Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The standard has to be the standard at X... period! We can’t be a program that allows some new excuse every season as to why a team is not meeting that standard. Maybe a coach in his first year is a legit exception - beyond that - no excuses.

Minimum expectations for an X team ALWAYS must be to

1) Win 20+ games each season (this season is obviously an acceptation)
    2) Win more than 50% of conference games
    3) Make it into the top 25
    3) Get at least to the semifinals in the BE tournament
    4) Get into the dance -this is a must
    5) Win at least one game in the tournament - this is very important so our players know the feeling

If a team and coaching staff can not meet these minimum expectations, then they are considered below the X standard. Period.

If they exceed those expectations by a little (25+ wins a season, 65% conference wins, get into top 15, get to championship game of BE Tourney, get to sweet sixteen or elite eight) then they are doing just fine as coaches and players.

Do even better (win 27+ games, 75%+ conference game wins, BE tournament champs and getting to a Final Four and beyond) and those X coaches and players become legends.
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IM4X View Post
    The standard has to be the standard at X... period! We can’t be a program that starts making excuses every season why a ream is not meeting that standard.

Minimum expectations for an X team ALWAYS must be to

1) Win 20+ games each season (this season is obviously an acceptation)
    2) Win more than 50% of conference games
    3) Make it into the top 25
    3) Get at least to the semifinals in the BE tournament
    4) Get into the dance
    5) Win at least one game in the tournament

If a team and coaching staff can not meet these minimum expectations, then they are considered below the X standard. Period.

If they exceed those expectations by a little (25+ wins a season, 65% conference wins, get into top 15, get to championship game of BE Tourney, get to sweet sixteen or elite eight) then they are doing just fine as coaches and players.

Do even better (win 27+ games, 80%+ conference game wins, BE tournament champs and getting to a Final Four and beyond) and those X coaches and players become legends.
    Some of those are kind of weird random minimum expections.

I think its pretty simple what they should be:

1. Make the tournament every year.
    2. Advance in the tournament more often than not.

I could give a shit if we make the semi finals of the BE tourney or not if we are making the tournament and advancing most years. Unfortunately there are going to be years we dont win a tourney game. I am ok with that as long as that isnt every year. I think we should make it pretty much every year and most years advance.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    Some of those are kind of weird random minimum expections.

I think its pretty simple what they should be:

1. Make the tournament every year.
    2. Advance in the tournament more often than not.

I could give a shit if we make the semi finals of the BE tourney or not if we are making the tournament and advancing most years. Unfortunately there are going to be years we dont win a tourney game. I am ok with that as long as that isnt every year. I think we should make it pretty much every year and most years advance.
    I’m guessing you’ve never been to MSG for a BE tournament. Here is why it matters to me and why it should matter to you (and all X fans).

The teams that are consistently the best in a conference typically make it to the tournament semifinals and beyond on a regular basis. How often does Nova get there. How often does DePaul get there. Winners have a mind set of winning and when they win- they keep winning. It gives the winning team tremendous confidence and positive momentum for the NCAA tournament - teams that typically do better in the BE tournament go further in the MCAA tournament- at least that is the case with X.

Another part of why winning games in the BE tournament matters is that it is is the Crown Jewel of all conference tournaments and everyone knows it. It’s simply the best damn tournament in the best damn venue in the country - I have attend it for over 20 years now and let me tell you when your team advances in the BE tournament at MSG - there is no other feeling like it for the team and those fans who attend. Plus, the teams that advance and get to the semi finals and beyond get more media coverage. More media exposure - Do you know how many top recruits would be interested in playing for a team that not only plays but is expected to advance in the BE tournament at MSG?

Your fewer, simple expectations are fine, but they are likely tied to some of my additional ones (e.g. winning 50% of conference games, win 20 games).

Not sure I’m getting whIch other parts you are finding weird but I’ll be happy to share my thinking about those expectations as well.
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-09-2021 at 11:32 AM.

Junior
    I’m guessing you’ve never been to MSG for a BE tournament. Here is why it matters to me and why it should matter to you (and all X fans).

The teams that are consistently the best in a conference typically make it to the tournament semifinals and beyond on a regular basis. How often does Nova get there. How often does DePaul get there. Winners have a mind set of winning and when they win- they keep winning. It gives the winning team tremendous confidence and positive momentum for the NCAA tournament - teams that typically do better in the BE tournament go further in the MCAA tournament- at least that is the case with X.

Another part of why winning games in the BE tournament matters is that it is is the Crown Jewel of all conference tournaments and everyone knows it. It’s simply the best damn tournament in the best damn venue in the country - I have attend it for over 20 years now and let me tell you when your team advances in the BE tournament at MSG - there is no other feeling like it for the team and those fans who attend. Plus, the teams that advance and get to the semi finals and beyond get more media coverage. More media exposure - Do you know how many top recruits would be interested in playing for a team that not only plays but is expected to advance in the BE tournament at MSG?

Your fewer, simple expectations are fine, but they are likely tied to some of my additional ones (e.g. winning 50% of conference games, win 20 games).

Not sure I’m getting whIch other parts you are finding weird but I’ll be happy to share my thinking about those expectations as well.
    How many NCAA tournament games have you attended, because winning in those venues is the ULTIMATE FEELING, not winning some conference money grab tournament. No one remembers who wins a conference tournament. The NCAA is be all and end all. And it should be expected of X every year.

I'm greedy: all of you are correct: winning in the BET and the NCAAT are important and valuable to the program.

The comments about the BET are spot on. Besides, if we run deep in the BET, chances are good that we're pretty good, and that such runs in New York will lead to bids in the NCAAT. This really shouldn't be about "either / or."

Ask UCONN if they believe deep runs in the BET can be good for a positive NCAAT outcome. They won a Natty that way.
    X A V I E R

SLU GRAD, XAVIER SUPERFAN D-West & PO-Z's Avatar

I have been to the Mecca many times but only for Knicks games, unfortunately not for a BE tourney yet.

I get the draw and appeal of the tourney and I would love to win in and go far consistently, but it shouldnt be a minimum requirement for any Xavier coach. My point is if we advance in the NCAA tourney I am not upset about not advancing in the BE tourney.
    "I知 willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I知 going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I知 going to play harder than I致e ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Junior
    I do agree that the buzz around MSG is something else for the BET. You can feel it in the arena, you can feel it walking around the bars- seeing groups of fans of other teams etc. I highly recommend going...I went and it was awesome. Minus the fact that X got upset early when they were one of the best teams in the conference. I can only imagine what following them 3 days and winning the tournament would feel like.

Big East tournament success isn't a requirement though. I would much prefer to be better throughout the regular season, in NCAA tournament. I guess the Big East tournament trumps the early season one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    How many NCAA tournament games have you attended, because winning in those venues is the ULTIMATE FEELING, not winning some conference money grab tournament. No one remembers who wins a conference tournament. The NCAA is be all and end all. And it should be expected of X every year.
    Trust me, I know the feeling of being there for big games in the NCAA tournament. I got to see X upset Georgetown and their twin towers back during the Gillen era to advance to the sweet sixteen. I was also in Atlanta to see the elite eight game against Duke where X likely would have reached it’s first final four if not for two bogus calls late in the game against Anthony Myles which sent him out of the game and allowed Duke to climb back into the lead and sneak away with a victory. Trust me- I know how special tournament games can be.

There is no argument from me about expectations for X get into the NCAA tournament and advance. That was part of my minimum expectations. Nothing is more important than getting in and consistently advancing in that tournament... and some day soon getting over the hump to that final four and beyond.

Please though -don’t anyone who has not been to the BE tournament suggest that the BE tournament is nothing special. It is quite special to advance there’s and win it- Only 3 teams from the new BE have won it: Nova, Seton Hall and Providence, but it is as an electric atmosphere there and there is a good chance someone new will likely win it this year. Before X was in the BE, the tournament was always a battle and you never knew who would win: Syracuse, Pitt, Georgetown, St. John’s, Villanova, West Virginia, UConn, Boston College, Seton Hall and Providence and Louisville all won it. I can tell you those fans and players all remember the feeling of winning the BE tournament. I know I would be ecstatic if we won it. Hoping we can all experience it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    Same as every year since Staak, NCAA bid. Then go from there.
    Prosser, Mack and Miller all missed the Tourney at least once at X,

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I have been to the Mecca many times but only for Knicks games, unfortunately not for a BE tourney yet.

I get the draw and appeal of the tourney and I would love to win in and go far consistently, but it shouldnt be a minimum requirement for any Xavier coach. My point is if we advance in the NCAA tourney I am not upset about not advancing in the BE tourney.
    I get your point and I agree that making the NCAA tournament makes not advancing in the BE tournament not feel so bad. I just feel that expecting to win games in the BE tournament (which is usually what we do anyway) also needs to be the norm... our standard... a tradition.

I’ve also seen the Knicks play when Patrick was their star player -as I lived in the city for over 15 years. I have to tell you is is not even close. The BE tournament is so much more thrilling the fans are so much more into to it and I think because it has been such a special event for so many years where all these amazing fans come together for this “win and advance” situation - it is so electric and just becomes like nothing else you’ve experienced- every Xavier fan must go and experience it! You will not be disappointed!
    Last edited by IM4X; 03-09-2021 at 01:34 PM.