Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoMuskies View Post
    That's fair, and there are plenty of great ND fans. The NBC contract has just made it worse, because from the broadcasts you'd think you were watching church. For every team that goes in and wins in South Bend they act like it's the biggest win in the history of their program.
    I wish they’d get rid of the contract. ND would still be on every weekend but the games wouldn’t take 5 hours.

I agree with the premise of the article, I think Stallings was the reason for Pitt's demise the most, he was truly a headless chicken, and Jaime Dixon had that program doing very well with guys like Dejuan Blair, and this is coming from someone who absolutely hates Pitt. I think Capel has the potential to get Pitt into a competitive program since he's a damn good recruiter, granted the recruiting success at Duke was being K's bag man according to rumors lol. I think Notre Dame is an interesting thought, they have a lot of flexibility in football with whatever deal they set up with the ACC, it does bring a culture and following along with it, they're on a slump but realistically it's foolish to think they wouldn't bring more money to the conference.

I think the round-robin schedule is great and don't want it to change, and I understand the concerns of scheduling, but we're not going to be locked into the Skip Prossor, Gavit Games, etc. every single year, so we'll still have some flexibility down the road in the future, however I think the current set-up overall is better getting a chance at each team twice. I also think the recruiting thing is a bit overstated, I'm not 100% sure if in the social media age, and climate of college hoops if recruits care if you're touching every single place on the schedule or are near home/coast, because recruits now have highlights, information, etc. of programs at the tip of their fingertips along with vice-versa.

I don't want ND for the simple reason I like the double RR.
    I'd feel the same way about adding anyone.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Junior
    Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    I don't want ND for the simple reason I like the double RR.
    I'd feel the same way about adding anyone.
    I like the round robin also, but I would give that up for only ND. No Dayton, or St Louis, and logistically Gonzaga is never going to happen. ND brings cache, and eyeballs which translates into network cash.

Quote Originally Posted by JTG View Post
    I like the round robin also, but I would give that up for only ND. No Dayton, or St Louis, and logistically Gonzaga is never going to happen. ND brings cache, and eyeballs which translates into network cash.
    Spot on.
    X A V I E R

ND also brings a perfectly drivable road game into the conference. Though I do like the RR.
    "He's a little bit ball-dominant, he needs to have the ball in his hands, and he's not a good shooter." Ball-dominant … isn't that a nice way of calling someone a ball hog? Where is my Jay Bilas Thesaurus?

Follow XH on Twitter

Follow XH on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    ND also brings a perfectly drivable road game into the conference. Though I do like the RR.
    An ND football game, Xavier hoops combo would be an amazing weekend.

Edit: I realize this wouldn’t happen as the hoops conf schedule wouldn’t start until after football season. But it’d be a lot cooler if it did...
    Last edited by Strange Brew; 02-12-2021 at 10:31 AM.

Wouldn't a lot of it come down to $ in a discussion between Fox and BE powers?
    Many (especially Catholic) alumni from other schools, follow ND football. Their schools may not have football (like ours) so you get a lot of ND fans who want to follow football somewhere. Some choose their local favorites, others (like many here) support ND football while supporting XU basketball.

They can probably look at ND basketball eyeballs and figure out how many that may or may not add to the BE eyeballs on Fox and FS1.
    Then it might be presented to the BE with a possible increase in annual contract payouts.

Still hate to lose the RR.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    I keep hearing that. Always. And the reality is that maybe the round robin approach has to go by the wayside in the interest of some broader goals. I'm in favor of BE expansion. Always have been. I want to figure out a way to add Gonzaga, but that is just too much damn distance to cover. You'd have to get to 16 or 18 teams to pull that off, and then for sure have 2 divisions or maybe even 3.

Options:
    Add ND only, and have unbalanced schedules. (18 games, so add 2 non-con)
    Add ND and create 2 6 team divisions. Play 16 games (2x division rivals, 1x other divisions). Pick up 4 NON-Con games.
    Add ND + 2 others (UD and SLU). Play 19 games (2X division rivals, 1 x other divisions). pick up 1 non-con games.

Don't overlook the impact of non-con games on SOS. YOU HAVE to play non-con games, and ideally you WIN those.

If we played ONLY conference games, using a round robin format the total W/L % for your opponents and opponents/opponents would be right around .500 for each team, and would be EXACTLY .500 for the conference. That would stack up poorly when comparing to other conferences.

I would add 3 teams, reduce the number of conference games, and encourage teams to schedule their non-con slate to enter conference play with a combined 75% winning %. SOS will skyrocket. Also, you do need some separation in the standings. You need 4-5 teams at the top, 4-5 clearly in the middle, and then 4-5 punching bags.
    Seriously, what in THE SAM HELL is wrong with you?

All those options you listed are terrible and make no gawd damn sense. Get rid of the round robin, that everybody loves?? Cut the pie 16-18 ways? Split into 3 divisions? You want us to make LESS money off our basketball program? If we want to play 4-5 punching bags each season in conference, we should have stayed in the A-10.

Why water down a good thing like that? Have you fried your brain with hard drugs?

What a heaping, steaming, high stacked pile of bullshit nonsense. You are better than this MHETTEL.
    "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz and I'm fine.--Jeff Spicoli"

Junior
    No UD, and no SLU, and quit suggesting it. The 5 or 6 people on here in favor of UD, get in your car and drive the hell up to Dayton and watch a game. Don't fu#k up our TV demographic and recruiting etc., by allowing a program 50 miles away in the conference. Just stop it.