Page 1 of 153 1231151101 ... LastLast

Travis Discussion

3.2.1... somebody take down this thread! You know the team and recruits read this?! Blah blah blah. The man simply can’t coach. Cut your ties and bring in Kelsey.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Is this a joke?

All-Conference
    Coaching threads always seem to come back to Kelsey - it's like a rule.

And how can he not be on the hot seat if we end up not making the tournament? 3 years in a row is unprecedented in modern Xavier history.

This team also has less room for error because they've played less games. The benefit of the doubt will start to evaporate if we start losing multiple games in a row. The Big East is a beast - there aren't any easy wins left.

Sophomore
    Good grief, I hope you guys aren't serious.... Banners has the right take on this:

"To clarify: this isn't on Steele. Xavier had 20 days off, practiced twice, played Butler, had two more weeks off, practiced once, played UConn. Any take that focuses on anything other than that is a bad one. It's ludicrous to expect more than you got today."

https://twitter.com/BannersParkway/s...69000657690626

I agree with the time off and UConn is too good to
    Lose 4/5. However, Nova was off for 19 days and hasn’t lost a beat. Now Nova is way better then Xavier but my problem is Xaviers defense seems to taken a huge step back. This loss doesn’t concern me. Six games left and hopefully they can make up a few more. UConn was the better team today and had the better coach.
    If I was going to school for school, I wouldn’t have picked the University of Cincinnati. Dontonio Wingfield

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post
    Good grief, I hope you guys aren't serious.... Banners has the right take on this:

"To clarify: this isn't on Steele. Xavier had 20 days off, practiced twice, played Butler, had two more weeks off, practiced once, played UConn. Any take that focuses on anything other than that is a bad one. It's ludicrous to expect more than you got today."

Banners got this one wrong. It is very much on the coach. X was kicking UConn’s a$$ until Steele made several critical mistakes completely changing the momentum of the game and allowing subs to stay in while UConn went to town on them.

Steele not owning any of this is what is ludicrous. Not recognizing or at least not admitting to ways where he hurt his team is what gets people wondering if he is the right coach.

Personally, I think Steele is a classy guy who does a lot of things well, but he still has glaring blind spots that someone need to make him aware of. Apparently no one in the media wants to ask the questions that might help him become more aware of (and let him know others are aware of) those coaching blind spots.
    Last edited by IM4X; 02-13-2021 at 04:13 PM.

Junior
    I didn’t like the hire in the first place. I’ve questioned him the past two years. I like the recruiting, especially players like Jones. The team has some strong shooters and guard play as a whole. Unfortunately, Zach is the only real Big for the future. I despise his coach speak, it seems so fake and reminds me of Mick
    Some poor in game adjustments, too.

Still, Xavier sits at 11-3 with a win over a top 15 team. Unless things go extremely South they will be in the tournament comfortably. I have a lot of doubts but I do think I’ve seen improvement from last year. I really like the guards and shooters he is bringing in, I can start to see more of where he wants the team to be. He has been better at mixing in zones, the offense has more movement than last two seasons as well. Also starting to see some good play designs to get some shots off. Certainly a long way to go but I think I’ve seen coaching improvements. I’m willing to see how the rest of the year plays out. A win or two in the tournament wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

Xavier beat Marquette after the first layoff and Buttheads after the second. I'm not sure how much of an excuse that is.

I think the "coach speak" comes from not having answers that make sense. Not having and understanding of why we win - and how to keep that going, and why we lose and how to change what went wrong. When you have no clue to what went wrong and deny your own part in that, all you have to offer is diatribes of cliches and denial.
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

There also seem to be many posters who seem to be hanging their proverbial hat on comfortably a 7 - 10 seed and we are 10-3. I have two things to say about that. 2 home losses, one to bottom tier team, is not going to get us there. With so few games played and a gauntlet ahead, the record is likely to look a whole lot different if things don't improve quickly.

Is a 7 - 10 seed our goal (and it might be realistic at this point) but to dismiss losses because we are "still in", sounds like settling and does not get us to a level of excellence and a better position to final fours. I am not saying this team is capable of that, but they need to win games like today's to even dream of a sniff.

It's not really that I disagree with the reality of the situation. It is discouraging that this is what it has come to.

I expect excellence. I want them to challenge for and win this conference more often than not, and I guess I will just be a miserable old bastard until they achieve that level with some consistency. Yes, I see incremental signs of improvement, but too slow and too inconsistent and sporadic - so I may be an even more miserable and older bastard in the years to come, unless there are significant changes. That starts at the top.

#steelegottago

#sadtobeme
    I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I drink 2XS.

Quote Originally Posted by XU_Lou View Post

To some, practice and playing games is irrelevant to a team being able to play well. “Just get out there and play.”