Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Freshman
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    This was pretty much my point. Rarely did we see X guards (or bigs who were out on the perimeter) attacking the basket after a shot went up on offense. I would love to see a stat that shows how many offense rebounds X grabbed out of all the 3s Carter and Free took and missed. My guess is it is a very small number. Steele needs to make the point that just one more rebound a game could be the difference between winning and losing.

On a separate note, X is averaging 8 less FT attempts (15.9) a game than the last team under Mack (24.1). That is about 5 or six lost points right there. Steele needs to work on that as well.
    Just as an FYI, FT's per game across all of NCAA D-1 were down almost five per team this year compared to the last couple of years. There was a real emphasis to reduce the referees' impact on games. I think it also had the impact of speeding up games as well. As far as the make %, I don't think anyone can compare this year to any prior year when there were several long stretches were kids were not allowed out of their rooms and couldn't shoot at all, especially free throws, to stay in form. That being said, I don't understand why every college basketball player can't make 70%. I have two left feet and three left hands and I can make 70%.
    Frank Layden (Jazz): "Son, what is with you? Is it ignorance or apathy?" "Coach, I don't know and I don't care!"

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    But they got to the line a lot more. So there is that.

And there is also the reality that getting to the line also means the opponent is more likely to be in foul trouble and has to go deeper into their bench.

I would argue that an "And 1" bucket is actually MORE valuable than a made 3 on offense. And I'm not talking about only when you MAKE the FT. I'm saying an "AND 1" where you just get the chance to take a FT is often more beneficial that a made 3. Odds are you make the FT about 2/3rds of the time, but you also rack up a foul on an opposing player, and add to the team fouls, which gets you to the aptly named "bonus" a little quicker. (this is a situation dependent comment, of course).

I pointed out this foul issue after 8 games this year. Its a 3 year trend headed in the wrong direction.
    Yeah I get that, getting to the line is huge. I didn't look at the numbers over Mack's tenure for that. Obviously comparing any year to 2018 will look bad given what we accomplished that year and the players we had.

I was responding more so to what I took as an assertion that Mack cares more about FT's and his teams were always so good at making them. In reality only a little over half of Mack's teams shot better than X did this past year.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by BandDad View Post
    Just as an FYI, FT's per game across all of NCAA D-1 were down almost five per team this year compared to the last couple of years...

That being said, I don't understand why every college basketball player can't make 70%. I have two left feet and three left hands and I can make 70%.
    I haven’t really looked at all the schools but I will take your word that FTA have been down a little by most teams this past season. Still, Xavier’s FTA per game were only down about 2 per game compare to the two previous years under Steele -not 5- which is still more than 6 FTA less than Mack’s team.

Add in the poorer foul shooting by Steele’s players and we are still talking about a 7 point difference between FTA made by Mack’s teams and Steele’s. That would still get them in the tourney with only 4 loses (even if nothing else was done belter by the team) .

What about Jack Nunge from Iowa?

Supporting Member
    Nunge just committed to X.

Supporting Member
    Sweet! Don’t know anything about his game but he’s a big guy, good ft numbers, increased rebounding numbers every year. If anything, he provides an option so I’ll take it!

He’s a 22 year old grad transfer with what looks like 3 years eligibility?

All-Conference
    The kind of player this team needs. What's his story? We so many years left at 22? Injuries?

Enquirer story on Nunge - looks like one year redshirt and one year injured.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ge/7150725002/

Great get!

Get that knee healthy!