Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

So what BIG are we gettin’?

This is simply too important not to have its own thread- A place exclusively for news about the bigs X is in on.

We need a BIG now! A good OL’ fashion SIX FOOT TEN TRUCK.

Someone who takes up space in the lane like Stainbrook... blocks shots like West... cleans the boards like Hill.

We need someone who ain’t afraid to throw it down even with someone in their face like Jalen or Jones. Someone who’s always in position for the easy dish and flush like Farr. Don’t care if he is as athletic as D Brown or as sturdy as O’Mara. Maybe it’s someone blossoming late like Love. It just doesn’t matter. The fact is -This team needs a solid big who can bang. The fans know and so does Steele (right coach?)

The only questions is... Who we gettin’?

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    This is simply too important not to have its own thread- A place exclusively for news about the bigs X is in on.

We need a BIG now! A good OL’ fashion SIX FOOT TEN TRUCK.

Someone who takes up space in the lane like Stainbrook... blocks shots like West... cleans the boards like Hill.

We need someone who ain’t afraid to throw it down even with someone in their face like Jalen or Jones. Someone who’s always in position for the easy dish and flush like Farr. Don’t care if he is as athletic as D Brown or as sturdy as O’Mara. Maybe it’s someone blossoming late like Love. It just doesn’t matter. The fact is -This team needs a solid big who can bang. The fans know and so does Steele (right coach?)

The only questions is... Who we gettin’?
    His name is Cesare Edwards.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Funny how UCLA, Alabama, Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, St, USC, Houston and Oregon St, made NCAA deep runs this year with ZERO lumberjacks 7 foot and 240 pounds.
    The Big 10 might own them but it didn't help come tourney time.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    I hope you are right and he fits into that role nicely. From the tapes I’ve watched, he looks more like a big kid more comfortable playing out on the perimeter. He does have a nice size to him, but I don’t recall seeing any film of him playing much defense in the paint or even playing near the basket. Do we know how many rebounds he averaged his senior year?

We really need him (or someone) to be more like James Farr was his senior year - not like James Was during his early X years. It would be great if the films of Edwards are not a complete representation of his game and he can be that guy in the paint we need.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-03-2021 at 09:22 AM.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Funny how UCLA, Alabama, Arkansas, Oregon, Florida, St, USC, Houston and Oregon St, made NCAA deep runs this year with ZERO lumberjacks 7 foot and 240 pounds.
    USC had a 7’ lottery pick and a 6’11 pro along with being the second tallest team in the country . UCLA has a lottery pick, Oregon state actually did have a 7’0 lumberjack. Florida state is the tallest team in all of d 1 basketball. One of Arkansas’ best players is 6’10 245.

Not sure where you got your info. Now saying all that, there is a way around not having to have a 6’10 235+ guy and make the tourney and advance, but you better have some athletic freaks like Oregon, bama and houston have. So either x get a big guy or two or suddenly become athletic freaks...there is one on the roster right now—Odom that we have seen. Maybe one of the freshmen are.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-03-2021 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    You make a good point that the player doesn’t have to be a load as long as he can play well in the paint. Hankins is a great example. If Edwards can play defense and block and make buckets and grab rebounds like Zach did, I think we will all be pleased as punch.
    Last edited by IM4X; 04-03-2021 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    I hope you are right and he fits into that role nicely. From the tapes I’ve watched, he looks more like a big kid more comfortable playing out on the perimeter. He does have a nice size to him, but I don’t recall seeing any film of him playing much defense in the paint or even playing near the basket. Do we know how many rebounds he averaged his senior year?

We really need him (or someone) to be more like James Farr was his senior year - not like James Was during his early X years. It would be great if the films of Edwards are not a complete representation of his game and he can be that guy in the paint we need.
    I believe Edwards averaged over 12 rebounds a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    USC had a 7’ lottery pick and a 6’11 pro along with being the second tallest team in the country . UCLA has a lottery pick, Oregon state actually did have a 7’0 lumberjack. Florida state is the tallest team in all of d 1 basketball. One of Arkansas’ best players is 6’10 245.

Not sure where you got your info. Now saying all that, there is a way around not having to have a 6’10 235+ guy and make the tourney and advance, but you better have some athletic freaks like Oregon, bama and houston have. So either x get a big guy or two or suddenly become athletic freaks...there is one on the roster right now—Odom that we have seen. Maybe one of the freshmen are.
    Jones is more athletic than you think. I expect a huge leap from him. He also shot 39% from three the last month of the season. That kid is going to be legit. If Zach adds 15 to 20lbs that would help too.

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Jones is more athletic than you think. I expect a huge leap from him. He also shot 39% from three the last month of the season. That kid is going to be legit. If Zach adds 15 to 20lbs that would help too.
    I agree jones is going to be legit. Zach isn’t going to add that kind of weight..his frame won’t allow it.

We will see about the freshmen...I’ll believe it when I see it.
    Last edited by Xville; 04-03-2021 at 10:00 AM.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I agree jones is going to be legit. Zach isn’t going to add that kind of weight..his frame won’t allow it.

We will see about the freshmen...I’ll believe it when I see it.
    I think it will take some time for Cesare Edwards to adjust to college life in the post. He might not be ready until next year to contribute significant minutes to this team. How would you feel if Steele gets another 6’7-6’8 power forward who is more of an outside shooter instead of getting a 6’9-6’11 center who does his damage in the post?