burrow run for his life and get ready for another 10 to 13 loss season.

Thoughts?
    Agreed. Sewell seems to be a can’t miss OL guy. How good have the Bengals been taking OL over the last few years? I don’t trust them to make a good OL pick in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Golf is a relatively simple game, played by reasonably intelligent people, stupidly.

I watched the video with Pollock working out Sewell, and was not impressed. It was right after that the noise switched to Chase. Sewell doesn't look like a surefire prospect to me. I think I would take Slater over him. Actually if they could pick-up another 2nd rounder by trading down a few spots, might not be a bad option.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I watched the video with Pollock working out Sewell, and was not impressed. It was right after that the noise switched to Chase. Sewell doesn't look like a surefire prospect to me. I think I would take Slater over him. Actually if they could pick-up another 2nd rounder by trading down a few spots, might not be a bad option.
    Do you have a link to the video? I'd like to see it.

Do you have a link to the video? I'd like to see it.
    I don't know where I saw for sure. I think it was probably a link on the Bengals Board, but can't find.

Draft is tonight and the bungles are most likely going to take Ja'Marr Chase out of LSU. I'm not Team Chase. I don't hate the guy (I think he will be good) but we need an OL to protect Burrow. We also need a defensive line to get to the other team's QB. The bungles still haven't learned that games and Super Bowl titles are won in the trenches. If Mahomes had a better OL, they win that Super Bowl last year. Conversely, the Bucs saw what a great defensive line can do for you. The Chiefs have all kinds of weapons but those weapons can't be properly utilized if your QB is constantly running for his life. Even if that QB is Patrick Mahomes. The same applies to the bungles.
    I haven't even talked about the defensive line. It was terrible last year WITH Lawson. All the bungles did was replace the departures with additions. Nothing was upgraded or improved this offseason. Hendrickson isn't any better than Lawson. The bungles need to draft help for the defensive line.

Thoughts?
    Three things have plagued the Bengals pretty consistently for my viewing life.

1. Subpar O-Line Play - It gets QBs hurt, and prevents you from running the ball.

2. Lack of Discipline - See: Jones, Pacman and Burfict, Vontaze

3. Andy Dalton was a good regular season QB but a world-class playoff choke artist

They absolutely have to address the O-line in a big way this offseason, IMO. Whether they will or not, who knows?
    Eat Donuts!

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    Wonder if skipping the season because of covid concerns hurt his workout performance? The guy hasn’t taken a snap in 16 months.

Supporting Member
    there is a consistent theme that separates the good teams and the bad teams---line play....give me a good o-line and a good d-line, and teams will find a way to win most games. Drafting a WR at that spot makes little sense for the bengals which is probablywhy that will be their pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    there is a consistent theme that separates the good teams and the bad teams---line play....give me a good o-line and a good d-line, and teams will find a way to win most games. Drafting a WR at that spot makes little sense for the bengals which is probablywhy that will be their pick.
    Agree on all counts. Using high picks on WR's and RB's is a luxury you can afford after you have good/great line play.
    Eat Donuts!