View Poll Results: Which X player would you have most wanted for a 5th year?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tre Bluiett

2 5.00%
  • David West

25 62.50%
  • Tu Holloway

3 7.50%
  • JP Macura

3 7.50%
  • Byron Larkin

3 7.50%
  • Brian Grant

0 0%
  • Tyrone Hill

0 0%
  • Romain Sato

0 0%
  • Other

4 10.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

Which Former X player would you most want for a 5th year?

I asked this on twitter and thought it would be an interesting discussion here. Who would you have most wanted for a 5th year?

EDIT: If other please comment who, I am interested to hear other names.
    Last edited by D-West & PO-Z; 04-02-2021 at 09:44 PM.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Ok this is totally cheating since he left early, but he was technically at x for 4 years. Could you imagine Derrick Brown though on that 2010 team with Crawford and Tu? Hello final four.

On that same note, I guess I’d say west but I’m just not sure if sato, charmers etc raise their game enough if west is there. Kinda Ewing effect I dunno. I’d like to say tu because he’s probably my favorite x player ever but the team was hot garbage the year after he graduated.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-02-2021 at 09:23 PM.

Walk-On
    I gotta go with Zach Hankins........... J.P. a close second.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Ok this is totally cheating since he left early, but he was technically at x for 4 years. Could you imagine Derrick Brown though on that 2010 team with Crawford and Tu? Hello final four.

On that same note, I guess I’d say west but I’m just not sure if sato, charmers etc raise their game enough if west is there. Kinda Ewing effect I dunno. I’d like to say tu because he’s probably my favorite x player ever but the team was hot garbage the year after he graduated.
    Yeah Brown would have been amazing staying for his 4th year.

There are two ways to look at it kind of how you alluded to. You can either just straight up think who you thought was great and would have just wanted another year of, but a more nuanced way of deciding is what the player would have brought to the team the following year and the potential of that team with that player.

Either way I think my answer is West.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

West.

Just think about the ‘04 team with him.

Supporting Member
    An equally interesting question is who would you add to our upcoming team, excluding West (too easy). I pick Hill because he fills the biggest hole.

I voted Tu Holloway because Tu was the guttiest X player I ever saw, but Stanley Burrell was a close second.
    The Hammer was an incredible Leader in play, word and example.
    "I Got CHAMPIONS in that Lockerroom!" -Stanley Burrell

Quote Originally Posted by Masterofreality View Post
    I voted Tu Holloway because Tu was the guttiest X player I ever saw, but Stanley Burrell was a close second.
    The Hammer was an incredible Leader in play, word and example.
    No argument with either of those players being tough SOB’s, but if we are looking at the CURRENT roster I think that you’ve got to go with a big, and none was better than DW. Hill was great, no doubt. But DW fits today’s game better and IMO would jell better with the current roster. Not to mention that he would be the vocal leader that they need and that Hill wasn’t. Hill was more of a quiet player. DW could kill people with just his look sometimes. His attitude at times was just give me the ball and stay out of the way, I’ll do the rest...we aren’t fu$#@*g losing this game! Tu was the same way. I was at the Vandy game and it was incredible to see in person, but they need a big more than they do guards.

But I’d love to have either Tu or Stan on the coaching staff....IMO Odom could turn out to be another one of them with the proper tutelage.

Fun discussion and I don’t think there is a wrong answer.

Freshman
    Um........ the leading scored in XU hisotry, Byron Larkin! Thats is a NO brainer!! A close second, Derek Strong, Jamal Crawford and Brian Grant! Hon. mention: Anthony Hicks, Jeff Jenkins, Dexter Bailey, John Shimko, Eddie Johnson and Victor Fleming!
    Last edited by basket; 04-03-2021 at 06:56 AM.

Interesting question and some really good answers. I’m with a vile. For me, there is no one I was hoping would stick around for another year than D Brown. I think if he stayed one more year, we may have made it to a Final Four and he may have been a little more prepared for the NBA. It is unfortunate he stepped out of bounds at the end of the Pitt game in the tournament and it is too bad we never got to see him be part of that team the following year.

Since the question was “which player would you want for a 5th year”’ I would then go with Hankins because he was really starting to reach a high level and was still getting better. You could see how much fun he was having out there. It was just a joy to see him become more and more comfortable (and impressive) and see his game grow.

There are so many good players it would be great to have back for a fifth year but two other players I would be most excited to see play are Derek Strong and JP. Those two were playing there ass of and peaking at the end of their senior years. It was so much fun to watch them play and I would pay a little extra to see either of them on the court for playing with X for one more year.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-03-2021 at 08:52 AM.