Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scruggs......

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boozehound View Post
    Not to nitpick, but was Scruggs ever really a deadly threat from 3pt range? I have always thought of him as a serviceable to good 3pt shooter when left open and given time, but not a significant threat from 3.
    Might be weird to say but actually a lot more excited about Johnson coming back than Scruggs. I think Scruggs coming back complicates the backcourt.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XUBANDGRAD View Post
    This is the mentality that has stripped us of players like Doellman, Duncan, Cage, Burrell, Jackson. Short term success vs. development of solid 4 year players that play as a team.
    Your mentality is to not try to be a really good team next year and instead try and be good 2 years from now? That literally makes no sense.

Doellman, Duncan Cage, Burrell, Jackson didn't all become good because they had no other talent their sophomore years and played all the minutes on a not good team. They gradually became what they became and flourished as upper classmen and especially seniors.

Johnson coming back (and hopefully Scruggs) does nothing to limit those players flourishing the same way as upper classmen.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Not to nitpick, but was Scruggs ever really a deadly threat from 3pt range? I have always thought of him as a serviceable to good 3pt shooter when left open and given time, but not a significant threat from 3.
    Early in the season he was good for 2-3 three pointers. Maybe the defense got stronger...

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    Might be weird to say but actually a lot more excited about Johnson coming back than Scruggs. I think Scruggs coming back complicates the backcourt.
    To be fair I have heard he might be but we don't even really know for sure if he is.

If he is though, you welcome him back for sure. Depth is a good thing (Steele needs to learn how to better use it though).

Imagine Scruggs not coming back and having one injury in our backcourt. We'd be super thin, super quick, especially if the injury was to Odom.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    To be fair I have heard he might be but we don't even really know for sure if he is.

If he is though, you welcome him back for sure. Depth is a good thing (Steele needs to learn how to better use it though).

Imagine Scruggs not coming back and having one injury in our backcourt. We'd be super thin, super quick, especially if the injury was to Odom.
    Oh I agree you bring him back, Steele has just shown that with too many options managing a lineup is difficult for him

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Nothing like jumping to conclusions with no inside information, ehhh?
    What conclusions do you think I was jumping to? Your ignorance astounds me.

Supporting Member
    CBB is changing before our eyes and that will accelerate if the free transfer rule passes as expected. One year forward is a lifetime. You maximize for the current/next year and worry about thereafter when it comes. And no coach from a decent program with expectations who has a bubble team will do differently, or possibly sacrifice a single victory, especially he is in what his detractors call a make-it-or-break-it-year.

Yeah, that kinda jumped out at me, too. Maybe in a relative way he looked better than the others?

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    If Scruggs is back, that means Odom or Wilcher time numbers will decrease. Scruggs used to be a deadly threat from 3 point land. His post moves are solid.
    If other BE teams have returners like X, wonÂ’t X suffer?
    We are hoping the other BE teams get worse while X gets better?
    WilcherÂ’s PT has nothing to do with Scruggs. Paul is a 1/2 and Witcher a 3/4. If anyone gets there minutes cut it would be Kunkel but he will play about the same as this year I would imagine, maybe a little more. You lose Tandy was getting some time. Odom hopefully will be the guy at the 1. Maybe Xavier plans to bulk Jones up and play him at the 4. Would be a very skilled lineup with Odom, Paul, Johnson, Jones and Free, with whatever big, Kunkel and Wilcher off the Bench plus whatever the freshman show. Good to have options.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    What conclusions do you think I was jumping to? Your ignorance astounds me.
    Read some of your stupid-ass posts over the past couple of days, dumbass!