Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Expectations......

We all WANT X to win championships, be a national power, and be considered one of the elite programs in college basketball. We all WANT that. But is it REALISTIC to EXPECT it, given the current status of the school and the realities of college basketball financing?

Here are some BE rankings to consider:

Marq (8)
    Nova (10)
    GTown (12)
    Prov (20)
    SJU (10)
    UConn (41)
    Creighton (51)
    SHall (68)
    X (73)
    DePaul (80)
    Butler (90)

(the number on the parentheses is the national rank)

and

UConn
    Depaul
    SJU
    Marq
    Shall
    Creighton
    Gtown
    Nova
    X
    Butler
    Prov.

Anyone care to guess what these rankings are based on? and I hope that y'all will see that X ranks 9th in both item.

( my next post will give you what they are and what the actual numbers are)
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 02-18-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Mine are great but I still find Pip annoying.

OK then for those that are interested, here's what they are and what the numbers are...

BE Basketball Budgets ( in millions of dollars)

Marquette 14.9
    Nova 14.4
    GTown 13.5
    Prov 11.1
    SJU 10.0
    Uconn 9.3
    Crei 8.6
    SHall 7.4
    X 7.3
    Dpaul 6.8
    Butler 5.7

Size of school enrollment

Uconn 31,000
    Depaul 25,000
    SJU 19,000
    Marq 12,000
    SHall 9,800
    Creig 8,200
    Gtown 6.800
    Nova 6,400
    X 4,500
    Butler 4,200
    Prov 3,900

one last ranking.......Dollars spent on BB per student

Prov 2,846
    Nova 2,250
    Gtown 1,985
    X 1,644
    Butler 1,357
    Marq 1,242
    Crei 1,049
    SH 765
    SJU 526
    UConn 300
    DePaul 272

NOW THEN

I'll let you ponder these numbers and try to figure out what they all mean, maybe nothing at all. But my feeling is that many here need to remember (or maybe just don't know it) that Xavier is a small university that doesn't have near the budget of most of the schools it is trying to compete with and beat on a regular basis, just in the BE. It's annual budget ranks just barely in the top 75 in the whole country. The top 10 nationally look like a who's who of the bluebloods ........Duke, KY, UofL, Florida State, Alabama, TCU (huh?), UCLA, Marquette, Syracuse, Nova. (Looking at that, if I was a part of the Marquette administration I'd be wondering what is going on?)

In conclusion I want to point out that there are ASPERIATIONS, and then there are EXPECTATIONS. Don't let them get confused, and don't let your expectations get beyond the other. I would hope that Xavier always aspires to greatness. However, I think it is a legitimate question to wonder if some expectations are now based upon earlier overachievement on the part of the university and its BB program? Overachievement when based upon the dollars spent in relation to what others spend, that is. Xavier ranks 9th in size, and ranks 9th in budget...but we want them to be #1 in the BB Standings. Should that be an asperation or an expectation?

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post
    OK then for those that are interested, here's what they are and what the numbers are...

BE Basketball Budgets ( in millions of dollars)

Marquette 14.9
    Nova 14.4
    GTown 13.5
    Prov 11.1
    SJU 10.0
    Uconn 9.3
    Crei 8.6
    SHall 7.4
    X 7.3
    Dpaul 6.8
    Butler 5.7

Size of school enrollment

Uconn 31,000
    Depaul 25,000
    SJU 19,000
    Marq 12,000
    SHall 9,800
    Creig 8,200
    Gtown 6.800
    Nova 6,400
    X 4,500
    Butler 4,200
    Prov 3,900

one last ranking.......Dollars spent on BB per student

Prov 2,846
    Nova 2,250
    Gtown 1,985
    X 1,644
    Butler 1,357
    Marq 1,242
    Crei 1,049
    SH 765
    SJU 526
    UConn 300
    DePaul 272

NOW THEN

I'll let you ponder these numbers and try to figure out what they all mean, maybe nothing at all. But my feeling is that many here need to remember (or maybe just don't know it) that Xavier is a small university that doesn't have near the budget of most of the schools it is trying to compete with and beat on a regular basis, just in the BE. It's annual budget ranks just barely in the top 75 in the whole country. The top 10 nationally look like a who's who of the bluebloods ........Duke, KY, UofL, Florida State, Alabama, TCU (huh?), UCLA, Marquette, Syracuse, Nova. (Looking at that, if I was a part of the Marquette administration I'd be wondering what is going on?)

In conclusion I want to point out that there are ASPERIATIONS, and then there are EXPECTATIONS. Don't let them get confused, and don't let your expectations get beyond the other. I would hope that Xavier always aspires to greatness. However, I think it is a legitimate question to wonder if some expectations are now based upon earlier overachievement on the part of the university and its BB program? Overachievement when based upon the dollars spent in relation to what others spend, that is. Xavier ranks 9th in size, and ranks 9th in budget...but we want them to be #1 in the BB Standings. Should that be an asperation or an expectation?
    Aren’t there private trusts setup for the coach’s at X? Are those $’s included?

Did the investment in basketball decrease in the last 3 years? If not, then who cares about these numbers? Xavier right now is clearly under performing its own expectations. There's no outside comparison really needed to drive that home.

These are the numbers reported by the schools. Have to figure that if they have such a program at X, they have it at other schools. If you start worrying about that though, then you have to start dissecting how much of the budget goes into what category....salaries, recruiting, travel, scholarships (obviously tuition/room and board is not equal in every school), player and family compensation (at least for some schools that really matters. :) ), arena rental. In addition, does every school figure and report their budgets the same? Probably not. Statistics are never cut and dry. Figures lie and liars figure is an old saying that has some validity.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    Did the investment in basketball decrease in the last 3 years? If not, then who cares about these numbers? Xavier right now is clearly under performing its own expectations. There's no outside comparison really needed to drive that home.
    exactly my perspective as well

Junior
    My expectation for Xavier basketball is to make the tournament every year and most years be a top 4 team in the Big East. I think the tournament is a little more unpredictable- but if X is typically a top 3 or 4 team in the Big East the tournament runs will come.

Quote Originally Posted by AviatorX View Post
    OR...was X overachieving during that period based on their budget in comparison to others?

Explain to me WHY a BE championship and #1 seed in the NCAA tournament should be an “expectation”? Is it because it has happened ONE TIME in the 100 year history of the X program that it NOW becomes the expectation? Would it now then be the expectation at Butler that they go to the NC game every year, because they did it 2 years in a row? As they say in financial circles.....”past performance is no guarantee of future success and investments carry some risk”.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
    My expectation for Xavier basketball is to make the tournament every year and most years be a top 4 team in the Big East. I think the tournament is a little more unpredictable- but if X is typically a top 3 or 4 team in the Big East the tournament runs will come.
    What are those expectations based upon?