Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Game Thread: Xavier vs. Butler (1/30/2021)

VS.

THE MATCHUP

XAVIER UNIVERSITY MUSKETEERS (10-2, 3-2 BIG EAST)
    BUTLER UNIVERSITY BULLDOGS (5-8, 4-6 BIG EAST)
    SATURDAY, JAN. 30, 2021 AT 5:30 P.M. ET
    HINKLE FIELDHOUSE IN INDIANAPOLIS, IND.

TV, RADIO & LIVE STATS

Television: FS1 with play-by-play from Alex Faust and analysis from Casey Jacobsen.
    Radio: 700 WLW-AM with play-by-play from XU Hall of Famer and former XU standout Joe Sunderman ('79) and analysis from XU Hall of Famer and all-time leading scorer Byron Larkin ('88). Broadcast also available on Sirius XM channel 386 and internet channel 976.
    Live Stats: Media stats at Statbroadcast.com and fan stats at GoXavier.com.
    ...he went up late, and I was already up there.

I hope I haven't just jinxed this game.
    Also, to say Joe Sunderman is both a member of the XU HOF, and a former XU standout...seems a little redundant.
    Unless we have people in the HOF who weren't standouts?

Just awesome to see this thread!

So is Jones a go? They were saying on Butler Hoops he was out due to Covid protocols. I haven't read it anywhere else.

Sophomore
    Quote Originally Posted by mid major View Post
    So is Jones a go? They were saying on Butler Hoops he was out due to Covid protocols. I haven't read it anywhere else.
    My reliable inside source tells me he has been seen in the cafeteria with the normal student population. Hopefully that means he can play.

Quote Originally Posted by mid major View Post
    I do not think he will play but he made the trip. Pretty sure he was the one who tested positive. I know itís been awhile and I am sure he is covid free, but there are protocols that he has to complete and I do not think that has all been done. Most likely misses this one and then will be back next game.

Quote Originally Posted by xavierj View Post
    I do not think he will play but he made the trip. Pretty sure he was the one who tested positive. I know it’s been awhile and I am sure he is covid free, but there are protocols that he has to complete and I do not think that has all been done. Most likely misses this one and then will be back next game.
    Let us hope the “next game” isn’t another 3 weeks down the road. I’m glad we got a lot of games in early on the front end. This just FEELS crazy!

What sort of protocol would allow for someone who tested positive to go on a team bus to Indy?

Quote Originally Posted by paulxu View Post
    What sort of protocol would allow for someone who tested positive to go on a team bus to Indy?
    He is free of symptoms and negative on test. Similar to when Odom was covid free but not cleared. Think testing of the heart and getting all of those results. I think there is a number of days, maybe 21 from test or symptoms to test the heart function with some programs. So he doesnít have covid but not yet medically cleared to play. I think each college program uses different protocols. I know my son was well clear of you covid but they wouldnít even let him return to practice until the heart test gave the all clear.

xavierj summarizes this well... for those curious what types of steps are used for an athlete to return to sports, here are some resources used.

Cardiac considerations for college student athletes

Guidance for health professionals, athletic programs, coaches, parents, and athletes and click the tab that says “BJSM Infographic Graduated Return to Play”

As you can see the timeline to return to competition varies based on severity of illness and if there was any evidence of cardiac involvement. For the student athletes I am involved with we utilize a 17 day minimum timeline for all covid positive athletes to err on the side of caution. Mostly because some athletes have downplayed symptoms to try and return to play sooner.