Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASun

ASun

Hadn’t seen anyone mention this yet, but Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, and Central Arkansas will be moving to the Atlantic Sun next year. That would be a big “so what?” in most circumstances, but Part II of the news is that the conference plans on adding football and reclassifying to the FBS level. So the schools with football will be Liberty, Jax State, Eastern Kentucky, Central Arkansas, North Alabama, and Kennesaw State. I wonder if UMass and UConn will be invited to join as football only members to get it to at least eight football teams.
    "You can't fix stupid." Ron White

Junior
    Does Bellermaine have football or are they planning to add? Just wondering since they just made the jump from DII.
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by KabeX View Post
    Does Bellermaine have football or are they planning to add? Just wondering since they just made the jump from DII.
    They do not, and as far as I know they have no plans to. I also don’t think they have plans to stay in the ASun once they’re done with the transition either.

Bellarmine could probably just take all the leftovers from St. X, Trinity and Male, play their home games at Manual Stadium and compete pretty well in that ASun.

Eastern Kentucky leaving the OVC is really something.

Junior
    I went to EKU Freshman year. That was back in the 80s when they were a dominant I-AA team. It was fun (yes prob too much fun). Hard to fathom them anywhere but the OVC. CJ Flemming (La Salle) was our neighbor for a number of years. Not sure if he starts for Bellarmaine but he plays a lot. Great kid. Glad he got a shot to play DI.
    Xavier is THE University of Cincinnati

So next year, the WAC and ASun are combining to form a temporary hybrid conference that will have an auto-bid to the FCS playoffs.

Abilene Christian, Lamar, Sam Houston State, SFA, Central Arkansas, Eastern Kentucky, and Jax State.

They needed a minimum of six. They have six.

The WAC plans to restart football at the FCS level, whereas the A-Sun intends to start football from scratch and go up to the FBS level. Apparently UConn has no interest in joining as a football only member. GEEZ!!! Who could have ever imagined they wouldn't be interested!!??

That may not seem to matter that much, but it could matter a little bit that the 1AAA classification of conferences is shrinking yet again, which could mean a little less power when it comes to NCAA legislation and what not.

I believe that leaves us with just eight conferences that don't play football of any kind at any level and are totally basketball centric...

Big East, Horizon League, Summit League, Atlantic Ten, America East, Big West, Missouri Valley (The Missouri Valley Football Conference is NOT the Missouri Valley. It's a football only league with the same name), and West Coast.

That may not seem like that big of a deal, but it could be a little important to note that the so-called 1AAA conferences are now down to just eight. That could mean a little less power when it comes to dealing with future NCAA Legislation and what not.
    Last edited by xubrew; 02-23-2021 at 09:46 AM.

I must say, I have no idea what FCS or FBS mean. Was it that confusing to just use D1A and D1AA and D2 etc to describe the different levels? What was the purpose of changing it?

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I must say, I have no idea what FCS or FBS mean. Was it that confusing to just use D1A and D1AA and D2 etc to describe the different levels? What was the purpose of changing it?
    It was changed to reinforce something that no one other than the NCAA really cares about.

There is no NCAA championship for FBS (1A). There is no NCAA trophy. There is no NCAA revenue or resources used for any part of the postseason. It's all technically "mythical." They do their own thing. The Football Championship Series (FCS/1AA) is an NCAA Championship event that falls under the same guidelines and governance as any other NCAA Championship.

The ASun is looking like they will have 16 or even 17 full members next year. In addition to the 9 they have now they have added Eastern Kentucky, Jacksonville State, Central Arkansas, and Austin Peay, all of whom play football. They are also reaching out to D2 schools in West Georgia, Valdosta State, Lincoln Memorial, and Queens. Two of those schools play football and two do not. It would take them four years to transition and become full D1 members, but if any of them decide to do it, they could start next year.

So, you're 11th FBS conference could look like this...

Liberty, EKU, Austin Peay, Jacksonville State, Central Arkansas, West Georgia, Valdosta State, North Alabama, and Kennesaw State.

ASun should stand for...

Anyone can
    Sign
    Up
    Now!!!

Is there really enough money in Atlantic Sun Football to warrant the spending required by each of these programs to "compete" on the FBS level?
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook