Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    I just wrote it above pretty plainly.
    Even with a lack of big men, it still didn't make much sense. That's how bad his stats were when he played significant minutes. It was blatantly obvious a change was needed when we got into Big East play.

You literally could have put in any scholarship player and have gotten better results.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Even with a lack of big men, it still didn't make much sense. That's how bad his stats were when he played significant minutes. It was blatantly obvious a change was needed when we got into Big East play.

You literally could have put in any scholarship player and have gotten better results.
    Yes, I mentioned in my posts multiple times that it was the wrong move. I think at this point everyone agrees on that front, including Steele, who evidently wasn't going to let the same thing happen next year.

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    The conundrum of analytics. As with anything else where decisions need to be made, usually more data equals better decisions. But when you use JUST the data as the be-all end-all in decisions, that's when you get into trouble. Rarely does JUST looking at stats give you a full picture. That's where decision making, experience, and knowing the personality of your team comes in.

DEFINITELY use practice stats as part of player assessment, but there should always be other pertinent criteria to help guide decisions.
    One example is “The hot hand.” It never shows up in stats but always seems to perform well throughout much of a particular game. When a guy is “feeling it” and able to “get to his sweet spot” or even able to “play his game” and still be in sync with his teammates in that game- good things happen. Being hyper aware of those types of intangibles and acting upon them as a coach can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Stats can answer WHO made a basket or HOW many rebounds player X got, but it doesn’t necessarily tell you WHY that happened. There are certain intangibles like confidence and tenacity that can show up in a player at a particular stretch of time or in a particular situation that can play a huge factor in momentum and chemistry that ultimately play into how well a team does on any given day.

The coach who understands how this works best has a big advantage- the coach who doesn’t often comes up short in games, squandering opportunity after opportunity by either screwing with what is working (messing with momentum) or not realizing WHY something isn’t working or even which players aren’t clicking in their role on offense or defense of a real game and why.

Wilcher heading to Nebraska

Wilcher to Nebraska, ensuring that the last we'll hear about his college career is the eternal Wilcher vs. Carter at the 4 in 2021 debate that we will all have until the day we die.

All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    One example is “The hot hand.” It never shows up in stats but always seems to perform well throughout much of a particular game. When a guy is “feeling it” and able to “get to his sweet spot” or even able to “play his game” and still be in sync with his teammates in that game- good things happen. Being hyper aware of those types of intangibles and acting upon them as a coach can be the difference between a win and a loss.

Stats can answer WHO made a basket or HOW many rebounds player X got, but it doesn’t necessarily tell you WHY that happened. There are certain intangibles like confidence and tenacity that can show up in a player at a particular stretch of time or in a particular situation that can play a huge factor in momentum and chemistry that ultimately play into how well a team does on any given day.

The coach who understands how this works best has a big advantage- the coach who doesn’t often comes up short in games, squandering opportunity after opportunity by either screwing with what is working (messing with momentum) or not realizing WHY something isn’t working or even which players aren’t clicking in their role on offense or defense of a real game and why.
    Exactly right.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    Wilcher heading to Nebraska
    Man. Nebraska finished last in the Big 10 last year...I guess it should mean playing time at least? Kyky was rumored to be going to the worst SEC team.

I hope they each do well. Just not exactly the big schools who went after them...not even average schools. Kyky I guess still could get some run, he has not committed yet.
    Last edited by Xavier; 03-26-2021 at 11:17 AM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    I guess we can put to bed the blue blood tampering to get his brother rumors, lol.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    Man. Nebraska finished last in the Big 10 last year...I guess it should mean playing time at least? Kyky was rumored to be going to the worst SEC team.
    I think CJ and KyKy are probably two of the most talented transfers out of Xavier ever, but I would have been surprised (or would be, in KyKy's case) if they end up as major contributors at a better program than X. Not a lot of true transfers "up" from this level.