Page 30 of 40 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    This is the kind of shit that worries me about good, young players. Prior to this year, Bishop really thinking hard about having to sit out a year and delay his opportunity to go pro. So he stays at Creighton, develops another year and likely goes pro after next season.
    Yeah, it sucks if someone good transfers from your team, but you can't make it a rule they can't just because selfishly you don't want them to leave your team.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    From SI article...

Current athletes who have already transferred during their careers do not qualify under the new rule—they cannot transfer again and be immediately eligible without filing a waiver. The NCAA will continue using a waiver system for individual transfer requests from athletes who have already moved schools once and are seeking immediate eligibility, but the waiver criteria is expected to be more stringent.
    So, still wondering about Carter since he was a grad transfer the fist time?

Someone like Mac McClung though, who is transferring again this year, would have to get a waiver to play next year?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    So, still wondering about Carter since he was a grad transfer the fist time?

Someone like Mac McClung though, who is transferring again this year, would have to get a waiver to play next year?
    Grad transfers have been immediately eligible for some time now. But it’s still the 4/5 rule. 4 years of eligibility to be used over a 5 year period, unless you’re granted a waiver. They basically just granted a waiver to everyone for this one year and said this past year doesn’t count. It’s a mulligan, a do over.

THIS year....EVERYONE can transfer and be immediately eligible. That’s a separate decision from the new transfer rules. They are doing that as part of the COVID response.

AFTER THIS year, the new rules will go into effect. Which means that IF someone transfers THIS year, and they want to transfer again in the FUTURE, they will need a waiver.

NOBODY will need a waiver to play next year.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 04-16-2021 at 09:10 AM.

I did read an interesting take from some high level football coaches.....they said that in their opinion they are going to lose many of their backup players that haven’t gotten a lot playing time. They admit that they might get a few of the top players from lower levels, but it’s won’t be great quantities.

Most interesting (IMO) is the estimate that upwards of 39% of the players entering the transfer portal WON’T find a new home and will be left out in the cold.

Just a point of clarification. There are no new transfer rules yet. Only proposals. We will probably see some new rules very soon, though.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Theo John to Duke.... not joking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Ha, good riddance. Dude played at Marquette for 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
    Just a point of clarification. There are no new transfer rules yet. Only proposals. We will probably see some new rules very soon, though.
    Just needs to be ratified by the board on the 28th. Council panel has officially approved the rule changes as of yesterday afternoon at the close of business.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    THIS year....EVERYONE can transfer and be immediately eligible. That’s a separate decision from the new transfer rules. They are doing that as part of the COVID response.

This is not how I understand it. this article says differently as well.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...-rule.amp.html

"Some players are giving new meaning to the term “well-traveled.” DePaul guard Charlie Moore entered the portal, and his next college will be his fourth, including previous stops at California and Kansas. Because he is not a first-time transfer, he will need a waiver at his new college, but that is expected to be a formality."

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Ok. Shit is off the rails.

This is EXACTLY why I was against this change.

The "Big boys" are just going to cannibalize the other 300 teams. Recruiting HS players wont even matter. Why put in tons of miles and hours chasing kids all around the country to watch them play against some high school talent? And then wait however long to see if they pick you?

Why not just build your team each year using freshmen and sophs out of the portal? Just pick off the unexpected stars from a team like Akron or ECU or Fordham. Well, maybe Fordham is a bad example.

But this is what I was concerned about. Marquette is not chopped liver. But Duke is Duke.