Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Yeah, it's getting beat out by a guy a year older, which tends to happen in high school (particularly when you go to a school with 1300 boys). And I'm sure if there was a junior better than me my senior year he would have started over me. Yes, it would have been getting screwed for me, and it would be getting screwed for a lot of current juniors as well.
    Exactly, I went to an all boys high school as well with similar numbers and its incredibly hard to start in your sport as a junior.

My youngest brother is a sophomore at OSU. Didn't get to play much except special teams as a junior in football, but started as a senior. He got interest from several DII/DII schools, including one that was to a very prestigious academic school he would have otherwise not been able to get in to. If he lost his senior year to this, my parents would have laughed him all the way to OSU if he suggested staying in high school for another year for just getting to play his senior year in football, or to go to prom etc.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Ok this is laughable. You can't try and argue in favor of this ridiculous new rule and then use phrases to someone else about another situation "sorry about your luck friend".
    Sure I can..he was complaining that he would have sat on the bench his senior year if the seniors before him had come back. I ask.....is that any reason to deny THEM an opportunity to play in front of fans and coaches? Because it would effect YOUR playing time? That’s not getting screwed, and it’s not things being unfair if you can’t beat them out.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Sure I can..he was complaining that he would have sat on the bench his senior year if the seniors before him had come back. I ask.....is that any reason to deny THEM an opportunity to play in front of fans and coaches? Because it would effect YOUR playing time? That’s not getting screwed, and it’s not things being unfair if you can’t beat them out.
    YES! They're a year older! Our catcher went to Morehead State, our first baseman to Kentucky, our second baseman to Bellarmine, our SS to Louisville and our 3B to Indiana. Tough luck you couldn't beat them out when you were a year younger than them!

Now, we did have guys a class below me that broke into that lineup. One was Notre Dame's all time HR leader when he graduated and the other got drafted in the 5th round. Shame on me. Should have been as good as them.
    Last edited by GoMuskies; 03-17-2021 at 02:10 PM.

There is no better phrase than "sorry bout your luck friend" (obviously there are nicer more empathetic phrases) for the high school seniors who missed out on opportunities they would have otherwise had if not for COVID.

It sucks, you feel bad for them, but there is zero reason (outside of academic reasons) to grant any of them an extra year in high school.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

They expect it to be 5-10% of the eligible students, so no it’s not a big deal.....yet. But what if it catches on in lots of other states?
    Of which I would guess an overwhelming % is due to academic issues and not missing your senior year sport, or Prom.

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Exactly, I went to an all boys high school as well with similar numbers and its incredibly hard to start in your sport as a junior.

My youngest brother is a sophomore at OSU. Didn't get to play much except special teams as a junior in football, but started as a senior. He got interest from several DII/DII schools, including one that was to a very prestigious academic school he would have otherwise not been able to get in to. If he lost his senior year to this, my parents would have laughed him all the way to OSU if he suggested staying in high school for another year for just getting to play his senior year in football, or to go to prom etc.
    I went to Roger Bacon when they had 1200 young men there. I taught and coached at Moeller after graduating from X. In BOTH cases there were underclassmen starting, or at least earning playing time, on many of the teams...including Basketball and Football....even though there were freshman, JV, and Varsity squads in almost every sport. Sometimes that meant that seniors either didn’t play, or even didn’t make the team.

But you know something.....those types of schools are the exception, not the norm, in most areas of this country. Most schools are much smaller and have limited squads that are exclusive to freshman or other underclassmen....especially on the girls side of the equation.

I don’t think you’re getting that is is for HIGH SCHOOL students. Has no effect on any college students. What it does do is give someone in a KY High School the opportunity to actually play in front of coaches and be seen......if they come back for another year. It also gives all of the other students the opportunity to repeat this past year....for academic or athletic reasons...and then move on as they normally would do. There are thousands of high school athletes (beyond just basketball) that either didn’t get to compete, or if they did compete didn’t have the chance to impress college coaches and win a scholarship, because of COVID shutdowns.

Let’s do another scenario....say college A would love to give a kid a scholarship, but because of returning players or other reasons, they don’t have one open for next year. Perhaps they’ve already filled their quota. They can now tell that kid to STAY in HS, take AP courses (which may count for college credit in KY colleges), and come the following year. Like taking a year of Prep School, but without having to leave home or pay tuition to do so.

It may not effect the top 100 kids, but it sure as heck gives the rest of the kids an option they didn’t have before, and hopefully more opportunities.
    I get it entirely. If a senior graduated but didn't get to play their sport, do they just play the sport the next year as a non-student or do they enroll as a student while they already have a degree? Which of these options make LESS sense???

And also, kids can ALREADY redo a hear of school. it's called FLUNKING! I don't get it. Can you "keep" the classes you passed and then just act like the ones you failed didn't happen and then you get a redo?

Just dumb. Again, is this REALLY what our govt should be focused on? Everything else is running so well that we prioritize THIS?

I also think the whole not getting to play in front of coaches thing is totally overblown. You and your coach send tapes to schools. Most of the kids who this would impact would be kids who wouldnt be playing in front of coaches anyway. When my brother was recruited by lower level schools it was all bc of tape. Same with the most kids/sports.

Well at least I got us off of how much Steele sucks, for at least a little while.

Well at least I got us off of how much Steele sucks, for at least a little while.
    Cheers!