Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-Conference
    Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Good God, stop with the lie about missing the tournament last year! Everyone did, and the majority of bracketologists had X in the tourney.
    Again, roughly half had X in the tourney prior to them losing the first game in the BET. No one updated brackets after that because everything was canceled. Also, no other top conferences even came close to finishing conference tournaments which would have also had an impact.

We weren't making it.

Supporting Member
    I’ve seen worse teams get hot and make final fours so I’ll say that. It would be improbable but nothing this year has made any sense so this might as well be the year Xavier breaks thru.

With that said, I think more realistically this team can win a game... just not consistent enough to go on a real run from what they have shown this year.

I said at the beginning of the year that if they just made the tourney, that would be a success and be extremely good for the very talented underclass men to gain some tourney experience

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post
    Again, roughly half had X in the tourney prior to them losing the first game in the BET. No one updated brackets after that because everything was canceled. Also, no other top conferences even came close to finishing conference tournaments which would have also had an impact.

We weren't making it.
    Fair point on the other conferences not playing, but according to the Cincy Enq article from March 13, the Bracket Matrix survey of final brackets was taken after the BE tourney. In other words, 52% of the brackets still included XU in the tourney at that point. To say that X was categorically out of the running for the tourney is not correct. I remember hearing several analysts saying that they believed X would've been in even if they lost to DePaul - depending on the number of upsets in other conf tourneys.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...nt/5042653002/

http://bracketmatrix.com/matrix_2020.html

Quote Originally Posted by drudy23 View Post

We weren't making it.
    I think I recall on the D&V podcast Mario mentioned that the spreadsheet they've used internally over the years to guide scheduling for getting a bid, seeding, etc. had them in so he felt confident. Definitely would have been close. Obviously doesn't matter and the end of last season on the court sucked either way.
    Last edited by AviatorX; 02-22-2021 at 04:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xville View Post
    I’ve seen worse teams get hot and make final fours so I’ll say that. It would be improbable but nothing this year has made any sense so this might as well be the year Xavier breaks thru.

With that said, I think more realistically this team can win a game... just not consistent enough to go on a real run from what they have shown this year.

I said at the beginning of the year that if they just made the tourney, that would be a success and be extremely good for the very talented underclass men to gain some tourney experience
    Giving the underclassmen NCAA tourney experience is a very good point. One that really hadn’t occurred to me. I was considering only what experience they might get in the last 4-5 games of the regular season and BE tourney.

Not very far. Max for me is round of 32.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedXblue View Post
    Not very far. Max for me is round of 32.
    Depends on how much Steele grows as a coach by the end of the season. This team could be anywhere from a sweet 16 sleeper to not making the tournament at all with the players we have. Just depends on how Steele develops as a head coach and put the players and team in a position to win.

Quote Originally Posted by xuphan View Post
    Depends on how much Steele grows as a coach by the end of the season. This team could be anywhere from a sweet 16 sleeper to not making the tournament at all with the players we have. Just depends on how Steele develops as a head coach and put the players and team in a position to win.
    Can’t see him changing much in just a few weeks. Isn’t like we are talking about a couple of months down the road. Only 4 regular season games left and 1-3 BE tourney games. 3-4 weeks max before NCAA tourney starts. He’s pretty much what he is at this point, and remember this will be HIS first time going to the tourney as a head coach too.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    Can’t see him changing much in just a few weeks. Isn’t like we are talking about a couple of months down the road. Only 4 regular season games left and 1-3 BE tourney games. 3-4 weeks max before NCAA tourney starts. He’s pretty much what he is at this point, and remember this will be HIS first time going to the tourney as a head coach too.
    You are probably right but part of me still hope he will learn from his mistakes and improve his coaching as a result of it.

So what I’m hearing last year was a crap shoot to make the tournament? With this said, can’t say for certain we missed tournament the last two years. Facts maybe?