Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I think Moser will leave Loyola. Will be tough to repeat what he has last few years. He is set to lose 5 seniors unless they all come back, which could happen I guess. He would be a legend if he could go to DePaul and turn them around. He could also go to Marquette I guess, but I don’t see him going far from Chicago. He’s a Chicago guy and staying close to family is really important to him from what I understand. Not sure what DePaul can pay, but I know Marquette can pay a lot.
    I have no idea on what he will do but Marquette is only 90 miles from Chicago.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Amazing a Coach can inspire his players to stick around for 4 years and develop into a cohesive unit. Oh....
    2023 Sweet 16

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I think Moser will leave Loyola. Will be tough to repeat what he has last few years. He is set to lose 5 seniors unless they all come back, which could happen I guess. He would be a legend if he could go to DePaul and turn them around. He could also go to Marquette I guess, but I don’t see him going far from Chicago. He’s a Chicago guy and staying close to family is really important to him from what I understand. Not sure what DePaul can pay, but I know Marquette can pay a lot.
    I don't know that Moser is a guy who only chases $$$. My understanding is that he comes from a very wealthy family that essentially built the suburb of Naperville. He is also of the age when DePaul was Chicago basketball and may covet the job. Heard he went to Ray Meyer Basketball Camp (so did I) as a kid.

Not sure what Leitao was making, but heard there was very little buy out to get rid of him and I bet he was probably making about half of the $2 mil Purnell made.

Junior
    My bet would be Moser ends up at Marquette.

On a side note, I don't really "get" the value drivers for coaches. I can list them easily enough: cash, more resources, higher level of recruits, increased competition.

But on the flip side: Moser can easily develop a program at Loyola (and already has) where he competes for the conference title every year, consistently coaches players for their entire college career, and make NCAA runs every so often. He isn't going to have a hot-seat at Loyola - maybe ever. And he's probably compensated at a level in which his family will never be wanting.

Loyola seems like a pretty plum gig for him. Is the potential increased glory worth the risk of flaming out at a new program?
    zip em up

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    Is the potential increased glory worth the risk of flaming out at a new program?
    There's probably about a 1,000 coaches that could give you a first hand answer to that.

Quote Originally Posted by BandAid View Post
    My bet would be Moser ends up at Marquette.

On a side note, I don't really "get" the value drivers for coaches. I can list them easily enough: cash, more resources, higher level of recruits, increased competition.

But on the flip side: Moser can easily develop a program at Loyola (and already has) where he competes for the conference title every year, consistently coaches players for their entire college career, and make NCAA runs every so often. He isn't going to have a hot-seat at Loyola - maybe ever. And he's probably compensated at a level in which his family will never be wanting.

Loyola seems like a pretty plum gig for him. Is the potential increased glory worth the risk of flaming out at a new program?
    Kinda like Xavier. Its takes a very special person to not chase the big job with the big dollars.

I honestly don't get why Mack left. Was making really good money and easily could have stayed and retired at X with more money than he or his children would ever need. I guess I just answered my own question...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post

I honestly don't get why Mack left.
    Are you married? If so, you should know why he left.

Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    Are you married? If so, you should know why he left.
    Ha, yeah my thoughts as well.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Ben Johnson just landed the head coaching gig at Minnesota. I guess Steele's staff isn't as brutal as some on this board think or other schools are even dumber than X!

Supporting Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Ben Johnson just landed the head coaching gig at Minnesota. I guess Steele's staff isn't as brutal as some on this board think or other schools are even dumber than X!
    I’m guessing it is more of the latter part of the second sentence considering Minnesota’s track record