Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    What’s wrong with taking all electives? I had about a dozen extra credits before I graduated by taking electives in place of just taking study halls and gym class. I think my senior year I only had 2 required classes the rest were all electives. My daughter had 2-3 college credits by taking AP courses and then passing tests. My son did 1/2 school and co-opted his senior year, graduated HS and went right into the trade Union as an apprentice. 99% of the kids that played football in KY high schools last year played in front of only family, same with soccer, wrestling, basketball, swimming, etc. This law gives the kids that want to,the opportunity to come back, play on the team, get seen, and maybe win a scholarship. What’s wrong with that?
    I went to a high school, where given the requirements (like must take 4 years of english, science, math etc) wouldn't have allowed for any of what you speak of. So wouldnt have worked for me. But theres nothing wrong with it per se, I just think it doesnt make a whole lot of sense (see post above for my opinion). Again I dont think it will be a big deal bc I think almost no one will do it (unless they need to academically).
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Imagine though, a junior who did really well, decides to repeat the junior year, but since they have already met the requirements, they take college courses through school instead or classes that will allow them to take Senior classes that provide college credit. They could really work this to their advantage and save massive $$ and time in college.
    We've come a long way since my bench seat at the Fieldhouse!

How? They can repeat their junior year too..if they want to. Keep in mind that KY is a LOT different from many other states, population wise. To such a point that a 7th grader is eligible for Varsity. More often than not, the schools outside the major metro area (which are few) are playing junior HS students on varsity squads because of NEEDING them to fill out a roster. This law won’t restrict or hamper anyone’s opportunities, or will only enhance them.
    I went to a high school in Kentucky where only freshmen and sophomores were allowed on JV teams. Juniors and seniors were varsity only. There was no academic reason for me to stay an extra year. Would have been a complete waste. But if a couple of players in the class ahead of me had decided to repeat their senior years, I absolutely would have lost MY senior season to the bench. So the junior class kids either have to spend an extra year they didn't want to spend in high school or risk losing a good chunk of their senior years to "repeaters". Again, someone gets screwed no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I think he gets who you are talking about, he just was using the college scenario as another example.

I like the college exception, because guys can actually benefit in life from another year of school as well as getting to play the sport.

This makes zero sense for high school students. I'm not a life isn't fair, suck it up kind of guy, but unfortunately that attituded is needed in this scenario. There is just no reason you can give where this makes sense. I also think an extremely tiny % of any high school kids would take advantage of it. Unless there are academic issues or reasons and they struggled and can wipe out bad grades for new ones trying to get into college.
    It about OPPORTUNITIES.....

The opportunities for a student that struggled with home based schooling to repeat the year with no stigma, and attend in-person classes.
    The opportunities for a student athlete to compete in front of college coaches and possibly win a scholarship.
    The opportunities for students that missed out on other extracurricular activities, that were completely cancelled, to participate in them.

I literally can’t see a downside to this....which is probably why it passed the State Senate 36-0 and the House 92-5.

Sophomore
    This is pretty dumb on so many levels

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    I went to a high school in Kentucky where only freshmen and sophomores were allowed on JV teams. Juniors and seniors were varsity only. There was no academic reason for me to stay an extra year. Would have been a complete waste. But if a couple of players in the class ahead of me had decided to repeat their senior years, I absolutely would have lost MY senior season to the bench. So the junior class kids either have to spend an extra year they didn't want to spend in high school or risk losing a good chunk of their senior years to "repeaters". Again, someone gets screwed no matter what.
    So you only earned your playing time because some seniors left? You couldn’t beat them out? Sorry about your luck friend, but that’s not getting screwed, that’s just getting beat out. Or are you telling me that if when you were a senior that if they had a junior that was better than you, he would have sat because you were a senior? That doesn’t sound very “fair” to him.

It about OPPORTUNITIES.....

The opportunities for a student that struggled with home based schooling to repeat the year with no stigma, and attend in-person classes.
    The opportunities for a student athlete to compete in front of college coaches and possibly win a scholarship.
    The opportunities for students that missed out on other extracurricular activities, that were completely cancelled, to participate in them.

I literally can’t see a downside to this....which is probably why it passed the State Senate 36-0 and the House 92-5.
    Academic reason are the only reason this makes any bit of sense whatsoever.

Any parent who let their kid repeat a year of high school bc they missed prom or senior skip day has a screw loose.

Also missing a year of your sport sucks (although didnt most sports play? They did in Ohio at least) but to repeat a whole year of school for some pipe dream of getting a scholarship to play sports in college is a little ridiculous. I know there is a small % of kids out there that probably missed out on showing enough for that scholarship, but that % is so miniscule. If you are really good enough the colleges would have seen you. If you arent or play a none revenue generating sport a lot of those you dont get much if any scholarship money anyway.

Again, I think its all a moot point anyway. The % of kids who do this is going to be incredibly small.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

So you only earned your playing time because some seniors left? You couldn’t beat them out? Sorry about your luck friend, but that’s not getting screwed, that’s just getting beat out.

Yeah, it's getting beat out by a guy a year older, which tends to happen in high school (particularly when you go to a school with 1300 boys). And I'm sure if there was a junior better than me my senior year he would have started over me. Yes, it would have been getting screwed for me, and it would be getting screwed for a lot of current juniors as well.

So you only earned your playing time because some seniors left? You couldn’t beat them out? Sorry about your luck friend, but that’s not getting screwed, that’s just getting beat out. Or are you telling me that if when you were a senior that if they had a junior that was better than you, he would have sat because you were a senior? That doesn’t sound very “fair” to him.
    Ok this is laughable. You can't try and argue in favor of this ridiculous new rule and then use phrases to someone else about another situation "sorry about your luck friend".

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I went to a high school, where given the requirements (like must take 4 years of english, science, math etc) wouldn't have allowed for any of what you speak of. So wouldnt have worked for me. But theres nothing wrong with it per se, I just think it doesnt make a whole lot of sense (see post above for my opinion). Again I dont think it will be a big deal bc I think almost no one will do it (unless they need to academically).
    They expect it to be 5-10% of the eligible students, so no it’s not a big deal.....yet. But what if it catches on in lots of other states?