Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Supporting Member
    Given his resume, Ben Johnson getting a B1G job seems like a stretch. That said, good for him and I hope he does well. Obviously the right people saw something there so we'll just see how it turns out.

I'm also pretty confident in saying that unless we attend practices, team meetings, recruiting trips, etc. regularly, I don't think any of us really know shit about anyone's assistant coaches.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Here is the thing that makes it so surprising to us. We all thought that Steele probably needed to make some changes to his assistants and I don't think any of us would have thought too much about it if the change that was made was to let go of Johnson. I am not saying that would have been the right move but if it was the move would any of us thought it was really the wrong one or been upset? If the answer is no, that is why it seems so extreme to go from us thinking it wouldnt be a big deal if he were fired to getting a job as a Big 10 coach.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Sophomore
    Johnson’s contract approved today by the board of regents: 5 years, $9.7M.

https://www.fox9.com/sports/u-board-...ch-ben-johnson
    Last edited by XUBison; 04-28-2021 at 08:21 PM.
    Bjork Vanishes After Fan Tricks Her Into Saying Name Backwards ~ TheHardTimes.netb

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Here is the thing that makes it so surprising to us. We all thought that Steele probably needed to make some changes to his assistants and I don't think any of us would have thought too much about it if the change that was made was to let go of Johnson. I am not saying that would have been the right move but if it was the move would any of us thought it was really the wrong one or been upset? If the answer is no, that is why it seems so extreme to go from us thinking it wouldnt be a big deal if he were fired to getting a job as a Big 10 coach.
    I don’t know what Johnson added to the coaching side of the equation, but he sure did seem to be an effective recruiter.

The more things change, the more things change. I’m in favor of player options to move, but it makes recruiting your guys again every year a necessity. I fear I will enjoy college basketball much less as a result. It’s sad, but I have no control so I’ll just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post
    I don’t know what Johnson added to the coaching side of the equation, but he sure did seem to be an effective recruiter.

The more things change, the more things change. I’m in favor of player options to move, but it makes recruiting your guys again every year a necessity. I fear I will enjoy college basketball much less as a result. It’s sad, but I have no control so I’ll just move on.
    I have no idea what he brings to the table, but every team he has been an assistant has gotten worse during his tenure. I wish him the best, but Gopher fans are not pleased with the hire.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by xu82 View Post

I hope it doesn't become the NBA, where players recruit each other for 6 or 7 super teams.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I hope it doesn't become the NBA, where players recruit each other for 6 or 7 super teams.
    HEY! This is all about the players rights!

Didn't you get the memo about how horrible it is to be a D1 College Scholarship Basketball Player. It's Brutal. I mean free tuition, rockstar status, being on TV, potential pro career, and possible legacy at the school. I mean what kind of shit is that?

Giving player these liberties is the ONLY thing to do, and there are no negative side effects or any downside whatsoever.

The game will be just as enjoyable as it was, even more so now that the players are finally enjoying the freedom and liberties they deserve!

Fans will NOT go away and revenues will NOT drop, and players will be happy! The world will unite as a result of this perfect harmony!

And also, unicorns will come out of my ass.

Supporting Member
    $1.95M a year and he ranks 13 out of the 14 B10 coaches. I hope things work out with Travis and he is finally the one that stays. The salaries of the Power 5 coaches are out of control and not something the administration is likely to try and compete with. The road to a FF with a new coach every 5- 9 years is a long one.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    HEY! This is all about the players rights!

Didn't you get the memo about how horrible it is to be a D1 College Scholarship Basketball Player. It's Brutal. I mean free tuition, rockstar status, being on TV, potential pro career, and possible legacy at the school. I mean what kind of shit is that?

Giving player these liberties is the ONLY thing to do, and there are no negative side effects or any downside whatsoever.

The game will be just as enjoyable as it was, even more so now that the players are finally enjoying the freedom and liberties they deserve!

Fans will NOT go away and revenues will NOT drop, and players will be happy! The world will unite as a result of this perfect harmony!

And also, unicorns will come out of my ass.
    Lets not forget the hard life suffered by D1 head coaches. Making thousands of dollars per hour to coach a 4 month season.