Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Is this a problem?

Even though the now constant fluidity of the transfer reality will keep things interesting, there will be the inevitable dead space on boards like this until late summer. I want to throw something out for discussion that has perplexed me for a very, very long time.

Looking at the general landscape of D1 BBall, particularly during Tourney time, it always seems to be loaded with INTERNATIONAL talent in most cases. "WHY" does X continue to do nothing, to procure any of these fine players? What is not being done HERE, that so many are reaping significant benefit?

In particular in the "Big Man" area. Through what methods and channels are so many programs getting a plethora of TRUE BIGS, from say Africa, South America, Eastern Europe? Xavier desperately needs to roster these type guys to have any realistic long term success in this league....nearly everybody else in conference has them. One would think a fine institution like Xavier, would be a magnet for these guys. What are we not doing?

Just would like to hear from some of the more experienced voices here, on why X continues to have zero success landing these type players.
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by Xuperman View Post
    Even though the now constant fluidity of the transfer reality will keep things interesting, there will be the inevitable dead space on boards like this until late summer. I want to throw something out for discussion that has perplexed me for a very, very long time.

Looking at the general landscape of D1 BBall, particularly during Tourney time, it always seems to be loaded with INTERNATIONAL talent in most cases. "WHY" does X continue to do nothing, to procure any of these fine players? What is not being done HERE, that so many are reaping significant benefit?

In particular in the "Big Man" area. Through what methods and channels are so many programs getting a plethora of TRUE BIGS, from say Africa, South America, Eastern Europe? Xavier desperately needs to roster these type guys to have any realistic long term success in this league....nearly everybody else in conference has them. One would think a fine institution like Xavier, would be a magnet for these guys. What are we not doing?

Just would like to hear from some of the more experienced voices here, on why X continues to have zero success landing these type players.
    Who are the foreign guys in the Big East. Seton Hall and Georgetown I think had one. UConn has one, but he is more of a finesse guy. I don’t think Nova and Creighton have any.

Being the team guy that I am, I am willing to commit a full month, maybe even two, to scouring Italy in search of our next great big man. I will do this in much the same manner that OJ searched every golf course in Florida searching for the real killer.

But first, I’m going to need a little advance for expenses. To whom do I submit this invoice?

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    Who are the foreign guys in the Big East. Seton Hall and Georgetown I think had one. UConn has one, but he is more of a finesse guy. I don’t think Nova and Creighton have any.
    C'mon. A list of names is not necessary (there are plenty). Its just that I perceive this as a problem for X in today's game. Point is, X does not get ANY International talent, where as many top programs do....some high profile programs rely on it.

I only pose the question for discussion. What is keeping Xavier from utilizing this vast International pool of talent? Is it a financial situation to have scouts in other countries or just an overall philosophy?

Junior
    Always thought it would be cool to have international scout but at the end of the day I don’t know that it’s a huge difference and worth spending the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Always thought it would be cool to have international scout but at the end of the day I don’t know that it’s a huge difference and worth spending the money.
    That's my point. Is it a full time job or just connections that funnel this top talent thru?

Is it even worth it? I feel like it’s difficult to get international players to even want to play college ball. At the end of the day, I feel like it’s a waste of recruiting time. Maybe I’m missing something, but I don’t see the huge impact international players are making. Certainly not worth the effort to focus recruiting on them.
    Only way I could see it being beneficial to pour resources into it, would be if we could get a pipeline of recruits. Even then, I’m not entirely sure it would be a gamble worth taking.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    My guess is that the coaches who get these players have some connection through a coach or someone who tips them off to the player. Or they got one from a certain area that leads to others in the future.

Majerus had a couple different players from Australia and New Zealand while at SLU that were really good players for them when he got them to national relevance. This may have been because he had an in due to having Andrew Bogut at Utah? Not sure.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I can't tell if you really think this is a problem or if you felt the board needed yet another thread to complain about something.

Here's a list of 24/7's 2020 top international recruits: https://247sports.com/Season/2020-Ba...hool&State=Int

Who do you wish X had gone after and why?

I personally think there is a disproportionate ROI to scout and recruit internationally, and there are always additional considerations (and risks) with these kids qualifying. Bottom line is that I haven't seen any issues with X's recruiting at all, and not sure why the lack of international players is a concern for you.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    My guess is that the coaches who get these players have some connection through a coach or someone who tips them off to the player. Or they got one from a certain area that leads to others in the future.

Majerus had a couple different players from Australia and New Zealand while at SLU that were really good players for them when he got them to national relevance. This may have been because he had an in due to having Andrew Bogut at Utah? Not sure.
    I could just be assuming this but doesn't Gonzaga do pretty well internationally? I'm sure they have a system set up. I know for football there's companies that help grow their exposure and facilitate recruitment to get those guys over, but I'd assume basketball is different considering all the Euro leagues and ability to make money before heading over to the NBA. I'd also have to say having an international scout is not cheap, anybody wanna start a Go FundMe?