Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Supporting Member D-West & PO-Z's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by XU '11 View Post
    I generally agree with this premise. It’s why I was so surprised when Saban was interviewed on the CFP selection show and was the only one of the four coaches saying he was allowing his players to travel home for Christmas. Mental health matters. Coaches who lock their players in their dorm rooms for 5 months are going to have miserable human beings on their teams and probably won’t win games. It’s a delicate balance.
    Yeah agree. I think it was a calculated risk to let their teams travel home for holidays but one that was the right decision. Came with risks but good for the players.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by D-West & PO-Z View Post
    I would think college coaches usually are pretty restrictive of players free time in normal circumstances and are even more so now. You think Nick Saban feels like he can't control his players free time, especially as it relates to doing so during a pandemic?

I agree though its inevitable for these teams, who are traveling, going to class, playing basketball against other teams, etc, to avoid getting COVID.
    https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/f...e-Document.pdf

I’d suggest you read this pdf. In essence, when X is home for a week the player-coaches interaction is limited to no more than 4 hours per day/20 hours per week. So they basically are going to give players off at least 1 day per week, if they aren’t traveling to an away game. A lot times that’s on a Sunday, following a Saturday game. This means completely off....no film study, not special one one one practice, nothing. The coaches can’t even follow the players around to are sure they don’t leave their dorms or campus. Now the coaches may tell the athletes they don’t want them to go somewhere, but the best they can really do is punish them if they are late for practice, or skip school, or skip a scheduled study period. Believe me, that happens. Most coaches don’t have a lot of rules in this regard because they realize that if they do, word will get around and they are only cutting their own throats when it comes to recruiting. They give them guidelines for sure, they tell what they would like for them to do. They tell them to be responsible. They tell them what they need to do to insure that they will be able to play this season. But when at home they aren’t nearly as restrictive as you might think. Road trips are a totally different situation. On road trips they do control almost your total time.

Quote Originally Posted by XUGRAD80 View Post

I’d suggest you read this pdf. In essence, when X is home for a week the player-coaches interaction is limited to no more than 4 hours per day/20 hours per week. So they basically are going to give players off at least 1 day per week, if they aren’t traveling to an away game. A lot times that’s on a Sunday, following a Saturday game. This means completely off....no film study, not special one one one practice, nothing. The coaches can’t even follow the players around to are sure they don’t leave their dorms or campus. Now the coaches may tell the athletes they don’t want them to go somewhere, but the best they can really do is punish them if they are late for practice, or skip school, or skip a scheduled study period. Believe me, that happens. Most coaches don’t have a lot of rules in this regard because they realize that if they do, word will get around and they are only cutting their own throats when it comes to recruiting. They give them guidelines for sure, they tell what they would like for them to do. They tell them to be responsible. They tell them what they need to do to insure that they will be able to play this season. But when at home they aren’t nearly as restrictive as you might think. Road trips are a totally different situation. On road trips they do control almost your total time.
    Didn't read the link and don't agree with your narrative.

Missing and or failing classes and having to sit out a game is more a lesson of responsibility than anything else.

Missing a practice can be viewed as detrimental to the team, and could result in a missed game

Causing problems (malcontent) in a program is detrimental to the team and could result in a suspension or even being dismissed. We've seen that at XU a number of times.

But the Covid thing is a whole different beast. it can ruin the entire season. I believe the coach is well within his authority to restrict what players can do. If they break the rules then they put the season at risk for everyone. I would think discipline would occur if Covid related rules are broken

I think all that makes sense in non COVID times. I am positive there are more restrictions during this COVID time.
    "I’m willing to sacrifice everything for this team. I’m going to dive for every loose ball, close out harder on every shot, block out for every rebound. I’m going to play harder than I’ve ever played. And I need you all to follow me." -MB '17

Quote Originally Posted by MHettel View Post
    Didn't read the link and don't agree with your narrative.

Missing and or failing classes and having to sit out a game is more a lesson of responsibility than anything else.

Missing a practice can be viewed as detrimental to the team, and could result in a missed game

Causing problems (malcontent) in a program is detrimental to the team and could result in a suspension or even being dismissed. We've seen that at XU a number of times.

But the Covid thing is a whole different beast. it can ruin the entire season. I believe the coach is well within his authority to restrict what players can do. If they break the rules then they put the season at risk for everyone. I would think discipline would occur if Covid related rules are broken
    read the rules.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-15-2021 at 02:24 PM.

I think all that makes sense in non COVID times. I am positive there are more restrictions during this COVID time.
    There’s nothing in the NCAA rule book that allows them to place extra restrictions on the athlete, just because they are an athlete, other than those stipulated in the rule book. Now, if the university has stipulated that there are additional restrictions/rules to be placed on the athletes, and the athletes agree to them as a condition of participation, that’s a different story. It’s quite possible that is the case, but we don’t know that for certain. I still think that they would have a hard time enforcing any such rule restricting their travel during “off duty” time.

They could easily tell them that they travel at their “own risk” and that if their travel did cause a disruption with the rest of the team that they would be held responsible. In other words....don’t take the trip unless you’re will to take the chance you might get COVID and cause other problems, and IF that happens you will pay the price. But I don’t think they would just outright say you CAN’T....more of a case of them saying DON’T.
    Last edited by XUGRAD80; 01-15-2021 at 02:30 PM.

There’s nothing in the NCAA rule book that allows them to place extra restrictions on the athlete, just because they are an athlete, other than those stipulated in the rule book. Now, if the university has stipulated that there are additional restrictions/rules to be placed on the athletes, and the athletes agree to them as a condition of participation, that’s a different story. It’s quite possible that is the case, but we don’t know that for certain. I still think that they would have a hard time enforcing any such rule restricting their travel during “off duty” time.

They could easily tell them that they travel at their “own risk” and that if their travel did cause a disruption with the rest of the team that they would be held responsible. In other words....don’t take the trip unless you’re will to take the chance you might get COVID and cause other problems, and IF that happens you will pay the price. But I don’t think they would just outright say you CAN’T....more of a case of them saying DON’T.
    You are splitting hairs

Yeah agree. I think it was a calculated risk to let their teams travel home for holidays but one that was the right decision. Came with risks but good for the players.
    Has Freemantle gone home with his parents? He stayed at X due to Covid in NJ for the summer.
    I only imagine his mom as being tougher than Zach and strongly suggesting he not come to NJ until Covid dies out.

Quote Originally Posted by xukeith View Post
    Has Freemantle gone home with his parents? He stayed at X due to Covid in NJ for the summer.
    I only imagine his mom as being tougher than Zach and strongly suggesting he not come to NJ until Covid dies out.
    No idea

You are splitting hairs
    Yeah, I'm not understanding the distinction either.

The NCAA has rules. Does the NCAA have rules that say you MUST get suspended if you miss a class? Or, does the NCAA have a rule that says you WONT be suspended if you miss a class? Or is it a decision made by the program? I think I know the answer.

Using that as a backdrop, I'm concluding that the rules and consequences or not following them are at the discretion of the coach.

There is no difference if a coach says "don't leave town" or "you cant leave town." In either case, if you were to leave town it would be in defiance of the coaches directive. This is well within their authority.