Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Probable new law effecting HS seniors passes in KY

http://www.fortthomasmatters.com/202...EqH4K0o7dJ-wLw

The Ky House (92-5) and Senate(36-0) have passed a bill that will in essence give all Kentucky students a “re-do” of this past year, including being allowed to participate in all athletic activities (provided they don’t turn 19 before August 1, 2021).

While this law is only for Kentucky students I can see it becoming something other states will do to. The Ky law says that it will be left up to individual school districts and it will be voluntary not mandatory, but I think it will be popular with lots of kids who missed getting to play or struggled academically.

If this goes nationwide (which wouldn’t surprise me at all)...how does this potentially effect the recruiting for the next couple of years?

🤔.....interesting

Very few kids who were ever going to be good enough to play at a high D-I level are going to want to wait an extra year to go to college.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Very few kids who were ever going to be good enough to play at a high D-I level are going to want to wait an extra year to go to college.
    Agreed. And the ones not good enough don't typically want to spend another year in high school.

I mean maybe kids have changed but aren't most ecstatic to get out of their parents house and move on to college?
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

I don't get this.

I mean we all were / are impacted. Why do we feel the need to address the impact with certain sub-groups and not others.

Before this season started, the NCAA granted everyone an extra year of eligibility. Why did they do that? It's just gonna crowd the rosters and impact Freshmen. So in stead of senior feeling the impact we just pass it along to the Freshmen? What the hell kind of "fix" is that?

Look, I can see if a player opted out this year. Don't count it. Or, if the season didn't happen at all. Don't count it. But we had like an 85% season and we are headed into a 68 team NCAA tourney and will crown a champ. Why wouldn't this year count?

What are we trying to fix? We break more than we fix a lot of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I don't get this.

I mean we all were / are impacted. Why do we feel the need to address the impact with certain sub-groups and not others.

Before this season started, the NCAA granted everyone an extra year of eligibility. Why did they do that? It's just gonna crowd the rosters and impact Freshmen. So in stead of senior feeling the impact we just pass it along to the Freshmen? What the hell kind of "fix" is that?

Look, I can see if a player opted out this year. Don't count it. Or, if the season didn't happen at all. Don't count it. But we had like an 85% season and we are headed into a 68 team NCAA tourney and will crown a champ. Why wouldn't this year count?

I dont get the high school thing. What classes do they take? None? All electives? Just need to take one? There are no advanced high school degrees.

The college thing I think they did to avoid a mass amount of opt outs. We would have seen opt outs skyrocket imo if they didnt make that exception. They didnt want to see that and have it impact the attempt to have a season.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I don't get this.

I don’t think you’re getting that is is for HIGH SCHOOL students. Has no effect on any college students. What it does do is give someone in a KY High School the opportunity to actually play in front of coaches and be seen......if they come back for another year. It also gives all of the other students the opportunity to repeat this past year....for academic or athletic reasons...and then move on as they normally would do. There are thousands of high school athletes (beyond just basketball) that either didn’t get to compete, or if they did compete didn’t have the chance to impress college coaches and win a scholarship, because of COVID shutdowns.

Let’s do another scenario....say college A would love to give a kid a scholarship, but because of returning players or other reasons, they don’t have one open for next year. Perhaps they’ve already filled their quota. They can now tell that kid to STAY in HS, take AP courses (which may count for college credit in KY colleges), and come the following year. Like taking a year of Prep School, but without having to leave home or pay tuition to do so.

It may not effect the top 100 kids, but it sure as heck gives the rest of the kids an option they didn’t have before, and hopefully more opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I dont get the high school thing. What classes do they take? None? All electives? Just need to take one? There are no advanced high school degrees.

The college thing I think they did to avoid a mass amount of opt outs. We would have seen opt outs skyrocket imo if they didnt make that exception. They didnt want to see that and have it impact the attempt to have a season.
    What’s wrong with taking all electives? I had about a dozen extra credits before I graduated by taking electives in place of just taking study halls and gym class. I think my senior year I only had 2 required classes the rest were all electives. My daughter had 2-3 college credits by taking AP courses and then passing tests. My son did 1/2 school and co-opted his senior year, graduated HS and went right into the trade Union as an apprentice. 99% of the kids that played football in KY high schools last year played in front of only family, same with soccer, wrestling, basketball, swimming, etc. This law gives the kids that want to,the opportunity to come back, play on the team, get seen, and maybe win a scholarship. What’s wrong with that?

To MHettel's point, though, that still just screws over the class below (current juniors). Any effort to be "fair" is going to end up screwing someone.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    I don’t think you’re getting that is is for HIGH SCHOOL students. Has no effect on any college students. What it does do is give someone in a KY High School the opportunity to actually play in front of coaches and be seen......if they come back for another year. It also gives all of the other students the opportunity to repeat this past year....for academic or athletic reasons...and then move on as they normally would do. There are thousands of high school athletes (beyond just basketball) that either didn’t get to compete, or if they did compete didn’t have the chance to impress college coaches and win a scholarship, because of COVID shutdowns.

Let’s do another scenario....say college A would love to give a kid a scholarship, but because of returning players or other reasons, they don’t have one open for next year. Perhaps they’ve already filled their quota. They can now tell that kid to STAY in HS, take AP courses (which may count for college credit in KY colleges), and come the following year. Like taking a year of Prep School, but without having to leave home or pay tuition to do so.

It may not effect the top 100 kids, but it sure as heck gives the rest of the kids an option they didn’t have before, and hopefully more opportunities.
    I think he gets who you are talking about, he just was using the college scenario as another example.

I like the college exception, because guys can actually benefit in life from another year of school as well as getting to play the sport.

This makes zero sense for high school students. I'm not a life isn't fair, suck it up kind of guy, but unfortunately that attituded is needed in this scenario. There is just no reason you can give where this makes sense. I also think an extremely tiny % of any high school kids would take advantage of it. Unless there are academic issues or reasons and they struggled and can wipe out bad grades for new ones trying to get into college.

Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    To MHettel's point, though, that still just screws over the class below (current juniors). Any effort to be "fair" is going to end up screwing someone.
    How? They can repeat their junior year too..if they want to. Keep in mind that KY is a LOT different from many other states, population wise. To such a point that a 7th grader is eligible for Varsity. More often than not, the schools outside the major metro area (which are few) are playing junior HS students on varsity squads because of NEEDING them to fill out a roster. This law won’t restrict or hamper anyone’s opportunities, or will only enhance them.