Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Big East Tourney

First will there be one? And second, if there is, why not allow all the teams to play 3 or 4 games. Set it up like a holiday tournament. Give everybody a chance to make up the games they lost due to Covid.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Yeah, since you've made the trip...make the most of it. Could work out nicely by simply having a losers bracket. Excellent idea.....hello Val?
    President of the Eddie Johnson Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    I know time would be an issue, but maybe get in the bubble, play the last week of games, squeeze in some make-ups and/or play a double elimination tournament.
    That's what I've been saying. Seems like a no-brainer.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Does anyone know what the BE tournament format will be this year? In years past, top 6 got a first round bye. Since we added UConn, I’m having a tough time doing the math. Assuming top 5 getting a bye with 6 playing in first round.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    Does anyone know what the BE tournament format will be this year? In years past, top 6 got a first round bye. Since we added UConn, I’m having a tough time doing the math. Assuming top 5 getting a bye with 6 playing in first round.
    That's correct. Easy formula for figuring that out. Take the number of teams you have (11 in our case) (we'll assign that the variable X). Find the next number above X for which you could have a tournament where you would have a "full" first round where all teams would participate in the first round (call that Y, and in this case it is 16). Y - X = the number of teams that get byes. So in this case 16-11 = 5 getting byes with 6 playing in the first round. So if you had a 23 team tournament, it would be 32-23 = 9 with byes and 14 playing in the first round, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by UCGRAD4X View Post
    That's what I've been saying. Seems like a no-brainer.
    ummm. not so sure I see it that way.

I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have a little more basketball to watch. But lets look at some matchups that could occur in this so-called losers bracket.

Team A is not an NCAA Tourney Team and is Playing B, who is also not a Tourney Team- What would be the appeal of this game? It has no NCAA TOurney implications, and isn't exactly compelling viewing....

Team A IS an NCAA Tourney Team and Plays B, who is not- why risk a potentially bubble bursting loss for Team A? And why risk the covid exposure that could cause Team A to miss the Big Dance?

2 Bubble teams playing each other- Probably ensures one makes it an not the other. Also probably ensures that both WONT make it whereas if this game is NOT played, then at least there is the chance that both make it.

So, really this is a "brainer" decision. to not do that,.

All-Conference
    There's no reason to schedule any extra games after/during the BET.

Quote Originally Posted by noteggs View Post
    All systems go.....Big East just released the official tournament bracket.

https://www.bigeast.com/documents/20...nt_Bracket.pdf

Goal would be to somehow snag 2 more wins and play in that 4/5 game on day 2.
    Last edited by Xuperman; 02-27-2021 at 08:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    ummm. not so sure I see it that way.

I mean, yeah, it would be nice to have a little more basketball to watch. But lets look at some matchups that could occur in this so-called losers bracket.

Team A is not an NCAA Tourney Team and is Playing B, who is also not a Tourney Team- What would be the appeal of this game? It has no NCAA TOurney implications, and isn't exactly compelling viewing....

Team A IS an NCAA Tourney Team and Plays B, who is not- why risk a potentially bubble bursting loss for Team A? And why risk the covid exposure that could cause Team A to miss the Big Dance?

2 Bubble teams playing each other- Probably ensures one makes it an not the other. Also probably ensures that both WONT make it whereas if this game is NOT played, then at least there is the chance that both make it.

So, really this is a "brainer" decision. to not do that,.
    Hey! Don't piss on my brain, man!
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Butler taking out Nova makes things interesting. I'll be rooting for Creighton to win out and get the top seed in MSG.