Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New Assistants?

  1. #1
    Sophomore IM4X's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    2,025

    New Assistants?

    Does anyone know more about the new assistants we will be getting and the rumor brought up by XAVIER (the poster not the school) that Jonas Hayes is leaving for Tennessee?

    Is there any truth to this rumor?


    Also, I saw on Twitter a rumor that Tom Ostrom and Justin Gainey were going to be Steele’s new assistants at X.

    Is any of this this legit?

  2. #2
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    13,840
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    Does anyone know more about the new assistants we will be getting and the rumor brought up by XAVIER (the poster not the school) that Jonas Hayes is leaving for Tennessee?

    Is there any truth to this rumor?


    Also, I saw on Twitter a rumor that Tom Ostrom and Justin Gainey were going to be Steele’s new assistants at X.

    Is any of this this legit?
    Saw that tweet on Twitter as well. No idea the validity to it.
    "Iím willing to sacrifice everything for this team. Iím going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. Iím going to play harder than Iíve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

  3. #3
    Gainey is a decent coach for big men. If he comes it would lend credence to Hayes leaving. Gainey is a pretty decent coach of bigs.

  4. #4
    Voice of Reason Masterofreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    On America's Great North Coast
    Posts
    19,181
    If Jonas leaves it tells me he’s abandoning the ship before it sinks.
    And does he take any players with him?
    BTW. To “coach” Bigs you have to GET Bigs first.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

  5. #5
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    If Jonas leaves it tells me he’s abandoning the ship before it sinks.
    And does he take any players with him?
    BTW. To “coach” Bigs you have to GET Bigs first.
    What does it say if he stays? Apparently he has turned Tennessee down twice now. Once a couple of years ago and once already this year. But I guess Tennessee keeps trying and maybe they are throwing more money at him. We will see. Also is Zach a big or does he not fit your narrative?

  6. #6
    All-Conference
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,924
    The narrative since this staff was put together was that they were good recruiters but either didnít know x and oís or just lacked the experience. From the results of the past years, those narratives have either been proven to be true, or Steele just wonít listen to them. So, Iím not going to fret if the entire staff leaves. If the team had been successful the last couple of years, I may be concerned.

    Either Steele figures it out this year, or he is probably gone

  7. #7
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaXUGrad View Post
    Gainey is a decent coach for big men. If he comes it would lend credence to Hayes leaving. Gainey is a pretty decent coach of bigs.
    He was the recruiter that landed Dawson Garcia and Also Jonas Aidoo. Aidoo is a top 60 - 21’ kid who decommitted with the Marquette coaching change. 6’11” 245. I would imagine if Gainey comes Xavier will be involved with Aidoo.

  8. #8
    Tenn is coming after Hayes again, but so is Western Carolina as HC.
    Coaches don't make Xavier, Xavier makes coaches.

  9. #9
    Supporting Member paulxu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    16,638
    The fact that some of our guys are returning (as opposed to transferring) would seem to be contra of some narratives here.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

  10. #10
    Junior xavierj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Northern KY
    Posts
    5,100
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    The fact that some of our guys are returning (as opposed to transferring) would seem to be contra of some narratives here.
    Exactly. Itís pretty obvious the players donít feel the same way about Travis as many of the posters on this board. Travis has a lot to improve upon but some of the stuff on here is just a bit over the top. I know Travis isnít dumb and also knows where he needs to improve and the consequences if he doesnít.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •