Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SM#24 View Post
    I think McDermott is a good coach; he looks low on my list because I have a higher opinion of Anderson and Ewing than most. If I was tiering them, I'd go Elite (Wright), Very Good (Hurley, Anderson), Good (Smart, Ewing, McDermott), Mediocre (DePaul hire (guessing for now, this could change), Willard, Cooley), Below Average (Jordan, Steele).
    I'm with you on Anderson. I'm lower on Ewing and Hurley though.

I think Ewing can be good though, just have him 8th for now.

I really want Ewing to succeed, he was my favorite NBA player growing up.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Cool thread, sorry I missed this:

1. Jay Wright
    2. Greg McDermott
    3. Mike Anderson
    4. Shaka Smart
    5. Ed Cooley
    6. Dan Hurley
    7. Kevin Willard
    8. Patrick Ewing
    9. LaVall Jordan
    10. Travis Steele
    11. DePaul for now -- I'm guessing they end up with a guy I'd slot between Willard and Ewing, or, between Hurley and Willard.

This is a depressing thread.

Where's my Jamison?
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post

1. Jay Wright
    2. Greg McDermott
    3. Mike Anderson
    4. Shaka Smart
    5. Ed Cooley
    6. Dan Hurley
    7. Kevin Willard
    8. Patrick Ewing
    9. LaVall Jordan
    10. Blue Blob
    11. T. Steele
    2023 Sweet 16

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMoeMusketeer View Post

1. Jay Wright
    2. Greg McDermott
    3. Mike Anderson
    4. Shaka Smart
    5. Ed Cooley
    6. Dan Hurley
    7. Kevin Willard
    8. Patrick Ewing
    9. LaVall Jordan
    10. Travis Steele
    11. DePaul for now -- I'm guessing they end up with a guy I'd slot between Willard and Ewing, or, between Hurley and Willard.
    Jay Wright
    Greg McDermott
    Shaka Smart
    Dan Hurley
    Ed Cooley
    Mike Anderson
    Pat Ewing
    Kevin Willard
    Travis Steele
    Lavall Jordan
    Brian DePaul Gregory

Junior
    I was working yesterday at a March Madness event with a Butler grad in his early 60s. According to him they want Jordan gone as much or more than we're ready to dump Steele. Jordan had a good excuse, lots of frontline injuries. Steele's excuse is, well...he was Steele.

I like Jordan, and the young guards he recruited are going to be a huge problem.

Quote Originally Posted by waggy View Post
    I like Jordan, and the young guards he recruited are going to be a huge problem.
    Butler never really strikes fear in me, I know we blew that 14 point lead, but we've had their number. I don't think you can sustain the level Brad Stevens had with Butler in back to back Final 4s, but it seems they've dropped off a bit from where they were. Not sure how recruiting has been for them, Jordan seems likable, better vibes than Kevin Ollie, but that's a pretty low bar.

For the rest of the conference, yes to Jay Wright as one, Hurley/Anderson/McDermott next, give me a couple years to re-assess Shaka Smart at Marquette, and then the rest of the conference in "who really cares," because nothing is outwardly impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I was working yesterday at a March Madness event with a Butler grad in his early 60s. According to him they want Jordan gone as much or more than we're ready to dump Steele. Jordan had a good excuse, lots of frontline injuries. Steele's excuse is, well...he was Steele.
    Most Butler fans don't. Jordan isn't as good as Holtmann and certainly not as good as Stevens, but he's not awful either. Had there been a tourney last year, he'd have made the NCAA tournament in 2 of his 4 years, which isn't great, but certainly not worthy of firing.

I was thinking about the fact that Ewing was sure to get fired soon....and I completely forgot they won the Big East Tournament last year. Even though I now know it's true, I still don't recall it at all. I guess I basically ignored the rest of the tournament after Xavier's craptacular exit. I wonder if that run will keep Ewing from getting fired after what is certain to be an atrocious 2021-22.